PDA

View Full Version : Increasing my fat intake was the best thing I ever did

KristianT
08-16-2011, 06:41 AM
So I am a FFB and have done numerious natural bulk and cut phases. However as of not too long ago I found myself cutting out a lot of fat and carbs from my diet to try to shred up. I was not getting any results at all, if anything I seemed to be going backwards. My lifts were LOOSING intensity, I was loosing strength and my physique was deteriorating. I thought that my diet was solid and I was training consistently as well. I kept trying and trying, I blamed my lack of umph in the gym on other things like "ooh It was just a bad day" or other psychological reasons such as being worn out from a long day at work. It did not even occur to me that despite my years of training experience that what I was doing with my nutrition was fundamentally retarded.

One day I decided to *cheat* and snack on some natural peanut butter prior to a workout to give me an energy boost for my deteriorating lifts. I couldnt beleive the difference that it made.. . Since then ( about 2 months ago ) I have significantly increased my fat intake (through natural peanut butter, fish oil, olive oil, meats etc) and every single aspect of my lifting has improved A TONNE. My strength has began to skyrocket, my endurance is much better, my lifts are a lot more intense, my physique looks considerably better already and I just feel a lot better in general. Comparing myself now to how I was before I feel as though I am on steroids (which I am not. But speaking of which, the increased fat intake may have increased my testosterone production).

The thing that made me so suprissed about how things turned out was I do quite a bit of reading about nutrition and lifting. I thought that I knew what I was doing. I guess the more that we know the more we are tempted to stray from the basics and try to experiment with things on our own (which for me was a bad thing with cutting my fat intake).

Back to the basics I go :indian:

Off Road
08-16-2011, 06:58 AM
Nice post, thanks.

dynamo
08-16-2011, 09:15 AM
good to know, I've been contemplating adding more fat to my diet, most days I am low on the carb intake, so I gotta get energy from somewhere.

I went to a diner on sunday after benching and my buddy paid, said I could get whatever I wanted, I said are you sure? he said yes so I got a cheese burger with a side of fries, 4 cups of coffee, a 3 egg omelet with bacon sausage and ham, and a side of scrapple (about 4 inches long, half an inch thick, deep fried). I swear the next day when I woke up I was leaner. So I am going to experiment with adding more fat like you are doing.

IronDiggy
08-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the reminder to pop my fish oil caps for the day.Hah, I find on days I take in a steady stream of fats I feel a lot better. If I eat them all at once I turn into a sloth.

BallsWideDeep
08-16-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm 180lbs. I'm eating about 85g of fat and 4000 calories on lifting days. I have about 110g of fat and 3600 calories on my couple rest days. What kind of numbers are you guys talking?

chevelle2291
08-16-2011, 01:17 PM
good to know, I've been contemplating adding more fat to my diet, most days I am low on the carb intake, so I gotta get energy from somewhere.

I went to a diner on sunday after benching and my buddy paid, said I could get whatever I wanted, I said are you sure? he said yes so I got a cheese burger with a side of fries, 4 cups of coffee, a 3 egg omelet with bacon sausage and ham, and a side of scrapple (about 4 inches long, half an inch thick, deep fried). I swear the next day when I woke up I was leaner. So I am going to experiment with adding more fat like you are doing.

Might just be lack of water retention from decreased carbs. Happened to me on a drastic level when I started to diet and decreased my carbs a bunch.

Behemoth
08-16-2011, 01:56 PM
So I am a FFB and have done numerious natural bulk and cut phases. However as of not too long ago I found myself cutting out a lot of fat and carbs from my diet to try to shred up. I was not getting any results at all, if anything I seemed to be going backwards. My lifts were LOOSING intensity, I was loosing strength and my physique was deteriorating. I thought that my diet was solid and I was training consistently as well. I kept trying and trying, I blamed my lack of umph in the gym on other things like "ooh It was just a bad day" or other psychological reasons such as being worn out from a long day at work. It did not even occur to me that despite my years of training experience that what I was doing with my nutrition was fundamentally retarded.

One day I decided to *cheat* and snack on some natural peanut butter prior to a workout to give me an energy boost for my deteriorating lifts. I couldnt beleive the difference that it made.. . Since then ( about 2 months ago ) I have significantly increased my fat intake (through natural peanut butter, fish oil, olive oil, meats etc) and every single aspect of my lifting has improved A TONNE. My strength has began to skyrocket, my endurance is much better, my lifts are a lot more intense, my physique looks considerably better already and I just feel a lot better in general. Comparing myself now to how I was before I feel as though I am on steroids (which I am not. But speaking of which, the increased fat intake may have increased my testosterone production).

The thing that made me so suprissed about how things turned out was I do quite a bit of reading about nutrition and lifting. I thought that I knew what I was doing. I guess the more that we know the more we are tempted to stray from the basics and try to experiment with things on our own (which for me was a bad thing with cutting my fat intake).

Back to the basics I go :indian:

What leads you to believe that your success was due to the increase in fat and not the due to the increase in calories?

How low was your fat and calories prior to upping it? And what was it after?

Behemoth
08-16-2011, 02:03 PM

I'm guessing you've been dieting for some time now? I wouldn't be quick to jump on assuming this means you're deficient in dietary fat. If you've been on a diet for a while an acute surplus of calories is almost always going to make you look awesome. It's why bodybuilders carb up. If you're in a prolonged deficit you're going to gradually flatten out like it or not. That big meal probably had you tighter and more vascular also. It's a fun thing to experience but it doesn't mean you're fat deficient.

dynamo
08-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Might just be lack of water retention from decreased carbs. Happened to me on a drastic level when I started to diet and decreased my carbs a bunch.

could be, but my carb intake that day was ridiculous, that meal was probably close to 5000 calories, it was a diner, no consideration for anything but flavor and I loved it all over.

I'm guessing you've been dieting for some time now? I wouldn't be quick to jump on assuming this means you're deficient in dietary fat. If you've been on a diet for a while an acute surplus of calories is almost always going to make you look awesome. It's why bodybuilders carb up. If you're in a prolonged deficit you're going to gradually flatten out like it or not. That big meal probably had you tighter and more vascular also. It's a fun thing to experience but it doesn't mean you're fat deficient.

Yeah I've been dieting for 3 months I would say. I am learning what works, and I am more concerned about keeping my strength than losing weight so I am experimenting and not trying to crash my system by just dropping my calories down to nothing. The initial 15 pound drop of 275-260 took no time, so I assumed water weight. Now I am at 260 lbs and I need to figure out how to get rid of another 20 pounds.

Its coming off, its working its way from the extremities to the midsection. I was vascular as F right after that meal and the next day, I assumed it was the insulin spike, man those fries were gooood, they weren't even salted.

The goal is to get to 242 for PL meets, and maybe even have a sweet bod to show off in the summer.

TBH I haven't kept track of my macros like I should, mostly because I lost weight so quick after I cut out carbs. I will need to write up my meal macros to see where my fats are. I keep my protein around 300g/day and I keep my carbs under 150g/day. So far today I haven't had over 50g of carb, but I did eat 1000 calories worth of almonds which is about 90g of fats. I feel pretty good, but again, I'm just trying new things out.

All in all not fat deficient today, and you're probably right I just need to be more vigilant.

Behemoth
08-16-2011, 03:27 PM

Unless he drank no water that meal caused anything but a reduction in fluid retention. It was the opposite of actually retaining more water that caused him to look "leaner". Each gram of glycogen he stored pulled a few grams of water into the muscle with it.

Appearance of lean mass jumps up while non lean mass doesn't = look leaner.

dynamo
08-16-2011, 05:44 PM
I drank a ton of water. Its the only way to survive caffeine force feeding nowadays

KristianT
08-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Behemoth you bring up an interesting point about calorie increase vs fat increase. I lean towards giving credit to the fat increase because even on my cheat days where I would have more calories (but not necessarily increase my fat significantly) I still felt that I was underperforming at the gym.

In terms of my fat intake, before It was probably at 0.3g per lb of LBM. Which was just way too low. Now (after) I am keeping it around 100g which puts me around ~0.6 per LB of LBM ( I am 195 at 12% ).

I am most shocked at the actual physical difference that I have noticed since making this diet change. I have lost a decent amount of bodyfat while maintaining muscle. Now I mentioned that my diet change significantly increased the intensity of my workouts so It may be that the improved workouts are what actually improved my physique. I don't want to make uneducated theories but It was like my body was stubbornly clinging onto its bodyfat because fat was a scarce substance to me.

Behemoth
08-16-2011, 07:28 PM
I drank a ton of water. Its the only way to survive caffeine force feeding nowadays

Caffeine force feeding? I'm unaware of what this is?

On a relative note anyone who has done or tried to do a dry carb load can attest to just how miserable it is. When you eat carbs the body is going to want water. Don't believe me... try it.

Behemoth you bring up an interesting point about calorie increase vs fat increase. I lean towards giving credit to the fat increase because even on my cheat days where I would have more calories (but not necessarily increase my fat significantly) I still felt that I was underperforming at the gym.

In terms of my fat intake, before It was probably at 0.3g per lb of LBM. Which was just way too low. Now (after) I am keeping it around 100g which puts me around ~0.6 per LB of LBM ( I am 195 at 12% ).

I am most shocked at the actual physical difference that I have noticed since making this diet change. I have lost a decent amount of bodyfat while maintaining muscle. Now I mentioned that my diet change significantly increased the intensity of my workouts so It may be that the improved workouts are what actually improved my physique. I don't want to make uneducated theories but It was like my body was stubbornly clinging onto its bodyfat because fat was a scarce substance to me.

There's no understood explanation for a lot of what our bodies do. What's important is to follow what works for you. There's nothing sillier than following a cookie cutter template because it's "the right way". The only right way is the way the works best for you.

dynamo
08-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Caffeine force feeding?

Oh its just my coping mechanism right now for stressful work/family life. I was doing E/C/DMAA but I was crashing too hard. When I (ab)use any of those stims I need to drink at least a gallon of water every 4 hours it seems or I feel like total crap.

Behemoth
08-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Ephedrine and dmaa in a stack sounds frightening, I'm not sure that's a smart (or even an effective) synergy. Regardless of what stims you use you're going to build a tolerance to them. Chasing down the effects you initally got is going to be futile. Having said that I have seen it advocated to occasionally add l-tyrosine to an e/c stack as a preferred method to enhance the stimulant effect when occasionally desired. IE - a big leg day.

chevelle2291
08-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Unless he drank no water that meal caused anything but a reduction in fluid retention. It was the opposite of actually retaining more water that caused him to look "leaner". Each gram of glycogen he stored pulled a few grams of water into the muscle with it.

Appearance of lean mass jumps up while non lean mass doesn't = look leaner.

Interesting.

On the same note, what would your 'protocol' be if you were trying to look lean for a certain event, ie a pool party or some bullshit. Or do you think fucking with carbs/water before such an event is futile, and it's best just to get to 8% before the event and look joocy no matter what?

Behemoth
08-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Interesting.

On the same note, what would your 'protocol' be if you were trying to look lean for a certain event, ie a pool party or some bullshit. Or do you think fucking with carbs/water before such an event is futile, and it's best just to get to 8% before the event and look joocy no matter what?

It's less about the percentage and more about how depleted you are. Two people both 8% will have totally different results stuffing their faces at a buffet is one is depleted and one is not. One will look fatter and one will look bigger/leaner.

If you've been dieting for months and have an event in a day or two then yeah, you almost certainly have room to tinker and improve in this short amount of time. If you haven't been and you think you can make a difference in a day or two you're mostly delusional.

Derekflint
08-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Had never heard of DMAA. Thanks for the 411.

JSully
08-17-2011, 09:03 AM
I would still like to see what kind of macros he had before he increased his fats vs after he increased his fats. I don't care too much about his protein level, but carbs and fats specifically before and after..

dynamo
08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Ephedrine and dmaa in a stack sounds frightening, I'm not sure that's a smart (or even an effective) synergy. Regardless of what stims you use you're going to build a tolerance to them. Chasing down the effects you initally got is going to be futile. Having said that I have seen it advocated to occasionally add l-tyrosine to an e/c stack as a preferred method to enhance the stimulant effect when occasionally desired. IE - a big leg day.

Might go ahead and try that out. I like DMAA it works well, but its stimulant effects don't last long, ephedrine does last almost all day, and caffeine is the mildest, and I don't mind taking some form o caffeine before a workout to get through it. I'm off everything but caffeine for now (love my coffee) but I'm going to have to look in to the tyrosine bc E and DMAA work way better. I average 5-6 hours of sleep a night so stims are almost necessary for me given my life at this point.

I would still like to see what kind of macros he had before he increased his fats vs after he increased his fats. I don't care too much about his protein level, but carbs and fats specifically before and after..

If you're talking in regards to my huge meal on that sunday all I had was 2 scoops of nitrean+ (46g) and fish oil before I worked out that was at 830 am, I didn't leave the gym until 1130, I was done my workout by 945 and was almost ready to leave until my partner showed up at 950 and I spotted him through his workout.

JSully
08-17-2011, 06:15 PM
no I'm referring to the OP, thanks though