PDA

View Full Version : cheat day

Silverback
05-25-2002, 01:58 AM
today is saturday and its supposed to be my cheat day, but to be honest i dont feel like cheating, is this okay or are cheat days important?

Sebi
05-25-2002, 02:02 AM
the cheat day is the day when you can eat whatever you want. if it's the same as usual, there is nothing wrong with it.

Bobarell
05-25-2002, 02:06 AM
I think it depends a lot on what diet you are on. If you are Keto'ing than a cheat day is really important.

Also, it shouldn't really be a cheat day anyway. It should be more of a refeed. You need to keep track of what you are eating no matter what day it is so you don't go overboard. I have seen some people going so crazy on their cheat day that it pretty much cancels out the whole week worth of dieting.

I am ketoing right now and I wasn't doing a refeed. I was doing maybe a couple of cheat meals a week and I saw my fat loss decrease greatly. I have done 2 refeeds and I want from a flat stall in my diet to seeing it start to fall off again after the 1st refeed.

Behemoth
05-25-2002, 09:35 AM
I don't have a set one, but I just make sure I don't do it more than once a week. Sometimes I feel like you too, sort of. I always wanna cheat but I've built enough will power just to overlook the food except when I'm with my friends and their chowing down. So basically if I'm due for a cheat day and not feeling like it, I don't cheat and I save it until next time theres something I really wanna eat then just turn that day into it.

Vido
05-25-2002, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't set an actual cheat day, ie. Saturday or whatever, because then you will just be thinking about that day all week. Cheat when you have to, but not too often. It's worse to have a mental battle thinking about if to cheat or not because then you start stressing out and cortisol is released. If you feel the need, do it guilt-free, and get on with your normal diet.

Mik
05-25-2002, 05:44 PM
Winners you're making me feel guilty! Today is my cheat day and I just ordered a pizza. Well, too late to cancel it now.

Silverback
05-25-2002, 05:57 PM
dont worry guys my mates persuaded me to go out and get leathered which i did, we then went to ali baba's and got a 12 inch pizza, dont worry i asked for some extra chicken on top to make sure i got tha protein lol...

WillyTheGreat
05-25-2002, 09:56 PM
Can I eat whatever I want on a cheat day?

Sebi
05-25-2002, 11:06 PM
as far as i know, yes.

i've never had a cheat day yet though. i always eat whatever i want.

mrunknown
05-26-2002, 03:33 PM
would it be ok if on my cheat day i had a snickers bar, some caramels, but on my cheat day i ate about 2500 calories is this okay guys and i had a lot of carbs like 160 grams

Behemoth
05-26-2002, 03:42 PM
I sure hope it's okay, you should see how crazy I go on em!

mrunknown
05-26-2002, 04:46 PM
i know i had like 4 bacardi silvers, a corona, babebur ribs, baked potatoes, roasted chicken, cereal, bread, soe cookies

boy was that good

Bam Bam
05-26-2002, 05:02 PM
my cheats are typically

golden corral buffet at lunch

pies cookies and ice cream for snacks

thena good all you can eat chinese for dinner

followed by cake and icecream

WillyTheGreat
05-26-2002, 05:33 PM
Is roasted chicken a cheat?

Behemoth
05-26-2002, 05:49 PM
When you eat the whole coop it is!

Tiare
05-26-2002, 06:00 PM
On my cheat days I usually go to DQ and get a blizard. mmmmm. That and I might eat fast food for one meal. Feels good to do now and again.

mrunknown
05-26-2002, 06:41 PM
but when i cheat i try to cheap my sugar intake low so i dont blow all my dieting i did in that week

Victor
05-26-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by WillyTheGreat
Is roasted chicken a cheat?

I don't really think so if you're just counting the chicken alone. I believe roasting is not that bad, even there are better options like steaming (yuck). But if I have to eat roast chicken on a normal day while cutting, most likely remove the skin and chuck down lots of water. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My Free Day is on Sat, which mostly I'll be hanging out with friends. However, my theory is that you are suppose to eat whatever you want simply to give yourself a good treat, NOT to force yourself to chuck in delicious food even if you don't feel like eating. So at times during my Free Day, I saw some instant noodles and cakes and thought to myself whether should I eat them even I'm not hungry. In the end I decided not to, get a protein shake and went on sleeping.

Typical Free Day I eat: Instant Pizza with extra cheese, instant noodles, Diaz icecream, and whatever food I like when dining out, 1 can of beer occassionally.

Clark
05-26-2002, 08:25 PM
don't you feel it would be more beneficial to have a cheat meal instead of cheat day?

Bobarell
05-26-2002, 09:21 PM
I have a refeed day and all I do is eat a box of cereal with a half gallon of skim milk and maybe one cheat meal and follow the rest of my regualr diet to get the rest of my cals.

I don't think it is beneficial at all to have a cheat day. Why bust your ass for 6 days to mess it up in 1. A big cheat day will eat up about 3-4 days of your diet, so you are only really dieting for 3 days a week if you look at it.

Lets say you are 180. You eat -500 maint cals for 6 days and +1500 maint cals for 1. Do the math.....-1 lb from dieting+1/2 from cheating

WillyTheGreat
05-26-2002, 09:30 PM
I usually remove the skin from chicken anyway.

I wasn't even aware of this cheat day or else I would've eaten whatever I wanted on Saturdays when my weekly strict diet foods have run out. Anyway...thumbs up to this discovery.

jcybex
05-28-2002, 07:17 AM
well, i just came back from a "cheat weekend", and gained 2 lbs.

that's what happens when you go up to a Bed and Breakfast and chow down on empty carbs, burgers, crossiants, lamb chops, etc. in some rural town....

Reinier
05-28-2002, 07:54 AM
I ever have cheat days that i plan. every once in a while ill be in a situation that i cant follow the diet and thats my cheat day

jcybex
05-28-2002, 08:45 AM
the cheat days are even worse when beer is involved.... ;)

Bobarell
05-28-2002, 11:31 AM
What do you gyus think about lowering cals the next day to help to compensate for the over eating the day before.

Say I eat a pizza buffet and I go WAAAY overboard. I end up going over my cals for the day by about 1000. If I am eating 1900 cals on a dieting day would going down to 1400 for one day hurt? Would it help to take away the guilt and bad affects of that cheat meal/day?

Behemoth
05-28-2002, 01:01 PM
You call an extra 1000 cals overboard? *wonders what he'd call my cheat days*

Par Deus
05-29-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Bobarell

I don't think it is beneficial at all to have a cheat day. Why bust your ass for 6 days to mess it up in 1. A big cheat day will eat up about 3-4 days of your diet, so you are only really dieting for 3 days a week if you look at it.

Lets say you are 180. You eat -500 maint cals for 6 days and +1500 maint cals for 1. Do the math.....-1 lb from dieting+1/2 from cheating

It is more complicated than that -- a large amount of the calories will be stored as glycogen or oxidized. The upregulation of leptin expression will also increase metabolism (via SNS and UCP activity). Even with MASSIVE short-term overfeeding, de novo lipogenesis is negligible.

Par Deus
05-29-2002, 11:01 AM
I should add that the above is assuming one is getting most of their calories from non-fructose carbohydrates.

Behemoth
05-29-2002, 03:14 PM
Par deus, that sounded interested, think ya could put it into dummie terms for me?

WillyTheGreat
05-29-2002, 03:24 PM
:nod: Seriously, lol. You wrote half your message in Latin.

Bobarell
05-29-2002, 03:59 PM
Yes Par Deus......If it is carbs than no problem, but if you look at what some of the cheat days look like.......there is a lot of fat in the cheat days.

I have read your articles on "refeeds" and I try my best to follow the intrsuctions set forth by you on these days. I eat about 1000 cals above my maintenance but with nothing but carbs providing my extra cals. Lower fat and protein, but very high carbs.

I used 1000 cals on a cheat day as an example. Many people eat well above this. If your extra cals are coming from carbs than fine, but they are not. They are coming maybe 50/50 from fat and carbs. A pizza is very high fat and very high carbs, but more cals coming from fat than anything else. Not to mention low protein content.

Behemoth
05-30-2002, 12:45 PM
I'm still dumb, can you explain why carbs are okay to have on cheat days but fats aren't?

WillyTheGreat
05-30-2002, 03:47 PM
^I'd have to say because the carbs would be the first to be burned off while the fat is automatically stored if there is an equal or greater amount of carbs coming in because the body would use the carbs as energy instead of the fat.

Can anyone verify what I just said? =)