PDA

View Full Version : post tricep surgery

bald bull
09-17-2011, 11:41 PM
I was cleared by my Dr last week to lift. I tore my L tricep completely off the elbow April 24th benching 435 Raw, a weight i have done numerous times prior. It just wasnt my day. Anyway i have been doing all hammer strength machines for upper body and was wondering if i should do free weights instead or stick with machines for right now? I am thinking the machines are safer but provide only one range of motion where free weights i can have more range with the bar path. I tried benching the bar the other day for the hell of it and it was fine even lock out and all. Lower body i am doing squats and pulls slowly increasing the weight as i do not want to put excess pressure on my tricep. Thoughts? My next upper body day is Wed.

Mark!
09-17-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't have anything to say regarding your come back to the barbell, except welcome back, take it slow good luck with everything.

bald bull
09-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks Mark appreciate the words bro. I also cant wait for East Bound and Down season 3 in jan 2012!!!

Brian C
09-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Whats up BB? Sorry to hear about the injury. Are you still working nights at the prison? Best thing to do would be to get together with some people to train with and get you back in fighting shape. Would love to train with you, but I know last time we talked it was a major scheduling conflict. Glad to hear you are on your way back though. Best of luck bro.

Dank27
09-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Welcome back and def take it slow.

bald bull
09-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks dank and Brian. Yes I am working overnight shift at the Prison still. I have to train on weekends and one of my days off during the week in the afternoon. When do you train Brian and where?

Brian C
09-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks dank and Brian. Yes I am working overnight shift at the Prison still. I have to train on weekends and one of my days off during the week in the afternoon. When do you train Brian and where?

I bench with Tone on Mondays at 6pm in South Philly, and Squat and pull on Saturday mornings at 9 at Iron Sport. Then twice during the week for accessory work

ScottYard
09-19-2011, 12:15 PM
3-4 times a week do a set of 100 reps with a mini band push down. THis is great for recovery. After each session the next day do a recovery workout of very light movements focusing on range of motion and stretching. As for lifting it self take it very slow. When I tore my bicep tendon for the bench I started at 40% and added 10-15 lbs each week for 5-6 weeks until I went to a heavier weight with effort. No need to rush it only sets things back further.

bald bull
09-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks scott for the advice.

joey54
09-20-2011, 12:06 PM
I went slow with my bicep tear and set numbers I wanted to hit in 5 months from when I started. And just worked back from there with everything. Started really light and did the madcow 5x5, which doesn't have a lot if variety. But it gets one training the movements to the point they become second nature again. Whatever you do good luck.

bald bull
09-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks Joey