PDA

View Full Version : When can you call yourself a Powerlifter or a Strongman

Brian205
08-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Hi Guys,

When can you call yourself a Powerlifter or a Strongman ?

your opinions are appreciated :)

ScottYard
08-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Powerlifting and Strongman are sports. In order to be considered either or you have to compete. Thats my 2 cents. I may be harsher then others but thats how I feel. If you train hard and dont feel like competing Im not knocking anyone for that but call it what it is....."Working Out" I always get pissed at my inlaws when they asked me if I ecercised today. I always remind them that I dont exercise, I train LOL

Why not compete and see how you do?

theBarzeen
08-30-2011, 07:56 PM
When a person competes in the sport..... then he is part of that sport.

The stuff you do in private is just practice regardless of how awesome it is.

Me singing in the shower doesn't make me a singer. Only when you take your gift ( or lack thereof) in to public does it count....

to echo Scott, Why not just do a contest for fun?

jtteg_x
08-30-2011, 09:27 PM
this video taken from "Power Unlimited" may interest you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N4RKgsK1-0

krazylarry
08-30-2011, 10:14 PM
3rd for when you compete.

hulk242
08-31-2011, 06:37 AM
Yep, always said you have to lay it on the line in comp.

http://hulkhires.com

44pirate
08-31-2011, 06:43 AM
Powerlifting and Strongman are sports. In order to be considered either or you have to compete. Thats my 2 cents. I may be harsher then others but thats how I feel. If you train hard and dont feel like competing Im not knocking anyone for that but call it what it is....."Working Out" I always get pissed at my inlaws when they asked me if I ecercised today. I always remind them that I dont exercise, I train LOL

Why not compete and see how you do?

Absolutely.... I train for competitions.. I have to explain to my inlaws as well as other exercisers in the gym I train at.

Off Road
08-31-2011, 07:01 AM
I agree, it's when you actually compete.

SEOINAGE
08-31-2011, 07:24 AM
I always got annoyed when people would say to me, "oh your a bodybuilder" or the like, and of course I could just say no I haven't ever competed, or to correct them I couldn't say, no I am a powerlifter, cause I have never competed in that, so I say I train like a powerlifter? Really I need to start doing competitions! I am of a like mind like others, better start competing to be called a powerlifter. Cause really explaining to people I train for strength and well being is about all I can justly say.

BloodandThunder
08-31-2011, 08:19 AM
It's more than just competing IMO that makes you a powerlifter. Whether you bench the bar or WRs, by doing meets, you contribute to the sport through paying membership dues and giving the means to meet directors to hold meets. Without those two, you don't have legitimate sanctioned meets (sanctions are responsible for insurance and making sure qualified people run meets with standardized equipment). Without sanctions, you have no rules, no insurance, and equipment that is either not standardized or could even hurt lifters and spotters. Feel good about that new fresh WR? Well it just got beat by some small gym meet put on youtube, except the plates on reality may be 5-10 lbs less each. If meet directors aren't supported, they can't afford to pay for judge's hotels or food for spotters, loaders, and workers.

Even further, PLers are some of the most intra-contest friendly athletes in the world. I once lent a belt to a fellow competitor in my class whose belt buckle snapped during a lift. Older lifters give advice out and even mentor younger lifters, many of whom they might even compete against one day. You don't see this in many sports. PLers are also more likely to support PLing companies (often paying more money over similar products) than gymrats. Many PLers turn into coaches, judges, and meet volunteers even though they don't compete anymore. They are still PLers because they contribute to the sport.

So just because you do the big three does not make you a PLer, plain and simple. Even if you can bench 720 and pull 1020. I do hypertrophy work here and there, but I am sure as hell not a BBer. I can even eat grilled chicken and oats 7 times a day and cut to 5% and tan up and do a boatload of cardio and practice posing. Until I step foot on a stage, I'm not a BBer.

Ultimately like Scott said, this is a sport. We all strive for PRs, whether it's in the gym or on the platform, but PLing is all about competition. When there's no competition left, that's a problem.

Brian C
08-31-2011, 08:43 AM
It's more than just competing IMO that makes you a powerlifter. Whether you bench the bar or WRs, by doing meets, you contribute to the sport through paying membership dues and giving the means to meet directors to hold meets. Without those two, you don't have legitimate sanctioned meets (sanctions are responsible for insurance and making sure qualified people run meets with standardized equipment). Without sanctions, you have no rules, no insurance, and equipment that is either not standardized or could even hurt lifters and spotters. Feel good about that new fresh WR? Well it just got beat by some small gym meet put on youtube, except the plates on reality may be 5-10 lbs less each. If meet directors aren't supported, they can't afford to pay for judge's hotels or food for spotters, loaders, and workers.

Even further, PLers are some of the most intra-contest friendly athletes in the world. I once lent a belt to a fellow competitor in my class whose belt buckle snapped during a lift. Older lifters give advice out and even mentor younger lifters, many of whom they might even compete against one day. You don't see this in many sports. PLers are also more likely to support PLing companies (often paying more money over similar products) than gymrats. Many PLers turn into coaches, judges, and meet volunteers even though they don't compete anymore. They are still PLers because they contribute to the sport.

So just because you do the big three does not make you a PLer, plain and simple. Even if you can bench 720 and pull 1020. I do hypertrophy work here and there, but I am sure as hell not a BBer. I can even eat grilled chicken and oats 7 times a day and cut to 5% and tan up and do a boatload of cardio and practice posing. Until I step foot on a stage, I'm not a BBer.

Ultimately like Scott said, this is a sport. We all strive for PRs, whether it's in the gym or on the platform, but PLing is all about competition. When there's no competition left, that's a problem.

Nice

IronDiggy
08-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Nice

Agreed. Being a powerlifter is more than a title. It's a lifestyle.

Chances are, you're not a powerlifter until you quit caring about being able to call yourself one.

MrBean
08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
You might be a powerlifter if…
• The doctor tells you that you need more iron in your diet so you throw in an extra set of lock-outs!
• You think baby powder on your thighs and chalk on your hands looks cool.
• Whenever a non-PL friend of yours moves house, or needs to move heavy things around the place, you are the FIRST person they call for help!
• You psych up before lifting your laundry basket off the floor.
• Most people in the gym don’t like you.
• You dismount the toilet like doing box squats (to perfect that explosive power).
• You think torn track pants, an old, sweaty, filthy t-shirt advertising a garbage company, and SLIPPERS, are perfectly suitable gym attire.
• You can’t count above 5 but can multiply by 45 in your head.
• When you inhale ammonia instead of using it for cleaning.
• When the amount of weight you lift is more important than how cleanly shaven your legs are or how dark your tan is.
• You think a 16 oz. steak is a snack to have between meals.
• It takes 5 seconds for your spirit to re-enter your body after deadlifting.
• You think that creatine is a food group.
• You have baby powder in your gym bag.
• When asked for your ID you show your Federation Membership Card

Sensei
08-31-2011, 03:28 PM
When a person competes in the sport.....
This.

Mark!
08-31-2011, 03:54 PM
I guess I'm proud to call myself a powerlifter now that I got a meet under my belt, sweet.

greemah
08-31-2011, 05:19 PM
• It takes 5 seconds for your spirit to re-enter your body after deadlifting.

lol!

barryisawinnah
08-31-2011, 09:08 PM
I feel that I can call myself a strongman now that I have competed a few times, even though I have a ways to go to get to the upper echelon of the elite lightweight ams and the lightweight pros

Rugby Dad
09-01-2011, 09:06 AM
I've competed in both PL & Strongman, but haven't done a contest in either since 2008.
still training tho for the love of iron. So what does that make me? a washed up plifter? retired strongman?
I'm like Bill Kazmaier or Kirk K, anyone need an Emcee or color commentator for your contest, shoot me an email. I work for cheap LOL

barryisawinnah
09-01-2011, 01:57 PM
I've competed in both PL & Strongman, but haven't done a contest in either since 2008.
still training tho for the love of iron. So what does that make me? a washed up plifter? retired strongman?
I'm like Bill Kazmaier or Kirk K, anyone need an Emcee or color commentator for your contest, shoot me an email. I work for cheap LOL

is it like the Marine Corps, where it is once a strength athlete, always a strength athlete?