PDA

View Full Version : How to choose gear?

Ryan Bracewell
09-13-2011, 01:33 PM
I am thinking about doing some geared lifting in my training and possibly in competition too, but i am new to using gear other than my deadlift suit(Metal King Pro DLer). Since I am a beginner at gear I was looking for single ply, but i was also hoping to get a squat suit with velcro straps sense my BW fluctuates quite a bit. The problem is that I can only find double ply with adjustable straps. Would double ply be to much to start with? If it makes a difference my box squat in inzer briefs is around 725, and raw bench around 425-450. Any advice would be appreciated.

vdizenzo
09-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Do you have any friends that are powerlifters? Try out some of their gear first.

Ryan Bracewell
09-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Do you have any friends that are powerlifters? Try out some of their gear first.

For bench shirt yes. I have a buddy with a Rage X single ply and tiny meeker lives 5 minutes from me. But for squat suits no. I way bigger than almost every geared PL I know in the area

If it helps, I was looking at the metal ace pro squatter or the Inzer T-Rex, but was hesitant bc both are double ply

theBarzeen
09-13-2011, 03:59 PM
It's not too much to start multi-ply at all.... just start with looser gear and adjust it in as you get used to it.

Velcro isn't allowed in single ply, that's why you aren't finding what you're looking for. If you really want a single ply suit with velcro for over your briefs ( you'd still compete multi-ply) just call Rudy at Overkill and he'll make you what you want.

I'd still go multi-ply though, probably starting with a loose poly suit ( or loose canvas if you have someone to help learn it)... then take your time tightening it all up.

Dank27
09-13-2011, 04:05 PM
+1 on starting with a loose multi.

My bodyweight fluctuates quite a bit also. After talking with Rudy he recommended poly instead of canvas for this reason.
Give him a shout he is packed full of knowledge to get you into the best gear for you.