PDA

View Full Version : aspartame

synonymous
08-16-2011, 07:04 AM
My doctor told me to cut the aspartame from my diet. I use it to curb sugar cravings. This is a loose translation of what he said (Conversation wasn't in English): When you put a sugary substance in your body with the calories, your pancreas reacts regardless. It's like when we smell food and then start getting physical reactions like a grumbling stomach or watering of the mouth. This is messing with your body in a bad way so I recommend if you do want a bit of sugar, drink a bit of sugar.

My wife has been saying the same thing for years. Never had a doctor say it to me. I've been having some blood sugar issues and trying to get them under control with proper eating patterns. I've gotta find a better way to curb my sugar cravings. If anyone can share some ideas? Or opinions on what the doctor said.

Alex.V
08-16-2011, 08:38 AM
He is TECHNICALLY correct- there is some evidence that artificial sweeteners produce a minor insulin spike.

However, most of the data I've seen shows a very, very minor response, well below what is caused by the ingestion of ANY food. (e.g., a few grams of protein will cause an insulin spike).

I hate to say it, but doctors tend to be terrible sources for such things. (I live in the middle of one of the largest medical communities in the world, am friends with dozens of and know literally hundreds of medical students and MDs, and they are all VERY quick to admit they are given next to zero training on nutrition.)

Put it this way: They're safe for type I diabetics, who can't afford to mess with these things.

He does have a point, though... if you're experiencing serious blood sugar drops and are feeling lightheaded, weak, etc... then chances are your diet may be missing something (like calories).

Bottom line: Don't worry about aspartame and your blood sugar, worry about your blood sugar for other reasons.

chevelle2291
08-16-2011, 08:52 AM
I had a Large Diet Coke from McDonald's yesterday, and then drank a 2 liter of Coke Zero with dinner.

http://encefalus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/problem.jpg

krazylarry
08-16-2011, 12:31 PM
I love aspartame. Doctors are great a prescribing drugs, other than that, they have not told me anything I didn't know already.

BallsWideDeep
08-16-2011, 12:53 PM
If you want to try something natural, there is Stevia. That doesn't mean it isn't carcinogenic though. The MMA fighter, Diego Sanchez, was going crazy about this sweet "White Truth". He has lost his mind snorting Stevia and listening to Tony Robbins cd's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiJEeg0yEN8

Check out his mentor Dan Quinn. This shit is classic. I called Dan Quinn in the middle of the night. I was going insane in a meth'd out redneck voice. He was happy to talk to me, but said he was tired from fucking so much pussy. Oh yeah, he invented cold fusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PblXhbZNa3s&feature=related

mchicia1
08-16-2011, 01:09 PM
I had a Large Diet Coke from McDonald's yesterday, and then drank a 2 liter of Coke Zero with dinner.

http://encefalus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/problem.jpg

I frackin live off the stuff now. Cherry coke zero is pretty good!

Behemoth
08-16-2011, 02:19 PM
My doctor told me to cut the aspartame from my diet. I use it to curb sugar cravings. This is a loose translation of what he said (Conversation wasn't in English): When you put a sugary substance in your body with the calories, your pancreas reacts regardless. It's like when we smell food and then start getting physical reactions like a grumbling stomach or watering of the mouth. This is messing with your body in a bad way so I recommend if you do want a bit of sugar, drink a bit of sugar.

My wife has been saying the same thing for years. Never had a doctor say it to me. I've been having some blood sugar issues and trying to get them under control with proper eating patterns. I've gotta find a better way to curb my sugar cravings. If anyone can share some ideas? Or opinions on what the doctor said.

It's the basis for the argument that diet drinks make you fat, but it's usually not explained and people are left believing their 5 calorie 20oz soda is actually directly worse than it's brother that contains 60g of sugar.

If they're making you hungrier avoid them. If you adhere to your diet better with them then keep them in. This is all it really boils down to.

On a side note try supplementing with chromium picolinate. There are a lot of mixed opinions on it and it was at one time pretty controversial. For me it's night and day when I supplement with it, my sugary cravings are significantly suppressed while using it.

Derekflint
08-17-2011, 05:18 AM
I love aspartame. Doctors are great a prescribing drugs, other than that, they have not told me anything I didn't know already.

AMEN!

alexspt
08-30-2011, 09:08 AM
I heard there are some good sugar substitutes out there in grocery stores. Google sugar substitutes- im sure you'll find some good ones. I know one is "agave nectar" (not sure on the spelling there). Taste like sugar but it's not.

Holto
08-30-2011, 12:50 PM
I heard there are some good sugar substitutes out there in grocery stores. Google sugar substitutes- im sure you'll find some good ones. I know one is "agave nectar" (not sure on the spelling there). Taste like sugar but it's not.

This agave looks quite promising.

Alex.V
08-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Agave nectar... for all intents and purposes, it's ultra high-fructose honey.

Take that for whatever it's worth.

Giloo
09-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Aspartame is very good drug and most of the diet drinks contain aspartame. But I read a research paper in which they stated that aspartame creates brain disorders and brain problems. Tell me that is it true or just a controversy.

Mark!
09-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Aspartame is very good drug and most of the diet drinks contain aspartame. But I read a research paper in which they stated that aspartame creates brain disorders and brain problems. Tell me that is it true or just a controversy.

And cell phones are going to make your FUCKING head explode! Seriously from what I've read, the natural sweetener guys started this controversy, and there hasn't been any established, publishable link between aspartame and brain tumors/issues.

Mark!
09-05-2011, 03:13 AM
It's the basis for the argument that diet drinks make you fat, but it's usually not explained and people are left believing their 5 calorie 20oz soda is actually directly worse than it's brother that contains 60g of sugar.

If they're making you hungrier avoid them. If you adhere to your diet better with them then keep them in. This is all it really boils down to.

On a side note try supplementing with chromium picolinate. There are a lot of mixed opinions on it and it was at one time pretty controversial. For me it's night and day when I supplement with it, my sugary cravings are significantly suppressed while using it.

Basically everything Rory says, I do. As far as trying something to see what effect it has on the diet and going from there. I can drink diet drinks all day long, doesn't bother my cravings, or knock me out of ketosis at all, and I have been supplementing with chromium picolinate for quite some time now.