PDA

View Full Version : Bulking with 6 - 2 week cycles

Spartian
09-23-2011, 05:18 AM
I am currently bulking on HCT-12 eating around +500-750 cals per day, however i really don't want to get too far out of shape. I am currently 15-17% body fat and would prefer to not let this slip any higher! I was wondering if bulking for 6 weeks and cutting for 2 weeks could work to keep lean gains maximised. I figured this could work in well with HCT-12 as every 4-6 i need a deload week and will work from a slightly lower weight the following week.

Am i being stupid or could this work alright? Also how many calories do you think i could be cutting during the 2 week phase?

Thanks to all that add feedback / suggestions!! :)

Behemoth
09-23-2011, 12:40 PM
I am currently bulking on HCT-12 eating around +500-750 cals per day, however i really don't want to get too far out of shape. I am currently 15-17% body fat and would prefer to not let this slip any higher! I was wondering if bulking for 6 weeks and cutting for 2 weeks could work to keep lean gains maximised. I figured this could work in well with HCT-12 as every 4-6 i need a deload week and will work from a slightly lower weight the following week.

Am i being stupid or could this work alright? Also how many calories do you think i could be cutting during the 2 week phase?

Thanks to all that add feedback / suggestions!! :)

It could work. I wouldn't expect to lose much fat in your two week spans but you'll shed a lot of bloat weight and keep you more presentable during your bulk. I myself tend to believe bulking in such a fashion nets more muscle built than just one long bulk and one long cut. But, I don't have anything to substantiate this, it's just a speculation/hunch that I question from years of gaining and losing weight.

BallsWideDeep
09-23-2011, 12:53 PM
I've often thought of doing the same thing, but perhaps a three month bulk followed by a one month cut.

The only problem I could imagine is a few days wasted time while dialing in calories. My metabolism is pretty strong when I'm eating a bunch, but quickly starts crapping out when I'm sub-caloric. It takes me a few days/weeks to learn what levels I need.

I don't have enough experience to be conclusive, but after the two times I've dieted I always shot out of the hole with the best gains (weight and lifts). Also both times after about 3-4 months in to bulking my body weight and lifts stop reliably moving up, and in the past I just kept throwing calories at the problem. Maybe the reset in diet in beneficial. I would like to know others experience with this.

It does sound nice not to diet for 3 or 4 months straight.

Holto
09-25-2011, 03:17 PM
I am currently 15-17% body fat and would prefer to not let this slip any higher!

If I were to just lift this sentence out of your post it sounds like it's time to cut. There is just something great about starting a bulk with no fear.

breezeert24
09-25-2011, 07:59 PM
It's could be work, but you should keep your resolve. Come on

Spartian
09-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Think its worth the 6/2 so i can keep fat under control. I want to build till xmas then cut to where id like to be, this would help make the cutting process easier.

JSully
09-26-2011, 02:11 PM
why not something like 4 weeks bulking, 3 weeks cutting?

You're really only going to get a solid 7-9 days out of that 2 weeks as the first 4-6 days is just going to be shedding water/bloat..

Behemoth
09-26-2011, 07:01 PM
why not something like 4 weeks bulking, 3 weeks cutting?

You're really only going to get a solid 7-9 days out of that 2 weeks as the first 4-6 days is just going to be shedding water/bloat..

Your body will still lose "real weight" while shedding bloat...

mchicia1
09-26-2011, 08:50 PM
If I were you, and if you are truly 15-17%, I would diet down a bit before even starting this process. Your method could work, but you won't know until you try. Carb cycling is another option.

Spartian
09-27-2011, 04:34 AM
I really wanted to bulk up to december before cutting down to where i want to be for summer (10-12%). I certainly could try carb cycling but i have never tried it before...

i dug up this article do you think this is cover it all?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/2_weeks_to_shredded

JSully
09-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Your body will still lose "real weight" while shedding bloat...
true, but you said it yourself above, you aren't really going to get as much fat loss as if you were consistent for 2+ weeks.

vdizenzo
09-27-2011, 08:30 AM
I like this idea of shorter duration cutting and bulking.

Behemoth
09-27-2011, 10:39 AM
true, but you said it yourself above, you aren't really going to get as much fat loss as if you were consistent for 2+ weeks.

Yeah, I'm not in disagreement with that at all. Not much is going to happen in a two week diet, and the OP shouldn't expect much leaning out to occur.

Just clarifying that there isn't really a lag time before things start happening. If you net a deficit in energy on the first day of your diet your body is almost certainly going to contain less stored energy that very day.

JSully
09-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Just clarifying that there isn't really a lag time before things start happening. If you net a deficit in energy on the first day of your diet your body is almost certainly going to contain less stored energy that very day.
agreed. funny though, I don't FEEL as if I'm losing weight until the 3rd-4th day of dieting, lol. not sure why, but that very reason is what would keep me away from a 2 week ordeal such as this. at the same time, I don't think this is a bad idea, I would just prefer a 4/3 ratio over 6/2, just my opinion.

as a side note, I'm interested in your opinion on the topic I posted re: carb back-loading. /hijack

Spartian
09-27-2011, 12:35 PM
If i took 4:3 with HCT, how would this work in? 1 week deload and 2 weeks attempting the same weight i hit at the end of the 4th week with calorie defect / cardio?

Do you guys think this is an effective method or should i just stick to one?

Thanks for all the replies, all have been really helpful and informative for me! Thank you