PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting prospects?

Spartian
09-07-2011, 03:54 PM
I have been training for a little over a year with firstly a crappy workout designed by me before i started reading into weightlifting then some better programs such as 5x5. However, I have always been sort of interested in powerlifting because i have put up some ok numbers (I think) for my weight and time training. (Although i know this is nothing compared to MANY here!)

At the moment i have..
bench 345lbs x2 (BB style)
dead 450lbs x1
Squat 345lb x4

My weight is 180lbs

I have no technique training and have only trained a year, do you guys think i have any potential? I love lifting in general anyway just wondering if i could do anything.

DGabe24
09-07-2011, 04:01 PM
You have potential if you love the sport. Don't get caught up in competing vs others, just try to beat your own totals / lifts at each meet you compete in.

If you solely compete to beat others, than you're already behind the 8 ball..because like you said, there's always someone stronger :)

Spartian
09-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Good point! I love lifting and testing myself, i dunno i guess i should keep at it :P

Thanks for your post :)

jtteg_x
09-07-2011, 05:33 PM
You have some good numbers for your weight. I say give it a run because you have absolutely nothing to lose! See if there are any raw powerlifting meets in your area and you can kind of guide how many weeks you can prepare for that specific show. It could be one of those things that you just might have to try to like. Be careful because adding numbers to your big-3 lifts can be addictive ;)

NickAus
09-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Short answer, yes!

ScottYard
09-07-2011, 07:22 PM
You have potential if you love the sport. Don't get caught up in competing vs others, just try to beat your own totals / lifts at each meet you compete in.

If you solely compete to beat others, than you're already behind the 8 ball..because like you said, there's always someone stronger :)

You said it all. Just compete with your self and this can be a very rewarding sport. if you Chase numbers or others landmarks you won't get far but frustrated

theBarzeen
09-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Everyone has the potential to make a mark if they work hard enough.....

I started out lifting in 2001 ( at 16) and it took me nearly a year to bench a plate ( 135#).... I was 6'5" and 165#

it took me 10 years to get to my PR total ( in signature).... hitting raw numbers around 650-500-650 at 315#

just keep working, asking questions, and eating.

Spartian
09-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the encouragement / comments guys! Gunna keep lifting hard and see where it gets me!
Thanks again all!!

mastermonster
09-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Yeah! You have really good #s for only training about a year. Start out just trying to beat your own #s like everyone says. With the starting strength you have now, you may find that before too many years you'll be one of the one's approaching some of the more elite records. If it's gonna' happen it'll just happen if you just keep competing and keep upping your meet #s consistantly. If you've got the potential to be at the top it's just hard work and being consistant and staying in the game. You won't have to be obsessed with beating the top guys to eventually beat them. Just stay obsessed with beating your last meet each time. Another step up the ladder with each meet. Train hard and smart, keep learning any way or chance you can and good luck. P.S. This is a great place to learn from a lot of experienced guys!