PDA

View Full Version : Teeroy's Crossfit Journal

teeroy
09-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm back after a bit of a hiatus this summer. Did about 6 weeks of nearly nonstop travelling between personal travel and work travel. When I got back I struggled a bit to get back into it.

Anyways, after doing some reflection I've decided to switch things up for a while and do crossfit with a focus on losing weight and getting fit. That has ultimately been my goal since I started almost 3 years ago and while I've gotten marginally stronger and much better on my form on the main lifts I haven't gotten much fitter.

I'll be tracking two or three days behind the WOD's posted on the crossfit.com site so that I don't have to wait in the morning for them to post the WOD and also so I can research a particular exercise to either look for an alternative if I don't have the equipment or to practice it a bit before doing it with weight on the bar.

On most of the WOD's I'm sure I'll be starting out with lower weight especially on the movements that I haven't done in a while. I'd rather start out a little lighter and focus on correct form than heavy and using incorrect form.

For some of the common movements like chin ups and sit ups I'm thinking of greasing the groove a little to get ramped up on those.

From a weight loss standpoint I am going to set a realistic goal at a pound a week. Hopefully in the beginning I'll drop it a little faster, but I don't want to set a goal that I will struggle to achieve because I know how my brain works and how I can lose motivation if I don't see improvement so I'd rather see a little improvement and stay motivated than set high goals that I don't meet and lose motivation.

9/3/2011

Band assisted chin up 5,4,3,3,2

Weight 253.6

teeroy
09-05-2011, 03:32 PM
9/5/2011

Presribed WOD:

135lb Power Cleans
Bar facing burpees

I did:

95lb Power Cleans
Standard Burpees

Time: 27:14.2

Notes:

Yeah, you read that right. 27 minutes and 14 seconds. LAME!!! I think that just solidifies the fact that I need to get fit. I had to take breaks not only in between sets but sometimes in between exercises because I felt like I was hyperventilating I was breathing so hard. I forced myself to finish and my time will get better.

I was actually pretty happy with the form on my power cleans as I haven't done those in quite some time. The weight felt fine and I was racking the bar well which used to be a struggle for me. I do think I need to focus on getting under the bar a little more, but all-in-all I think the form was good. However, I'm going to stick with 95lb until I can complete the entire workout without a rest. I just don't see any reason to progress the weight until then.

I don't have room for bar facing burpees so I just did standard burpees. I was happy I was able to complete all the push ups with good form. A year ago I don't think I would have been able to do that.

teeroy
09-17-2011, 10:45 AM
I've got a few WOD's in. I had to travel for a week and then got sick, but have done a few since then.

Prescribed:

Front squat 3,3,3,3,3,3,3

I did:

Back squat (misread that it was suppose to be front squats)
225x3x7

Prescribed:

20 Muscle-ups
25 Lowers from an inverted hang on the rings, slowly, with straight body and arms
30 Ring handstand push-ups
35 Ring rows
40 Ring push-ups

I did:

20 band assisted chin ups
25 hanging leg raises
30 OHP 85lb
35 bent over rows 85lb
40 push ups

I think my time was around 35 minutes.

Prescribed:

Thruster 3,3,3,3,3,3,3

I did:

Thruster 3x7 95lb

First time I've done these. I started to get the hang of it the last few sets and can increase the weight next time.

teeroy
09-17-2011, 11:57 AM
9/17/2011

Prescribed:

25 Walking lunge steps
20 Pull-ups
50 Box jumps, 20 inch box
20 Double-unders
25 Ring dips
20 Knees to elbows
30 Kettlebell swings, 2 pood
30 Sit-ups
20 Hang squat cleans, 35 pound dumbbells
25 Back extensions
30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
3 Rope climb ascents

I did:

25 walking lunges
20 band assisted chin ups
50 Jump touch 9'4" mark
20 double unders
25 bench dips
20 leg raises
30 35lb dumbbell swings
30 sit ups
20 hang clean 25lb dumbbells
30 thrusters with 35lb plate

I don't have a box so did the jump to 9'4" marks. I don't have rings or dip bars so did bench dips. Probably couldn't do regular dips anyways. Did the 25 straight through so was happy with that. Don't have a ball for wall balls so did a 35lb plate. Don't have a rope to climb so skipped that. Time: 43 minutes

Killer workout. I'm still shaking and my body feels like rubber.

teeroy
09-18-2011, 12:06 PM
9/18/2011

Prescribed WOD

Deadlift 60s rest between sets

I did:

Deadlift 60s rest between sets
315x2x10

Notes:

Last two sets were definitely a struggle. My grip almost gave out on the last set and I probably didn't completely lock out the last rep, but it was close enough to count.

teeroy
09-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Last couple of WOD's:

Prescribed:

Squat Tabata starting from bottom
Run a mile

I did:

Squat Tabata starting from bottom
Run a mile

Prescribed:

4 rounds of
Run 400M
15 Thrusters 95lb
15 pull ups

I did:

3 rounds of
Run 400M
15 Thrusters 65lb
15 Band Assisted Chin Ups

Notes:

Amazing how easy the tabata + mile run looks on paper but is so difficult to implement.

Did 3 rounds of the other because I ran out of time on my lunch hour. The three rounds kicked my butt plenty, though.

SCmmaFAN
09-22-2011, 06:03 PM
No wonder I haven't seen your journal in ages....you went all crossfit on me. What's up with that? That's a rhetorical question since you already explained yourself.

To be honest with you, I should've dieted and used Crossfit or P90x instead of fighting major compound lifting and losing serious weight at the same time. I mean I'm pulling it off to a degree but I've had to make compromises on simultaneously aiming to keep my strength gains and weight loss. There are times where I'm spinning my wheels.