PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions About Strength Programs

Pure Water
08-28-2011, 07:25 PM
I don't know what kind of program I should be doing!!!

- My main goal is to gain raw strength.
- My stats are:
- Body Weight: 193 lbs

- 1RM Squat: 245 lbs
- 1RM Bench Press: 175 lbs
- 1RM Deadlift: 315 lbs

Here's a few questions:

- What program should I do?
- Should I make my own program, according to my weak points?
- Do I need to worry about ME and DE days?

jtteg_x
08-28-2011, 08:30 PM
If your goal is to increase your squat, bench and deadlift numbers then I would suggest looking into a Westside Barbell template utilizing DE and ME days. No pun intended but at those numbers, I would just focus on getting stronger instead of targeting weak points.

Pure Water
08-28-2011, 09:14 PM
If your goal is to increase your squat, bench and deadlift numbers then I would suggest looking into a Westside Barbell template utilizing DE and ME days. No pun intended but at those numbers, I would just focus on getting stronger instead of targeting weak points.

Thanks very much for replying! I'll definately check out some Westside Barbell routines with DE and ME days.

EDIT:

Okay, so I was looking at some of the templates that I found around the internet and some things they were talking about were using bands, chains, and board presses. My gym doesn't have any of those things :( . Damn commercial gyms!

JRD
08-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Do Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 program and the boring but big assistance work. Do that for at least the next 2 years before u even think about trying a different program.

Mark!
08-28-2011, 11:51 PM
5/3/1 is a very solid program, and with the BBB (boring but big) accessory work, you get good volume training in as well. The main thing is going to be sticking to whatever program you choose. 5/3/1 may be a great program, but won't do you any good unless you stick to it religiously. No routine is going to net you the gains and results you're seeking unless you stick to it.

Pure Water
08-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'm doing 5/3/1 then! Now I just got to find the template somewhere.

BoAnderson71
08-29-2011, 01:30 AM
elitefts.com, buy the e-book.

Pure Water
08-29-2011, 08:14 AM
elitefts.com, buy the e-book.

I would definitely buy it only I don't buy anything online because I don't want all my money disappearing or to be owing a big amount for no reason :( .

SEOINAGE
08-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Honenstly I would stick with something simple like Starting Strength, for a while, or even Bill Starr's 5x5. At your level there is no need to over-complicate things. Really a full body routine incorporating deadlifts,squats, bench, rows, pull ups, and sohp is all you really need, not doing all every lifting session of course, but a combination of three lifts. Reps in the 5 rep range, except pull ups sohp and rows can be closer to 8 reps. Work you way up to doing 5 sets of each by starting at something like 3 sets. Then after you put a good chunk of weight on your lifts and progression doesn't come naturally from regularly working out, eating and sleeping, then you can do something more complicated. That's just my two cents.

MrBean
08-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Google Westside by Louis Simmons, Sheiko @ EliteFTS, Jim Wendlers 531, Block Periodization, then modify your program to suit your needs.

Tim K
08-29-2011, 11:16 AM
I would definitely buy it only I don't buy anything online because I don't want all my money disappearing or to be owing a big amount for no reason :( .

That excuse doesn't cut it.

Google Westside by Louis Simmons, Sheiko @ EliteFTS, Jim Wendlers 531, Block Periodization, then modify your program to suit your needs.

Newbies really don't need to be modifying programs as they lack the basic knowledge required to make intelligent choices. Pick one of the above and then follow it for a year or two.

Pure Water
08-29-2011, 11:41 AM
That excuse doesn't cut it.

Can I buy it at a store?

Tim K
08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Can I buy it at a store?

You can buy it at Elitefts.com. They have a secure server and if you use your credit card, you have built in protection from fraud. Or you can use Google and find a plethora of information about how the program works including a template for 5/3/1 Boring But Big.

Pure Water
08-29-2011, 12:58 PM
You can buy it at Elitefts.com. They have a secure server and if you use your credit card, you have built in protection from fraud. Or you can use Google and find a plethora of information about how the program works including a template for 5/3/1 Boring But Big.

Thank-you for replying.

I'll have to sign up for a credit card soon, but for now, I'll go get that information that you're talking about and start with that.

Thanks to everyone who replied here, I've chosen 5/3/1 since it seems to be the most popular and really good program.

jtteg_x
08-30-2011, 12:35 AM
good choice. make sure your nutrition and sleep are up to par as well

Pure Water
08-30-2011, 10:05 AM
good choice. make sure your nutrition and sleep are up to par as well

I'll try my best.