PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting for girls

joelhall
08-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Ok I've bee away for a while, family issues (i.e. having another baby), moving house, work, and being assaulted (put my shoulder out of action for a bit). Anyway long story short, the mrs is interested in lifting. Only thing is, despite my Google searching I can't quite get specifics on training for girls.

So would she want to begin with a basic program? Or are there changes that need to be made for females? More GPP, less volume/intensity, etc? Up until now, all she's done is B/W exercises, aerobic work, so I'd say her GPP is about average maybe slightly better for a young lady (mid-20s). Only time I've trained with women has been when I was doing OL years ago, so I'm out of my depth here.

So are there any special considerations I should bear in mind, any no-nos, or anything specific I should add in to make up for different weaknesses?

Cheers guys.

thecityalive
08-31-2011, 06:46 PM
SQUAT!

JacobH
08-31-2011, 08:25 PM
I think she should do exactly what you would do if you had the same goals as her. What I'm saying is building lean mass, dieting off fat, or in the case of powerlifting-trying to be as strong as possible, with any human body is going to be very similar.

JK1
08-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Ok I've bee away for a while, family issues (i.e. having another baby), moving house, work, and being assaulted (put my shoulder out of action for a bit). Anyway long story short, the mrs is interested in lifting. Only thing is, despite my Google searching I can't quite get specifics on training for girls.

So would she want to begin with a basic program? Or are there changes that need to be made for females? More GPP, less volume/intensity, etc? Up until now, all she's done is B/W exercises, aerobic work, so I'd say her GPP is about average maybe slightly better for a young lady (mid-20s). Only time I've trained with women has been when I was doing OL years ago, so I'm out of my depth here.

So are there any special considerations I should bear in mind, any no-nos, or anything specific I should add in to make up for different weaknesses?

Cheers guys.

Why would the training have to be different for a woman?

Seriously.. think about what you wrote above. Think really hard about it. You have your own answer already.

Mark!
09-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Same things we do. Start her out slow, progress easily in to things and go from there.

joelhall
09-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Just figured with lower testosterone/reovery, different biomechanics etc, might be some different considerations. Cheers for the replies guys ;)

theBarzeen
09-01-2011, 03:02 PM
My wife trains and eats exactly like I do ( she competes as well) just with smaller numbers ( calories and weight on the bar)

same sets, reps, lifts.....

dammstrate
09-01-2011, 04:45 PM
My wife has lifted on and off for 25+ years, competing for the last 7 or so.
She has 17 or so (hard to keep up) American and World records in WABDL,
AAPF, and APF.

No difference in how she trains vs. a guy. Less weights, but she kicks my
ass on coefficient....
:omg:

JK1
09-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Just figured with lower testosterone/reovery, different biomechanics etc, might be some different considerations. Cheers for the replies guys ;)

No, thats why you didn't find anything when you looked.

Mark!
09-02-2011, 01:05 AM
My wife trains and eats exactly like I do ( she competes as well) just with smaller numbers ( calories and weight on the bar)

I'm trying to get my wife switched over to this. She eats the same things I do, just fewer calories, and expresses interest in lifting, just doesn't do it much, haha. Just being patient for her to come around, it'll be awesome if she ever does.

Brian C
09-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Im also in the "trying to get my wife to switch over" column. Save some money on different gym fees too. Nothing is different as everyone said, and there are plenty of programs that will fit her fine. Id suggest to sit down with her and review the actual programs and see what would work for her. 531, 351, starting strength...etc.

theBarzeen
09-04-2011, 10:09 PM
on a side note.... or, since the conversation has turned this way.... for the guys wanting to bring wives/girlfriends to the gym....

DO IT

It's the best training decision I ever made. It has been good for my relationship with my wife, but on a more selfish level it's amazing. I'm not getting yelled at for spending so much time at the gym, or so much money on equipment. Gym time is also quality time with the wife. She understands how important it is to have good gear that fits well and good supplements to recover with. I don't feel bad about half day workouts and buffet pillaging because my wife is right there with me. so I can train as hard as I want to and never fel conflicted between my sport and my family. Get your wife to the gym.

Rob Luyando
09-05-2011, 12:49 PM

You forgot better form and better looks. She definately has an edge on you Barzeen.

I totally agree over the years I have trained with a few females in the gym. They can handle the same training style and work load as the guys and probably whined less then the guys I have trained with. Start her out slow and slowly introduce her to equipment. I would recomend getting her a solid core built with basic movements before getting her into equipment. Once you both feel she is ready for equipment I would start her out in Single Ply equipment.

joelhall
09-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Great replies, cheers fellas ;)