PDA

View Full Version : The last inch to touch

kingns
08-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Are there any tricks or techinques you use to get a tight shirt to touch?

I have a single ply overkill, I have only used it twice but it locks up at about a 1 board really hard. My first shirt was a rage x which I could touch even super light weights, so having the shirt totally stop me is new. I think if I arch more and stick my belly up more it would probly touch, but with the weights its taking to get down to a 1 board territory I cant really focus on anything but the weight.

Any help would be appreciated!

drew
08-16-2011, 06:17 AM
1. Stop focusing on the weight. Focus only on technique, the weight doesn't matter.

2. Learn to get weight down fast. Read The Art of Triples on Elitefts. It will help.

3. Learn to be patient. If you only have an inch to go, you're right there and shouldn't have a problem touching. Just be patient and let the weight come in.

4. Squeeze your glutes hard and push your hips up, it will help you meet th bar better.

5. Do reverse band benching as an assistance movement, use blue bands and just the bar. This will help you learn to meet the bar to your belly.

Fortunately it sounds like your problem is mostly mental. You just need to focus on doing the right things and forget everything else.

ScottYard
08-16-2011, 10:09 AM
5 sets of 2 with around 85-90% of your shirt max. Do this for 3-4 weeks and touching wont be an issue.

Travis Bell
08-16-2011, 11:28 AM
With that shirt, it's going to take a few sessions for it to break in. Give it time. Make sure the shoulders are pulled up all the way and you'll be good.

theBarzeen
08-16-2011, 03:41 PM
I agree with what has already been said..... and I'll add that with triples or doubles you can use your first rep to feel out the groove then use more speed to take the second rep to the exact same spot but faster...

The overkill shirts need a good 4 or 5 weeks to really break in. You need to work to the chest often enough to know where your groove is. And you need to use some bar speed to get the weight there. Stop thinking about the weight and start focussing on form.

When I was first getting used to my 2-ply overkill shirt I was benching ~585 in it.... I was convinced that I couldn't touch with anything less than 550, but I went to a bench clinic that Rob Luyando put on and he got me to touch with only 365. One year and a half later, in that SAME shirt, I hit my first 700+ in a meet. All it took was someone like Rob, who is an AMAZING technician in the shirt, to help me figure it out.

vdizenzo
08-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Lots of great advice here. You can also wet the shirt down a little, that will help it give a little more.