PDA

View Full Version : Protein Advice

skully1
08-19-2011, 07:50 PM
I m 5'10, 175 lbs, 30 years old, and I just started lifting again for the first time in years. 2 quick questions: how many grams of protein should i take in each day to build some mass? When I used to lift, I did grams in body weight but this seemed almost impossible to keep up. Secondly, how long will it reasonably take before I see some real results (when I used to lift, I think I gave up after like 6 weeks or so)? Thanks.

Off Road
08-19-2011, 08:00 PM
1 gram protein for 1 lb bodyweight is about right. If you find it hard to get enough then supplement with a quality proten powder like Nitrean (see my sig for link).

It will take you a lot longer than 6 weeks to see any significant difference. In fact, it may take years to realize your goals. Just get started and make it a part of your weekly schedule.

Alex.V
08-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Protein alone doesn't build mass, calories do. And it'll take as long as it has to. You're asking the wrong questions.

Off Road
08-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Protein alone doesn't build mass, calories do.
Belial makes a good point. Eat enough total calories to see a positive change on the scale every week. Most guys feel that gaining 1 lb a week is a good goal.

skully1
08-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks...and how many calories should I be consuming? And from what types of foods? Is the calorie intake as important as protein intake?

tom183
08-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Read the stickies in the diet and nutrition forum.

thecityalive
08-20-2011, 01:02 AM
1 gram protein for 1 lb bodyweight is about right. If you find it hard to get enough then supplement with a quality proten powder like Nitrean (see my sig for link).

It will take you a lot longer than 6 weeks to see any significant difference. In fact, it may take years to realize your goals. Just get started and make it a part of your weekly schedule.

Truth. I started a program at 172, and am at a comfortable 180 now (after week 7). Keep in mind, this is with out flux, as sometimes your body weight will ebb and flow as you consume and workout. It will take your body a while to get acclimated to it's newer state.