PDA

View Full Version : Diet please critique

Ferdo
05-25-2002, 12:00 PM
Hi ok, i have to fiannly start planning out my meals cause it is really making my gains suffer. If you could please critique this and see if it will help me reach my goal of 170 pounds. I currently weigh 155 at 5'8. At the gym some weeks 4 days usually 5. I do every body part seperate except legs i do with calves and biceps with triceps. Otherwise they have their own days. Have put on some size in my upper body, but because of diet have not gone where i want to be. Im ready to change.

so im thinking.

Meal 1

Protein shake 1 scoop with 1 cup soy milk
3 eggs 3 egg whites
1 slice whole wheat toast

Meal 2

protein shake 1 scooop with soy milk
half bagel sandwhich
1 fruit

Meal 3
8 oz chicken breast
Potatoe
protein shake with soy milk

Meal 4
Peanut butter on 2 slices whole wheat
1 fruit

Meal 5
8 oz chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
slice of ww toast

Meal 6
Protein shake 2 scoops with 2 cups soy milk

Ok thats it, thanks if you could approximate how many cals you think that is and how much protein. that would help as well.

WannaBeStrong
05-25-2002, 12:54 PM
You're a bit too reliant on protein shakes. Especially if those are all whey.
155 * 18 ~ 2800 kcals which should be plenty to grow. I would eat more chicken, tuna, turkey, and other lean meats. Add 1 TBSP of flax seed oil a day, change peanut butter to ALL NATURAL peanut butter, or almond butter, remove the "potatoe" and replace it with something that isn't pure starch, like brown rice, and above all READ THE LABELS. How do we know how much protein is in one scoop of your protein? Or what your "whole wheat" toast contains? All the info is available to you....have at it.

www.calorieking.com will give you some typical food values. It's worth doing the work yourself.

Blood&Iron
05-25-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Ferdo

Meal 1

Protein shake 1 scoop with 1 cup soy milk
3 eggs 3 egg whites
1 slice whole wheat toast

Fat: 19g fat
Protein: 59g protein
Carbs: 40g carbs

Meal 2

protein shake 1 scooop with soy milk
half bagel sandwhich
1 fruit

Bagel sandwich? Not sure what this is. Assuming a bagel with a couple of ounces of cream cheese for below:

Fat: 10g
Protein: 35g
Carbs: 50g

Meal 3
8 oz chicken breast
Potatoe
protein shake with soy milk

Fat: 13g fat
Protein: 105g
Carbs: 60g

Meal 4
Peanut butter on 2 slices whole wheat
1 fruit

Fat: 18g
Protein: 20g
Carbs: 80g

Meal 5
8 oz chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
slice of ww toast

Fat: 13g fat
Protein: 78g
Carbs: 60g

Meal 6
Protein shake 2 scoops with 2 cups soy milk

Fat: 7g fat
Protein: 60g
Carbs: 30g

Totals:
Calories: 3428kcal
Fat: 80g
Protein: 357g
Carbs: 320g

Obviously, as the above is missing a lot in the way of specifics, and my calculations were done mostly from my head, there is a fair bit in the way of slop in the figures I've provided. But it gives you a rough idea. Just from taking a look over things, I'd say you don't need nearly this much protein. 200g a day should be more than enough. Also, given your weight of 155, this may be too many calories unless you have a reasonably fast metabolism. Using the figure of 20 x bodyweight, which seems to work pretty well in most cases, you would get 3100kcal which is a bit less. Depending on how much you're currently eating, I'd gradually ramp up by 500kcal a week and make sure you're not gaining more than 2lbs or so a week, as otherwise you're going to be gaining quite a bit of fat. I'd increase both the amount of calories from carbs, and the amount of fat. So, I'd suggest something closer to:
Fat: 90g
Protein: 200g
Carbs: 400g

As to your food choices, while I'm not in the 'soy is evil' camp, I'd say your intake seems a bit excessive. Why not normal milk? Are you lactose intolerant? Get lactose-free milk, then. Also, it'd be nice to see some more vegetables and fruit in your diet.

Diet, however, is a very individual thing, so you've got to determine what works for you. Don't get me wrong, though, the above looks pretty decent, but I think the above changes I've suggeseted would help.

Ferdo
05-25-2002, 01:05 PM
Thanks, I am very lactose intolerant and soy milk is the only thing close to milk i have tried that has not made me get the symptomns. I have tried lacteese and all the rest. I wish i could drink milk, soy milk tastes like liquid paper. Anyways, ya i have a pretty fast metabolism. but ya i think i will drop it to 3100 cals.