PDA

View Full Version : Why did I miss this pull?

barryisawinnah
09-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Is it form thing or am I just not strong enough at lockout? Probably shouldn't of even attempted a PR today but I did, lol. If it is a strength issue, what kind of assistance work do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Bryan

jPklTqSKZs4

chris mason
09-06-2011, 03:57 PM
That's a strength thing. I think your back and glutes specifically are not strong enough.

MarcusWild
09-06-2011, 03:59 PM
My guess is hamstrings because your hip extension couldn't keep up with your knee extension. It could be lower back too. It's hard to tell from the front. I'd recommend romanians while keeping your lower back arched and wide stance GMs.

gmen5681
09-06-2011, 04:05 PM
looks like a strength issue. i would hit the "core" hard. lots of ab work and low back. that is a pretty common sticking point with the dead lift. i would start to incorporate some speed work. it comes off the floor good but then you just die right there at the knee. speed work with bands or chains will do wonders for you. do about 40-50% of 1rm and add a pair of light bands.

some other accessory movements:
suspended chain goodmornings (with SSB if you have one) set the bar right at height that you would start your pull at or as low as you can and do 3-5X8-10. this has helped my pull tremendously.

block/pin pulls - i prefer block pulls because the bar feels more natural. set the height right below your knee (your sticking point) and work up to a 1-3RM. can also add chains or bands to get more lockout work.

some great lockout work are
glute ham bridges
45 bench with weight (high reps 20+)
dimmel deadlifts (20 reps)
step ups (go to something that puts you at least at a sub 90 degree angle at the torso to leg angle)
pull throughs
reverse hyper if you have one (go very light and hold every rep at the top for a moment, dont swing the weight but come to a dead step every rep)

some other explosive movements
plyos
speed pulls with bands or chains
prowler pushes
sprint with sled (dont go heavy)

im sure a ton of other guys will chime in on this as well.
hope this helps.

barryisawinnah
09-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks a bunch guys.

I have just started incorporating dimel deads as of like 3 weeks ago or so. The strongman season is over for me, so I will only be doing event work once every 2-3 weeks and will really be focusing on bringing my deadlift up (overhead too).

I think it is a back/abs/core thing too, because on squats where i fail or hit a sticking point is because the weight basically pushes me over. Unfortunately my gym doesn't have reverse hyper, ghr, or ssb but I will definitely add in some of the suggestions that you guys are giving me.

Thanks

ScottYard
09-06-2011, 05:47 PM
My guess is hamstrings because your hip extension couldn't keep up with your knee extension. It could be lower back too. It's hard to tell from the front. I'd recommend romanians while keeping your lower back arched and wide stance GMs.

This is my guess as well.

But in reality just train everything like its a weakness and the weights will move. You will always miss weights though. Its part of the game. Dont over analyze it, just continue to work hard.

barryisawinnah
09-06-2011, 07:26 PM
This is my guess as well.

But in reality just train everything like its a weakness and the weights will move. You will always miss weights though. Its part of the game. Dont over analyze it, just continue to work hard.

Yup, I was just making sure and hoping it wasn't a form thing. Have really only been deadlifting for like 5 months now, so I knew I would get to a point where I wasn't progressing super fast anymore, lol

thecityalive
09-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Have someone sit on your legs as you suspend over a bench for hypers? seems crude, but gets the job done.

and +1 on the glute bridges.

Can I also say that I appreciate you putting up a miss. Usually people just put up PRs and other feats. Seldom do I ever see a video deliberately for critique such as this. Bravo. :clap:

theBarzeen
09-06-2011, 08:32 PM
good work either way.... it's a lot of weight

to me it looks like your back collapsed and you couldn't finish the pull..... the floor drive was strong though.

I'm going weakness in the back and ham/glute

I'd start with rack lockouts from low pins and from above the knee ( or at the knee), high pulls, rows, and kettlebell or dumbbell cleans..... if you have any bands I'd work the poo out of those.

Most importantly, once you are clear of your knees just drive your head back... like a horse, your body will follow your head.
past the knees if you slow down get the head back and look up....

good luck next time

barryisawinnah
09-06-2011, 08:41 PM
good work either way.... it's a lot of weight

to me it looks like your back collapsed and you couldn't finish the pull..... the floor drive was strong though.

I'm going weakness in the back and ham/glute

I'd start with rack lockouts from low pins and from above the knee ( or at the knee), high pulls, rows, and kettlebell or dumbbell cleans..... if you have any bands I'd work the poo out of those.

Most importantly, once you are clear of your knees just drive your head back... like a horse, your body will follow your head.
past the knees if you slow down get the head back and look up....

good luck next time

Thanks, I do have bands, I have a pairs of short bands in monster minis, lights and averages.

Thanks for the advice, I have never heard of it worded like that, that makes a lot of sense, I just practiced in the living room and the girlfriend and dog looked at me weird, lol.

barryisawinnah
09-06-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm on 5/3/1 right now, would you guys recommend that I switch my deadlifts to band deadlifts for my main lift on my deadlift day? Or just incorporate them as assistance on deadlift day or squat day?

kingns
09-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Dont worry about band deadlifts on 531.

NickAus
09-07-2011, 02:34 AM
To me personally it looks like mid/upper back and abs.

Strong start!!

barryisawinnah
09-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Dont worry about band deadlifts on 531.

yeah, if anything I would throw them in as assistance work after squatting or something, not as a main movement

Pure Water
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks, I do have bands, I have a pairs of short bands in monster minis, lights and averages.

Thanks for the advice, I have never heard of it worded like that, that makes a lot of sense, I just practiced in the living room and the girlfriend and dog looked at me weird, lol.

LMAO!!! Ahahaha! And yay for you doing 5/3/1. I just started doing it myself and can't wait to start pulling all those plates like you :) . Good luck with your training.

DetKimble
09-07-2011, 01:32 PM
banded deadlifts(reverse or regular), rack pulls, good mornings should all help.

barryisawinnah
09-07-2011, 02:53 PM
LMAO!!! Ahahaha! And yay for you doing 5/3/1. I just started doing it myself and can't wait to start pulling all those plates like you :) . Good luck with your training.

5/3/1 has been great for my pulls and overhead (well jerks for me). I think part of that might be because I never really trained those movements until I started strongman in April, but they have really jumped up. Squat has also been steadily progressing, bench has somewhat stalled but I think part of that is due to lack of focus on my part. I just don't get really fired up/focused to train bench anymore, lol. Probably doing my 1st powerlifting meet in December though, so that might help with focus and motivation for bench.

barryisawinnah
09-07-2011, 02:54 PM
banded deadlifts(reverse or regular), rack pulls, good mornings should all help.

thanks, im just working on how I am going to program everything now. Finishing this 5/3/1 week and then will setup a new plan of attack for next cycles assistance work.

joey54
09-07-2011, 03:31 PM
As Scott Y stated don't overanalyze. Bring your stance and your grip in, arch harder throughout the whole movement, and you pull that weight.

Invain
09-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Hips, glutes, and hams like others have said. I used to stick at the exact same spot with a conventional stance.

Also try stretching your hams and glutes. I neglected my hams for a long time and over the past few months I've finally realized they've been the cause of my pulling and squatting problems.

barryisawinnah
09-09-2011, 06:50 PM
thanks everybody. Did some RDLs and some banded 45 degree hypers after squats and front squats today. Forgot how much RDLs sucked, which means I need to be doing them, lol.