PDA

View Full Version : Sumo Videos. Any tips?

ScottYard
09-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Im giving sumo a go. I havent pulled sumo in along time and since the ARNOLD isnt until March Im experimenting. I have no clue really what im doing and none of my guys pull sumo so Im looking for some tips

I worked up to 605 for 3 and 655 for 1. Any thoughts?

605 for 3
s_DEakjq-dQ

655 for 1
zuCix8P0zGc

Mark!
09-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Looked damn solid Scott. How's sumo stack up to conventional for you?

thecityalive
09-13-2011, 07:30 PM
I've always been curious about the grip as not all bars have a grip throughout the length of the bar. Some people like to put their pinky on the grip and the rest of their fingers on the smooth. I suppose a decent sumo grip would just be "inside" of your knees. NickAus has a good sumo form; check his videos here.

jtteg_x
09-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Hey Scott, aren't you a member of Elite Fitness? I swear there are some elite level sumo pullers on that page.
When I pull sumo, my main thoughts are: knees out (like in the squat), toes pointed at 10 and 2 and my nut sack as close to the bar. I'm a short & stalky mofo so you may have to try different toe angles to see what works best for you. One cue I like to give is "F*ck the bar!" aka hip thrusting ;) once the puller gets it past the knee height to really use those hips.

joey54
09-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Looked like the bar helicoptered on that single.

thecityalive
09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
It totally did.

BloodandThunder
09-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Sumo is very technical. If you're setup isn't 100%, sh*t hits the fan fast. Especially since a majority of them fail right off the floor.

From your 655, it looks like you could push your knees out further to open the hips up more (all while keeping your hips closer to the bar). If you're quad-dominant, you may want to keep your stance in (ala Ed Coan). This should maximize the pop off the floor while reducing the amount of hip extension you need. You may want to watch how high your hips are at the start too. Eventually, that becomes a SLDL.

If you're going to pursue sumo, things like foot spacing, foot angle, and setup are things to figure out so you can start practicing them. Alot of lifters also use a squat style sumo instead of grabbing the bar in the manner you did.

ScottYard
09-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Sumo is very technical. If you're setup isn't 100%, sh*t hits the fan fast. Especially since a majority of them fail right off the floor.

From your 655, it looks like you could push your knees out further to open the hips up more (all while keeping your hips closer to the bar). If you're quad-dominant, you may want to keep your stance in (ala Ed Coan). This should maximize the pop off the floor while reducing the amount of hip extension you need. You may want to watch how high your hips are at the start too. Eventually, that becomes a SLDL.

If you're going to pursue sumo, things like foot spacing, foot angle, and setup are things to figure out so you can start practicing them. Alot of lifters also use a squat style sumo instead of grabbing the bar in the manner you did.

Thanks!

theBarzeen
09-15-2011, 03:49 PM
It might have been the camera angle and the thickness of your back, but it looked like you were hunched over pretty bad through the mid back.... obviously your back is strong, but with you bent over it forces the bar farther forward. You might be able to get more out of the pull if you kept the back tight, the knees open, and the bar in close. More like Jose Garcia pulls....

Just my $0.02

Good pulls for just switching over to the new stance though, and good luck with it.

ScottYard
09-15-2011, 06:17 PM
It might have been the camera angle and the thickness of your back, but it looked like you were hunched over pretty bad through the mid back.... obviously your back is strong, but with you bent over it forces the bar farther forward. You might be able to get more out of the pull if you kept the back tight, the knees open, and the bar in close. More like Jose Garcia pulls....

Just my $0.02

Good pulls for just switching over to the new stance though, and good luck with it.

Should my shins be on the bar?

jtteg_x
09-16-2011, 02:39 AM

A guide I use is if your shoulders aren't in front of the bar at the start of the pull, then your fine. I personally like to get as close as possible without ^ happening

theBarzeen
09-16-2011, 04:23 PM

no, but watch the set up..... get to the bar, then get the back tight while pulling the slack out, then drive.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xxlqZqTpAhk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FUWdSU-6Tw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

theBarzeen
09-16-2011, 04:23 PM
http://youtu.be/FUWdSU-6Tw8

http://youtu.be/xxlqZqTpAhk

sorry.... didn't imbed

Ermantroudt
09-17-2011, 08:27 AM
I have found I pull better sumo if I set the arch in my back before getting down to the bar-I have to pull myself to the bar by pushing my knees out.

I flair my feet at about a 45 degree angle and the bar rides the inside of my shin.

Just remember, after the bar passes your knees, stop pulling up and push your hips forward

NickAus
09-17-2011, 04:56 PM
If I dont push my knees out at the start they will never go out as much as they should.