PDA

View Full Version : Switching to False Grip?

ChadDresden
09-12-2011, 09:26 PM
I am still having some tendonitis issues in my forearm/wrist that I posted a thread about a month ago about. They are progressively getting better the more I get acclimated to the weight and the more I ice and train my forearms. I just wanted to try something different today on my Max effort bench day today so I switched to a false grip. It did take some of the pain/pressure away but I found I was a little weaker. I know it's normal to be weaker when you are trying something new and not used to it. I was concentrating so hard on not letting the bar slip forward out of my hands I didn't keep my back as tight as I should've. That was the biggest thing I noticed. Do any of you have any advice that have ever tried using a false grip? Here is my video from my last set tonight...any critique is welcome!

http://youtu.be/uK6OZct6l-E

I don't know how to make it appear in the post, sorry. Also, I know it seems odd that I have one wrist wrap and it is way down my arm. For some reason, when I stay raw, I find it less painful to wrap both wrists high like I normally do when getting in my shirt and I tried to wrap around the area that feels pain today for some compression just to try something new...

Mark!
09-12-2011, 10:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK6OZct6l-E&feature=youtu.be

Mark!
09-12-2011, 10:34 PM
If it feels good, go with it. I switched to the "suicide"/thumbless grip a while back and don't have anymore forearm pain or elbow pain. Plus it helps keep me tight, I just think, if I don't squeeze the shit out of this bar, I'm going to die.

thecityalive
09-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Never really thought of it that way...HMM

ChadDresden
09-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks for posting the video for me and the reply!

from Ann Arbor huh? How bout that game on Saturday?! Whew...I thought I was going to have a heart attack!

Where do you train at in MI? I get out of the Army in about 2 months, and I will be back at Detroit Barbell full time then.

thecityalive
09-12-2011, 10:46 PM
I was downtown watching that game. THE CITY BLEW UP! Nothing like I have ever experienced tbh. SOOOO MANY PEOPLE.

As far as training, I train at Powerhouse Gym and now at Eastern Michigan University. On the occasion I go to Romulus and train in the rec center there with my friend.

Travis Bell
09-13-2011, 03:50 AM
I don't really recommend it myself. I've seen a lot of guys drop weights on themselves using thumbless grip because they had the bar too low in their palm.

Course then there is Vin who uses thumbless and makes it work so I suppose not everyone is the same.

ScottYard
09-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Im with travis, That grip scares me. I have seen some guys dump big weights with a false grip.

mastermonster
09-13-2011, 11:27 AM
I used to bench thumbless and did so for about 20+ years. I talked to Ryan Kenelly about grips and he said the reason he bench with his thumbs wrapped around was so the forearm flexors would fully engage when he squeezed the bar. He said he felt it gave him several more pounds on his BP. I tried it and shortly felt the same. I've benched thumbs around now for about 7-8 years I guess. I never dropped one thumbless and have seen several dropped both ways. I don't worry about a drop now as much as I did thumbless though. It was always in the back of my mind when I benched back then. One less thing to take your focus off the press.

mike95763
09-13-2011, 12:06 PM
I hurt my hand a while back and had to go thumbless for a month or so. For my raw work it wasn't too bad, although I did loose 15-20 lbs on my lifts (I think I was to busy worrying about dropping the weight to be as explosive as normal), when I shirted up going thumbless was horrible. I always felt like I was loosing the weight and so I had way more trouble touching anything or coming off the chest with any force. If it helps the forearms recover then use it while you have to, but if you can get away with it use thumbless grip on raw work but stick to your regular grip when your shirted.

fooz
09-13-2011, 12:37 PM
I use the thumbless grip, and never had a problem... does take time getting use to when using heavier weights though.

theBarzeen
09-13-2011, 04:06 PM
it scares the bejeezus out of me....

I wrap the forearm like that too though, it works great for the forearm pain during bench and deadlift.....

Mark!
09-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Watching all those videos, it scared the crap outta me too, until I started using it. It took a good while working up to heavier sets (heavy for me) with thumbless, but it feels just as natural, and the bar feels just as secure to me in my hand as it would with thumbs.

ChadDresden
09-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I think I am just going to stick to the ice and compression method and have it slowly get better. My first geared meet is October 15 and I have been busting my ass training for it and I feel switching something this close could be detrimental. After the meet I will take all of the necessary steps to slowly treating the tendonitis. Thanks again.