PDA

View Full Version : How do the protien powders affect your cholesterol levels?

44pirate
09-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Curious if there are any studys showing if any increase?
Thanks

K-R-M
09-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Get a low saturated fat protein powder. But really, there's nothing to worry about. If you have genetic hypercholesterolemia and a low fat (and low saturated fat), high fiber diet combined with exercise and a healthy bodyfat % doesn't lower your blood cholesterol levels, then there's close to nothing you can do. It's a genetic pathology which either affects your cholesterol receptors or the receptor recognition protein on LDL, so it's either you take medication or you wait for gene therapy. Either way, adding protein diet to your diet shouldn't change a thing.

chris mason
09-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Very little as most have little to no fat and little cholesterol per serving.

jAy_Dub
09-15-2011, 08:14 PM
A guy I work with takes in MASSIVE amounts of protein powders and MRPs/Weightgainers. 12+ scoops of different powders per day. Hes an ex bodybuilder and is probably nearing 50 years old. Massive dude, close to 300 lbs. Anyway, he went into the doc and saw he had terrible cholesterol. For whatever reason he stopped taking products with whey concentrate (but continued on with isolate, egg, casein, etc) and his cholesterol dropped by 40 points.

This is strictly going by what he told me.

chris mason
09-15-2011, 08:43 PM
I take 6-7 scoops per day and my cholesterol is quite good - I weigh 262 lbs.

It isn't the protein in his case, it is the gross excess of calories and heredity.

44pirate
09-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks guys for the input. The little surfing research I did, came up with the same conclusions.