PDA

View Full Version : SPF Pro Am - 3,000 lbs Total

Mark!
08-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Dave Hoff totaled 2910 (275 record)
Donnie Thompson totaled 3000 (super-heavy and world record)
AJ Roberts totaled 2830 (308 record)
Michael Cartinian totaled 2300 (new 181 record)

This was definitely the meet to be at, amazing records set all around. Big Donnie Thompson totalling 3000, man that's just amazing.

Mark!
08-21-2011, 05:16 PM
I guess that was actually the SPF Pro Am. I guess if a mod can change it to new WR total, or 3000lb total, or something flashy, that'd be swell.

Brian C
08-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Holy hell! 3k is nothing short of amazing. Cant wait to see some vid of this meet.

Mark!
08-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Donnie's 1265 squat is up on youtube, I'd link it but I'm at work, and the youtube nazi's won't allow it. Looked just below parallel to me. Freaking awesome

Alex.V
08-21-2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D4Vp5NBoQQ

Sensei
08-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Let's try the link again. I'm not a hater, but that ain't parallel.

3D4Vp5NBoQQ

mike95763
08-21-2011, 08:22 PM
That is an amazing total and an amazing squat for Donnie. I think with the little dip he does at the bottom he actually breaks parallel. Tough to tell for sure, but I'd pass it from the front. Either way it is a heck of a lot better than his squat on the previous record total. Congrats to Donnie and all the other amazing lifters who competed at the Pro/Am

Mark!
08-21-2011, 09:18 PM
There were definitely some big boys out there putting on one hell of a show. I think, like you said, with that little dip it gets him slightly below. With some of the squats I've seen white lighted, that squat definitely passes with at least 2 whites.

drew
08-22-2011, 06:01 AM
Congratulations to Donnie. 3000 lbs is a ridiculous total.

It's unfortunate that the SPF has gotten itself such a bad reputation. Squat may have been a bit high, but much deeper than a lot of sqauts that have been passed by the SPF lately. Can't take anything away from Donnie though. Huge accomplishment.

Lones Green
08-22-2011, 08:31 AM
I was at the meet and Donnie put on a really impressive performance. He hit somewhere around 1050 in the warmup room and it was insane how fast it was. Not to mention the guys size.

As for the judging, there was a projector screen set up to watch the lifter on the platform. Watching the actual lifters in person vs on the projector screen, it was insane how different depths looked between the two.

joey54
08-22-2011, 08:58 AM
3000 lbs was something he had been chasing for years. Does anyone known if Donnie has future plans in powerlifting?

Travis Bell
08-22-2011, 11:44 AM
I believe he intends on dropping some weight. He's been a Shw for a long time now and I think he's getting tired of it.

dbc3po
08-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Joey Im not sure what his plans are, I know after briefly talking to him he said he is passing on the Bullfarm meet. I know he has said in the past once he got 3k he was done but if you know Donnie you never can tell what he will do next. Some will talk about his squat being high but fact is he went and did head to head with the best, Im proud to call him a friend.

Suprman1020
08-22-2011, 12:09 PM
I agree with Sensei. I think the guy is an animal to even consider having that much weight on his back, but it wasn't close, even with the dip.

SELK
08-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Ton of weight, Donnie must be very happy with breaking 3k, i cant wait to see the 950 bench as well, I think thats the highest full meet bench ever?

On the depth issue, because thats all everyone is going to talk about for the next 2 weeks.. No doubt that that squat wouldn't have passed in most federations, but it did pass at this meet and looks about on par with what has been required in the past there. If you want super deep squats, this is likely not the federation you would lift in, seems the SPF is all about putting up the biggest numbers humanly possible. What im saying is that its nothing ground breaking that some high squats got passed in a multiply meet, it happens in every single one haha, I am sure those who compete multiply for any length of time have had some questionable calls go in their favour.

Mark!
08-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Ton of weight, Donnie must be very happy with breaking 3k, i cant wait to see the 950 bench as well, I think thats the highest full meet bench ever?

On the depth issue, because thats all everyone is going to talk about for the next 2 weeks.. No doubt that that squat wouldn't have passed in most federations, but it did pass at this meet and looks about on par with what has been required in the past there. If you want super deep squats, this is likely not the federation you would lift in, seems the SPF is all about putting up the biggest numbers humanly possible. What im saying is that its nothing ground breaking that some high squats got passed in a multiply meet, it happens in every single one haha, I am sure those who compete multiply for any length of time have had some questionable calls go in their favour.

Exactly, I've seen higher squats get called good lifts, the judge called it a good squat, that's all that matters. That was an awesome display of strength, and I think Selk that the 950 was also a WR bench for the full power meet.

J.C.
08-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Out of interest, does Donnie also have the biggest ever squat? He has a video of him squatting 1300 to good depth in training. I know it's not in a meet, but still, 1300 is pretty incredible! Has anyone ever done more?

ScottYard
08-22-2011, 03:24 PM

I agree. If its within the standards for that fed on that day in that meet then its good. It is hard to tell depth from the front so I don't even bother trying. Good for donnie.

Mark!
08-22-2011, 03:44 PM
I agree. If its within the standards for that fed on that day in that meet then its good. It is hard to tell depth from the front so I don't even bother trying. Good for donnie.

The SPF doesn't allow side videos right?

ScottYard
08-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Im not a member of the spf. I have no clue.

Mark!
08-22-2011, 04:53 PM
I just read the SPF doesn't allow side view cameras, spiffy. 2 whites 1 red.

Sensei
08-22-2011, 04:59 PM
I know this will make me sound like a douche, but I find it odd that a fed (any fed) would have a rule prohibiting cameras from ANY angle - front, side, behind, above, or below... JMO.

ThomasG
08-22-2011, 05:07 PM

Hmmm I wonder why :p

Mark!
08-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Hmmm I wonder why :p

I'm not in the SPF right now, everyone says their meets are hella fun, so maybe in the future, so my opinion is just that, but seems to me the reason for that would be to limit internet judges from saying one way or another, and actually having any base of fact regarding that statement. Like here, we clearly see the front view, looks close, but a side judge would be able to see the crease and be able to pinpoint white vs red. That way, it's that judges call, and only that judges call, there's no other real discussion because without any side judge video, with a squat thats close, there's no real argument, only opinion.

ThomasG
08-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Not close at all. Agree to disagree. It did look like a good spf squat though.

mastermonster
08-22-2011, 10:09 PM
I've worked 3 SPF meets this year either announcing or judging. I've not heard one announcement made that side videos were not allowed. That being said, I'd like to point out what causes the illusion of legal depth squats appearing high from the front with an even slightly high camera angle. Look at the floor and the legs of the monolift. We know they are flat, yet they appear to run up hill in the video...right? Why do you think the upper leg would be immune to this illusional effect? It's not. As already stated by others, I've seen squats that I judged from the side and I know were to depth or beyond appear high when I saw them posted later from the front on video. I really want to barf reading the crap on Donnie's squat over on PLWatch! It's really sickening! Congrats Donnie! That was an awesomely strong squat and congrats for reaching the 3000!

chris mason
08-22-2011, 10:48 PM
I was there, I saw the lifts. Interestingly, my training partner's opener at 900 lbs was called for depth and he was at, or below parallel. No judging is perfect, but most of the big lifts at the meet were legit in my opinion.

Donnie is an amazing athlete and I am glad he finally got his 3,000 lbs!

kingns
08-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Its insane how people can try to hate on his total or any of the lifts

NickAus
08-23-2011, 02:17 AM
Its insane how people can try to hate on his total or any of the lifts

Yep, fucking bunch of nancy boys!!

3000lb yeah baby HUGE!!

Dave Hoff is is a beast as are the others.

So cool to read about guys hitting new numbers.......I can really only guess how hard they work to get better year after year after year.

Congrats to all the lifters!!!!!

Mark!
08-23-2011, 02:57 AM
Yep, fucking bunch of nancy boys!!

3000lb yeah baby HUGE!!

Dave Hoff is is a beast as are the others.

So cool to read about guys hitting new numbers.......I can really only guess how hard they work to get better year after year after year.

Congrats to all the lifters!!!!!

Hell yeah dude, internet judges all over the place.

muscle_g
08-23-2011, 03:20 AM
Hell yeah dude, internet judges all over the place.

Especially on BB.com lol.

I am really glad Donnie hit the 3000lbs total before Andy Bolton did!

J_Byrd
08-23-2011, 09:39 AM
I did the SPF Nationals, and they did the video from the side on my squats. Was never told that we couldnt, and nobody asked us to stop.

Chicksanboy
08-23-2011, 12:12 PM
A big congrats to The King. His strength is just baffling to me. My maxes cant even compare to his freaking warm-ups....on any lift. In some of his interviews and video clips, he seems like a hell of a nice guy aswell. Im glad it was him that hit the total first. The best of luck loosing some of that weight big guy, walking around at 390lbs cant be all to comfy for ya.

joey54
08-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know if Donnie was/is a marine or a good Christian?

Just kidding. Amazing strength and really nothing else can be said.

ajweins
08-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Question for all the guys who think it is high: Have any of you ever been to an SPF meet and seen them in person?

I ask because I have honestly not ever been to one. I have lifted in the USAPL, and am now training with Shawn Frankl for multiply. He is making me hit the same depth I was going for with USAPL. So I guess I generally side with the idea that the front view and all the gear gives the illusion of high squats.

And I see very few people who are at the meets complaining of terrible judging.

kingns
08-23-2011, 08:13 PM
This thread isnt about SPF and squat depth. But Ive definitly seen people red lighted for depth on squats at SPF meets. I can guarantee no one trained for the pro am thinking "oh ill just train to squat 2 inches high, but itll get passed anyway". People train to just break parallel for the least amount possible.