PDA

View Full Version : DL woes, etc.

cheesedips
08-14-2011, 11:35 AM
seems i cant get comfortable with my stance/technique...im built weird..my arms and legs are really just average length. at the top bar hits my balls. ouch. i have a decent belly to deal with as well. any suggestions or help would be nice...

theBarzeen
08-14-2011, 12:43 PM
I have the same problem at the top of the lift..... it's my T-Rex arms that cause it for me though...

Deadlift just takes 1000 repetitions to make technique fall in to place. When I tried to switch to sumo so that I could effectively gear-whore the deadlift my coach and I spent a whole year or year and a half working on it before going back to conventional. You just have to give it lots of time to perfect..... just remember that practice makes permanent. If you practice crap then you will lift like crap. Make every rep better than the last.

Good luck.

Dank27
08-16-2011, 02:54 PM
My height has been doing the same thing to me for years. I have always lifted conventional but I am looking to maybe switch to sumo style.

theBarzeen
08-16-2011, 03:27 PM
My height has been doing the same thing to me for years. I have always lifted conventional but I am looking to maybe switch to sumo style.

how tall are you?

Dank27
08-16-2011, 03:31 PM
6'4 308 with a big ol belly lol.

My old suit (inzer max dl) was not cut correctly and it killed my posture. This started some bad habits that I am working through now while lifting raw.

mastermonster
08-16-2011, 09:53 PM

My old suit (inzer max dl) was not cut correctly and it killed my posture. This started some bad habits that I am working through now while lifting raw.

I've found that most DLers with big bellies, and even very deep rib cages; have a harder time with sumo. This is due to the bar being 'pushed' out in front of their center of gravity because the arms are more in front of you and the belly/rib cage blocks the bar from drifting back to a balanced position. They tend to fall forward before they can lock out a big weight. I have seen some individuals who seem to defy the physics though. I come off the floor great sumo, but fall forward with anything much more than 600. I'm 5'10" with a hefty 40ish inch waist and a 54 inch chest with a very high, deep ribcage. I've tried several times to convert to sumo with no luck past low 6s.

The bright side is that all of this makes for a really efficient BP stroke. Mine's slightly less than 4 inches raw.

ScottYard
08-17-2011, 03:29 PM
It is what it is. Hit your abs 3-4 times per week and hope for the best lol.

theBarzeen
08-17-2011, 07:25 PM

I'm also 6'4" and usually cut to 308#...

I spent a good 18 months working the crap out of my sumo form because I thought the same thing. I had some REALLY good pullers helping me with it too..... and I never pulled more sumo than I could conventional.

I pulled 625 conventional... switched to sumo and hit 606, missed 633..... the next year only hit my 589 opener.... It was always awkward to pull like that and in a meet my hips were so fried from squatting that my pull suffered..... I switched back to conventional and hit 705 in the gym, 683 in a meet, just barely missing 733 at the top..... It just feels more natural for me to pull conventional.

If you look at all the top pullers who are tall they almost all pull conventional.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, maybe it'll work out better for you.... but it sucked for me.

Dank27
08-18-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm also 6'4" and usually cut to 308#...

I spent a good 18 months working the crap out of my sumo form because I thought the same thing. I had some REALLY good pullers helping me with it too..... and I never pulled more sumo than I could conventional.

I pulled 625 conventional... switched to sumo and hit 606, missed 633..... the next year only hit my 589 opener.... It was always awkward to pull like that and in a meet my hips were so fried from squatting that my pull suffered..... I switched back to conventional and hit 705 in the gym, 683 in a meet, just barely missing 733 at the top..... It just feels more natural for me to pull conventional.

If you look at all the top pullers who are tall they almost all pull conventional.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, maybe it'll work out better for you.... but it sucked for me.

I think you are probably right. I have done 3 or 4 workouts concentrating on SUMO. not only has the poundage not felt great I also feel my hips dieing out much earlier. I think I need to work on my core a bit more (posture is not great) and finally get my customer suit made. Stock suits have really cramped my form and it made me develop some bad habits.

JK1
08-18-2011, 10:49 AM
I've found that most DLers with big bellies, and even very deep rib cages; have a harder time with sumo. This is due to the bar being 'pushed' out in front of their center of gravity because the arms are more in front of you and the belly/rib cage blocks the bar from drifting back to a balanced position. They tend to fall forward before they can lock out a big weight. I have seen some individuals who seem to defy the physics though. I come off the floor great sumo, but fall forward with anything much more than 600. I'm 5'10" with a hefty 40ish inch waist and a 54 inch chest with a very high, deep ribcage. I've tried several times to convert to sumo with no luck past low 6s.

The bright side is that all of this makes for a really efficient BP stroke. Mine's slightly less than 4 inches raw.

I really need to get up north and spend a day deadlifting with you guys. Maybe you can see something I'm missing with setup outside of my grip issues.

You know how short my arms are and I'm definately not lacking in the gut department. I understand what you are saying, but it seems like the key with a person built like us is the time they lock their legs during the movement. If they lock as the bar is accelerating off the floor they can "fall back" into position. If they try to lock legs and pull back (as in a conventional deadlift) they end up falling forward like you are describing.

What day's are you guys training deads?

theBarzeen
08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
I think you are probably right. I have done 3 or 4 workouts concentrating on SUMO. not only has the poundage not felt great I also feel my hips dieing out much earlier. I think I need to work on my core a bit more (posture is not great) and finally get my customer suit made. Stock suits have really cramped my form and it made me develop some bad habits.

I agree with this ( on the suit)... It took me a while to find a suit combo that works for me. I finally settled on my 2-ply Overkill Deadlift suit with no briefs and loose straps..... it also took some work to learn how to set up and pull the bar in close ( while dropping my hips) so I wouldn't go forward with it. I also have T-rex arms and around a 5 or 6" bench stroke.....

Mark!
08-18-2011, 11:08 PM
I hate having a gut, being 6'1 and deadlifting. I can't pull sumo like I can conventional, it sucks getting to the bar and trying to get a breath with an already tight weight belt. One thing that has definitely helped me is rolling the bar in to me. I set up with it a little further out than normal, so my upper body is stretched out a bit more, not so compact, then breath, roll, pull. I'm not pulling as much as you guys likely, 535 right now, but doing this has gotten me a lot more comfort from the floor. I'm built like ya'll as well, I have decently long legs, normal torso, and T-Rex arms. Loving it for bench, hate it for squats.

mastermonster
08-19-2011, 11:16 AM
I really need to get up north and spend a day deadlifting with you guys. Maybe you can see something I'm missing with setup outside of my grip issues.

You know how short my arms are and I'm definately not lacking in the gut department. I understand what you are saying, but it seems like the key with a person built like us is the time they lock their legs during the movement. If they lock as the bar is accelerating off the floor they can "fall back" into position. If they try to lock legs and pull back (as in a conventional deadlift) they end up falling forward like you are describing.

What day's are you guys training deads?

Hey Jack! We'd love for you guys to come up. My guys could learn a lot from you as well! We deadlift on Fridays at 5:00pm, if other life stuff doesn't cause a schedule change (once in a while). Let me know when you're coming and I'll make sure we're on schedule. There's a couple of weeks in Sept. and one in Oct. that we probably will have to pull on Thurs. Hope to see you soon!