PDA

View Full Version : bench press plateau

K Y L E
09-09-2011, 12:08 AM
I hit a bench press plateau 2 weeks ago so I decided to take a break from flat bench and go to incline bench press instead on my bench days for a few weeks. so far, my workouts have gone well and i can tell my max incline press has gone up since I rarely do inclines, but, will this have a carryover to the flat bench?

kingns
09-09-2011, 12:21 AM
ya inclines will help your bench if your delts are your weak point, but if you hit a plateau 2 weeks ago I'd say u just had a crappy workout.

Mark!
09-09-2011, 02:37 AM
It'll carry over, it's a good accessory lift for flat bench. How long was this plateau? Was it just one session two weeks ago? Need to make sure you're sticking to your guns and that you've got a good solid routine that you're working with every week, and that your choosing proper accessory lifts to compliment the bench, squat, deadlift, of whatever compound lifts you're doing.

K Y L E
09-09-2011, 02:35 PM
I've been on this plateau for a few weeks, maybe a month or so now. For a while, I tried not benching and just doing DB bench presses, flat and incline. *edit* I know there were many sessions I had trouble pushing over 225.

ScottYard
09-09-2011, 04:08 PM
For some the less they actually bench the stronger their bench gets. Play around with other lifts to mix It up. It may be just what you need to get some prs

thecityalive
09-09-2011, 05:09 PM
After having the same issue a year ago, I decided to really focus on accessories. I never really understood how important they were until I raised my incline 30# and my bench 20#.

Mark!
09-09-2011, 06:22 PM
After having the same issue a year ago, I decided to really focus on accessories. I never really understood how important they were until I raised my incline 30# and my bench 20#.

This is what I did, it was all about accessory work for me and making sure I got enough of it in. After I got my accessories in order and started working on them a lot, my bench has gone up quite a bit.

theBarzeen
09-11-2011, 08:36 PM
all work helps in some way..... and it never hurts to back off if you are stuck.

Good luck

Bako Lifter
09-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I rotate flat bench with incline every three weeks. Every week I hit a pr just about. At least in my case, when my incline goes up, so does my bench, and vise versa.