PDA

View Full Version : Tired of being skinny....Help!!

Foley
09-01-2011, 08:57 AM
I have been a small guy most of my life. I am 33 now and I feel I have to change this. I was told I need to take in more calories. I was told to multiply my weight times 20 and that's the amount of calories I need to take in everyday. That makes 2800 calories a day I need to consume.
Do any of you have a diet plan that would consist of such numbers? I also was in GNC and was shown a "Mass gainer" product that said it would be 990 calories. I plan to buy this, so that means I need about 1800 calories of food I need to take on everyday in addition to the drink.

Any help, suggestions or ideas you can come up with to help me would be greatly appreciated. I need at least 30 pounds added. I have dedicated this winter to "fattening" up...regardless the cost!!

StLRPh
09-01-2011, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't worry about supplements, just get as much good food in you need and train hard.

The best way to determine how many calories you need is to find out how many you are eating now and then add 500 cal to that number.

Good luck

Foley
09-01-2011, 09:16 AM
I figured a supplement would be a easy way to up the calorie amount without consuming as much food. Like one of these.

http://www.bulknutrition.com/p7193-iso-mass-xtreme-gainer-ultimate-nutrition.html
OR
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4021755

StLRPh
09-01-2011, 09:48 AM
why don't you want to eat food?

JacobH
09-01-2011, 10:32 AM
I figured a supplement would be a easy way to up the calorie amount without consuming as much food. Like one of these.

http://www.bulknutrition.com/p7193-iso-mass-xtreme-gainer-ultimate-nutrition.html
OR
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4021755

Food is always better than supplements. And it's tasty. Start eating Tuna and grilled chicken in addition to what you eat now. 2800 calories is really not that much food.

Foley
09-01-2011, 11:16 AM
why don't you want to eat food?

It's not that I don't want to eat food. It involves me to do more cooking and things related when I really don't have the time in the AM to do such.

Food is always better than supplements. And it's tasty. Start eating Tuna and grilled chicken in addition to what you eat now. 2800 calories is really not that much food.

Yeah...taste is big with me. I have been reading reviews on one of the supplements I posted and everyone says how gross it is.

Cards
09-01-2011, 11:44 AM
It's not that I don't want to eat food. It involves me to do more cooking and things related when I really don't have the time in the AM to do such.

None of us have time, but we certainly make it. I use to work 11-8, go to the gym until 10. Get home by 10:30pm and the last thing I wanted to do was to cook a full meal, but I did.

It's all part of the game. On a side note, as long as you get your total calories by the end of the day, you're good to go. It doesn't really matter when, just as long as you get them.

StLRPh
09-01-2011, 11:57 AM

Whenever I cook I make sure that I make enough for at least 2+ extra meals beyond the one I'm eating. And as Cards say none of us have a lot of time planning ahead is very important also prioritizing your time is big as well.

brian12
09-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Hey man,

I managed to get my weight up from a skinny 125 lbs @ 6ft to 204lbs (and currently 198lbs @13%BF).

This is how I did it: I added in 5 meal replacement shakes per day. One with each meal and one inbetween meals. That's 2000 calories right there. Along with creatine that was my only supplement. I certainly didn't count calories. I then forced myself to eat a huge bowl of oats in the morning with 4 whole eggs. And ate as much as possible during the rest of the day..

So, if you dont like cooking, get a massgainer/meal replacement and try adding it to your current diet 5 times a day. Logic should tell you that you should get bigger.

When you reach the point that you think you need to control your BF% more wisely, then you can cut back on the weightgainers and start counting calories again etc.

Anyway, this might night work for you, but it worked wonders for me.

geordie1986
09-04-2011, 10:33 AM
taking a mass gainer 5 times a day is going to be an expensive diet to maintain. Real food is the answer.

BallsWideDeep
09-04-2011, 12:45 PM
taking a mass gainer 5 times a day is going to be an expensive diet to maintain. Real food is the answer.

Though my preference is for real food, anytime other than PWO, protein powder is cheaper than almost any other source. Whey can be had for $3-4 a pound, and maltodextrin comes in 50lb sacks for less than $2 a pound.

Some people will steer you away from mass gainers, but if you are truly frail, then you obviously have trouble eating enough. The shakes are a good convenience in your diet. Just don't make them a crutch. Eat big. If you manage 2500 calories from food, and a 1000 from good shakes, that wouldn't be so bad.

I would be prepared to go much go much higher than 20 calories per pound. I am at 22 per pound, and would not consider myself a "hardgainer". I would start at 25 calories per pound if you are desperate, and then remove calories from there. The first two months of lifting are freaky if done correctly. Make eating a skill like weightlifting.

method115
09-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Though my preference is for real food, anytime other than PWO, protein powder is cheaper than almost any other source. Whey can be had for $3-4 a pound, and maltodextrin comes in 50lb sacks for less than $2 a pound.

Some people will steer you away from mass gainers, but if you are truly frail, then you obviously have trouble eating enough. The shakes are a good convenience in your diet. Just don't make them a crutch. Eat big. If you manage 2500 calories from food, and a 1000 from good shakes, that wouldn't be so bad.

I would be prepared to go much go much higher than 20 calories per pound. I am at 22 per pound, and would not consider myself a "hardgainer". I would start at 25 calories per pound if you are desperate, and then remove calories from there. The first two months of lifting are freaky if done correctly. Make eating a skill like weightlifting.

Where are you getting whey protein for $3-4 a pound?

BallsWideDeep
09-05-2011, 09:05 PM
internet deal aggregators

pamph
09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Where would be the best place to buy protein powder online (http://www.enutriments.com/protein/shakes)? I basically just want good deals!

Off Road
09-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Where would be the best place to buy protein powder online (http://www.enutriments.com/protein/shakes)? I basically just want good deals!AtLargeNutrition.com

Dgro
09-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Seconding AtLargenutrition.com

It's cheap, they run great sales all the time, and their products work better than basically everything else out there.

pamph
09-15-2011, 02:24 PM
sweet, thanks a lot guys just placed an order :)

alexspt
09-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I agree that nutrition is #1 for gaining weight. Now the calories in would depend on your height and goals but 2800 isn't even that much for a "bulking diet" and I have seen much higher (like 4,000 cals a day). All depends on level of training, height, and goals.

Foley
09-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Happy to report I am up about 10 pounds. I added a calorie app to my phone and hit the grocery store. The app told me the calorie intake I would need to consume to get to my goal weight. I began scanning things I would eat. I managed to pack in about 2800 calories a day since I created this thread. I have also been hitting the gym everyday lifting. Last week I bought a 10lb bottle of Mass gainer. It says one serving is 940 calories. One serving is 3 scoops. I take one scoop three times a day with whole milk, add peanut butter and chocolate syrup. Sometimes only two a day cause I just cant bring myself to force it down.
I started this at 132. I am 143 as of today. My goal is about 165.

method115
09-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Happy to report I am up about 10 pounds. I added a calorie app to my phone and hit the grocery store. The app told me the calorie intake I would need to consume to get to my goal weight. I began scanning things I would eat. I managed to pack in about 2800 calories a day since I created this thread. I have also been hitting the gym everyday lifting. Last week I bought a 10lb bottle of Mass gainer. It says one serving is 940 calories. One serving is 3 scoops. I take one scoop three times a day with whole milk, add peanut butter and chocolate syrup. Sometimes only two a day cause I just cant bring myself to force it down.

Great job. I also have an app like you describe myfitnesspal. It's the best I can use my PC when I'm at work and it syncs with my phone for when I go home and eat. Jetfit is also great for you workout routine might want to check that one out. Even has a coutndown timer for you rest intervals.

Behemoth
09-29-2011, 04:08 PM

It's always great to hear these accounts. Keep it going going dude. Keep that consistency up and keep setting goals and bust your ass to hit them.

Foley
09-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Great job. I also have an app like you describe myfitnesspal.

Thanks and that's the app I am using! Great app!

It's always great to hear these accounts. Keep it going going dude. Keep that consistency up and keep setting goals and bust your ass to hit them.

Thanks!! I can already tell a difference in my definition when looking in the mirror. I can see my end result coming. I'm determined to have a totally different look next summer.!!

Behemoth
09-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks and that's the app I am using! Great app!

Thanks!! I can already tell a difference in my definition when looking in the mirror. I can see my end result coming. I'm determined to have a totally different look next summer.!!

Start a journal here brother. I'd love to follow along as you keep progressing

mchicia1
09-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Don't waste your money on a mass gainer.

For a cheap mass gainer, do this:

2 cups raw quaker oats
Grind them into powder in a blender
add 3 scoops whey protein
add 3 cups of whole milk
Add splenda if your protein powder is plain

Using my costco cytosport whey protein, I come up with:

Cals:

Prot:

Carbs:

Fat:

Drink that as your breakfast every day. That is almost half the calories you need to gain weight right there.

thecityalive
09-30-2011, 02:32 PM
SQUAT!

Behemoth
09-30-2011, 06:03 PM
SQUAT!

I really wish this cliche answer would go away.

JSully
09-30-2011, 06:09 PM
I really wish this cliche answer would go away.

I personally like the cliche answer "DEADLIFT!" better, but that's just me.

just eat more and train for hypertrophy is really the better answer, in a very abbreviated form at least.

Behemoth
09-30-2011, 06:16 PM
I personally like the cliche answer "DEADLIFT!" better, but that's just me.

just eat more and train for hypertrophy is really the better answer, in a very abbreviated form at least.

I'm fine with encouraging someone to do compounds. But it's just not the reason whether or not one gains weight, period.

mchicia1
09-30-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm fine with encouraging someone to do compounds. But it's just not the reason whether or not one gains weight, period.

Amen to that!

Off Road
09-30-2011, 08:55 PM
But it does have an effect on where the weight is partitioned.

Behemoth
10-01-2011, 10:15 AM
But it does have an effect on where the weight is partitioned.

Agreed. But it's still not the answer for how to gain weight.

carlz
10-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Hi.
i am carlz from USA.well seeing your body state your body depand extra calories and high carb food rich in protein.you should consume about 700 to 800 calories to get big and exercise daily and properly to get max resutls.
regards.

Off Road
10-04-2011, 06:37 AM
you should consume about 700 to 800 calories to get big.
That much? I don't want to get fat!!! :)

LilHillbilly
10-04-2011, 08:36 AM
I don't think I could handle eating 800 calories a day.

Behemoth
10-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi.
i am carlz from USA.well seeing your body state your body depand extra calories and high carb food rich in protein.you should consume about 700 to 800 calories to get big and exercise daily and properly to get max resutls.
regards.

That much? I don't want to get fat!!! :)

Forum handle verbatim in sig = soon to be changed to a spam link. Do I have any takers? I'll wager a jug of nitrean on it.

thecityalive
10-04-2011, 02:30 PM
I vote troll.

Off Road
10-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Forum handle verbatim in sig = soon to be changed to a spam link. Do I have any takers? I'll wager a jug of nitrean on it.No takers? I keep checking back on it to see when it happens too.

Behemoth
11-03-2011, 10:06 PM
I vote troll.

No takers? I keep checking back on it to see when it happens too.

I win. I'll PM you both my address for where to send my nitrean :)

Foley
11-08-2011, 09:03 AM
I would like you guys to know I weighed in today at my Dr appt at 152.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K Y L E
11-11-2011, 01:22 PM
mass gainers are over priced. get protein powder. its cheap and easily digested. mix 2 scoops in with whole milk and thats an easy 550 calories. also drinking straight milk is an easy way to add calories. try and focus as much as you can on solid foods though. if you're not on a tight budget, go to walgreens and buy their knockoff ensure product in the diet aid section. 350 calories, 6 bottles = 6 bucks for 2000 calories.