PDA

View Full Version : Gene Rychlak leaving the IPA, forming Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate

drew
08-20-2011, 12:14 PM
1CH8x0N2QAM

Travis Bell
08-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Oh good grief. Here we go again.

What lifters spoke and when did they say it? Furthermore what did they say?

Tim K
08-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Oh good grief. Here we go again.

What lifters spoke and when did they say it? Furthermore what did they say?

Agreed.

drew
08-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Don't know but don't really care about the politics of it. Gene is a good guy and he runs a good meet so I'll continue to support him as long as his meets continue to be fair, consistent and pro-lifter.

drew
08-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Part 2
0AepNye-qHo

Part 3
6O3h6TlZ850

Mark!
08-20-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't know, I agree with the fact that federations, from what I've read at least, need to be reformed. But, what's the deal with all these federations? If the lifters really really didn't like the IPA, there's only about 10000 other feds to lift in that would be more suited towards whatever they're looking for. However, if he can create a federation that can provide said change, and make it more geared towards the lifter and not politics, and ffs get some accurate calls from ALL judges, I'd be all for it as I start competing in meets. From what I've seen in some vids posted here and abroad, some judges really miss the call, there needs to be that standard of excellence employed across all feds. Maybe he can provide that spark and get some actual change.

BoAnderson71
08-21-2011, 12:50 AM
I just don't understand why seeing how much you can squat, bench, and deadlift has become complicated and political. It seems to be a pretty straightforward concept. Good for him for trying to better the sport, hopefully he does.

Mark!
08-21-2011, 02:44 AM
I just don't understand why seeing how much you can squat, bench, and deadlift has become complicated and political. It seems to be a pretty straightforward concept. Good for him for trying to better the sport, hopefully he does.

Because it's no longer about how much you lift, it's about how much money Mr. meet organizer can make off the meet.

ct67_72
08-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Don't know but don't really care about the politics of it. Gene is a good guy and he runs a good meet so I'll continue to support him as long as his meets continue to be fair, consistent and pro-lifter.
well said, thats how I feel exactly.
He is a lifter, who is starting this for other lifters. I know this has happened before, many, many, times at that, But I think if anyone is going to do it and make it work/stick its Gene.

jtteg_x
08-21-2011, 04:43 PM
sure does suck paying that $30-40 membership card that expires in 1 year :(

Travis Bell
08-22-2011, 05:17 AM

Drew this whole thing is political. Obviously he's upset with Challiet (he wouldn't be the first one to get pissed at Mark) so he's starting a new way for his meets to be legitimized without having to join a new federation.

I've known Gene for a long time and yes he's a great guy. I'm just not sure I'm seeing this in the same light that he is.

drew
08-22-2011, 05:53 AM
Drew this whole thing is political. Obviously he's upset with Challiet (he wouldn't be the first one to get pissed at Mark) so he's starting a new way for his meets to be legitimized without having to join a new federation.

I've known Gene for a long time and yes he's a great guy. I'm just not sure I'm seeing this in the same light that he is.

Travis, I understand that it's entirely political. I just don't care. I'm interesting in lifting in the best meet and in my limited experience, Gene runs the best meets. He's also never given me a reason to dislike or mistrust him. So as long as he's running meets, I'll lift in them.

Travis Bell
08-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Travis, I understand that it's entirely political. I just don't care. I'm interesting in lifting in the best meet and in my limited experience, Gene runs the best meets. He's also never given me a reason to dislike or mistrust him. So as long as he's running meets, I'll lift in them.

LIke I said, I like Gene. Never said anything about disliking him or distrusting him. You were the one who posted this though so that's why I was confused.

What he's setting up is already being done with the ProAm. Qualifying totals, no membership cards needed etc etc.

Not that I'm opposed to him leaving the IPA or trying to get more countries involved. That's all great. But I don't understand why, if he is interested in unifying things more, that he doesn't try and work with the guys who have been doing this for several years now. In my opinion it'd be awesome to have 3 ProAm's. One out east, one out west and one where it's been held. I think we'd get a lot more people involved this way.

I suppose at the end of the day though it doesnt matter who sanctions each, they can all be different for all I care.

Ah well. I don't understand stuff like this or why it has to be that way, but it is what it is. On a side note, it looks like Gene has still been training. Would be awesome to see him come and hit a huge bench!

drew
08-22-2011, 09:41 AM
LIke I said, I like Gene. Never said anything about disliking him or distrusting him. You were the one who posted this though so that's why I was confused.

What he's setting up is already being done with the ProAm. Qualifying totals, no membership cards needed etc etc.

Not that I'm opposed to him leaving the IPA or trying to get more countries involved. That's all great. But I don't understand why, if he is interested in unifying things more, that he doesn't try and work with the guys who have been doing this for several years now. In my opinion it'd be awesome to have 3 ProAm's. One out east, one out west and one where it's been held. I think we'd get a lot more people involved this way.

I suppose at the end of the day though it doesnt matter who sanctions each, they can all be different for all I care.

Ah well. I don't understand stuff like this or why it has to be that way, but it is what it is. On a side note, it looks like Gene has still been training. Would be awesome to see him come and hit a huge bench!

I agree. I would prefer to see him join up with someone else and hold down the northeast that way. But when all is said and done, it's his money and reputation and he's going to do what he wants. As long as he's running meets, I don't care if he calls it the mickey mouse powerlifting fun house, I'll still lift there.

And yeah, it would be cool to see him get under the bar again.

vdizenzo
08-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Travis, I think it's a brilliant idea to have a pro/am on the east coast as well. Very interesting idea. Wow, strong and smart, you're a catch.

NITF
08-22-2011, 10:45 AM
had to post this here... dunno if everyone's seen it or not but eh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E27sf8btio0

Alex.V
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Because it's no longer about how much you lift, it's about how much money Mr. meet organizer can make off the meet.

It's almost starting to sound like a mainstream professional sport....

joey54
08-22-2011, 12:51 PM
I know top level guys want to lift at the biggest meets. Someone like me, I just want to lift somewhere relatively close at a well run meet that doesn't take too much out of my bank account.

Mark!
08-22-2011, 02:02 PM
I know top level guys want to lift at the biggest meets. Someone like me, I just want to lift somewhere relatively close at a well run meet that doesn't take too much out of my bank account.

For someone just getting on the platform, this is what's important to me, a cleanly run meet that doesn't drain my account.

Travis Bell
08-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Well it'd appear I needed to give Gene some time as I just read that he's working with Bill Carpenter and Dan Dague on a meet for next year. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Priest
08-25-2011, 01:54 PM
I like Gene. He is a good guy. I dont know what to think of this.

vdizenzo
08-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Just saw that Dan Dague was appointed vp of IPA.

Travis Bell
08-26-2011, 09:51 AM
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/files/IPA%20Statement%20update.pdf

For more information ^

Danny Blakenship is the new IPA president. Certainly a good leader for the IPA

vdizenzo
08-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Regardless of all the extraneous happenings, I do want to say that Gene and Ame put on top quality meets.

This is not a shot at guys like Gene, Jesse, or Bill Carpenter and the like, I just wish multiply lifting could pull itself together. Have a WPF (west pl fed), EPF (east pl fed), central, southern, and perhaps northern, you get the picture. You buy your card for your geographical area, but then make it good for all the others. I don't mind paying one card fee, people have to make a few bucks and cover expenses. This removes some of the monetary constraints that keep from unifying multiply. I know there would still be other feds around, but everyone would know who the big boys on the block are and that would give more lifters reason to compete under the umbrella so to speak.

Then there could be regional meets. maybe pro am regionals, a national meet. There's so much potential. Too bad egos will never allow this to happen. I'd be willing to invest some of my own money into this. Get a true board represented by the entire country instead of those who for the most part are just local to their fed.

Again, I appreciate all those who put on meets. It is not an enviable task, nor is anyone making bank from it. It's just that everyone says "We are a fed for the lifters." In reality it's done more to fracture the sport than pull it together. If people were really about the lifter they could put their differences aside and make something really great. Just my humble opinion.

theBarzeen
08-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Good on him for doing what he can to better the sport.... for the lifter who is really just concerned with putting up big weight, I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

It's another way to get more meets ( and from what I hear his are great meets to lift at)

I don't care how many feds there are just so long as they continue to put on meets I'll lift wherever I can. APF, UPA, raw so far... planning to do the pro am eventually, maybe an SPF meet.... whatever. I just show up and lift heavy things I could care less about the politics.

Rob Luyando
08-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Ladies and Gentleman and i use those terms very loosely. I wish Gene the best of luck with his new venture. He runs great meets from what I am told and I am sure what ever Federation name you put on it he will still continue to do so. Federations come and go. More seem to come then go. I never really concerned myself with Federations when I choose my meets. Its usually the meet dierector or the guys that i want to compete with or against that make my choices for me. I have had great exsperiences at meets run by a multiple choices of Federations. I don't give a rats ass what the Federation is. Find a Federation or Multiple Federations that have rules you want to be governed by while you are competing. Politics will always be a part of the sport like it or not. And you will see Politics in one form or another in EVERY Federation out there. Train hard pick a meet shoot for the stars. Remember to have fun because if your not having fun your not doing it right.

Mark!
08-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Rob I agree entirely. I just had my first meet, and I had the time of my freaking life doing it. Everyone there rocked, was an awesome atmosphere and great all around experience. I've read horror stories of guys in their first meets who get so down about it they never want to compete again, thank God I didn't have that kind of crap happen to me. Competing in a meet with a group of guys I want to compete with, and at places I enjoy being at along with a non bank draining registration fee is what is important to me.