PDA

View Full Version : limit to protein absorption?

nzk
05-26-2002, 10:20 AM
i heard that your intestine can only absorb 40 grams of protein per meal...is this fact or myth? so does this mean that i can eat 50 even 60 grams of protein per meal and not lose absorption, or is there a true limit? i.e. better to take small protein amounts frequently vs. large protein amounts infrequently?

martijn
05-26-2002, 10:29 AM
It is better to eat small amounts. Your body can not store amino's. How much amino's you can "absorb" also depends of how good your digestion is. 50/60 grams is a guideline of how much you can absorb.

Clark
05-26-2002, 07:56 PM
no matter how much / little you have, all of it will never be fully absorbed, but having more means that you have more that is able to be absorbed. bottom line, make sure you get at least 25-40 grams every meal (5-6 meals in a day), but getting more won't hurt you

Vido
05-28-2002, 11:18 AM
If you put 10 g of protein in your body not all of it will be absorbed. If you put 40 g of protein in your body not all of it will be absorbed. If you put 100 g of protein in your body not all of it will be absorbed. The fact of the matter is protein will never be fully absorbed so if you want 40 g to be digested at a meal you better eat more. I certainly do not think that the body ceases to metabolize protein after the magical 40th gram has been ingested. There probably is no limit but as you keep putting more and more protein in your body less and less will actually be absorbed. The optimal dosage for you is going to depend on your digestive tract.

Blood&Iron
05-28-2002, 12:32 PM
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hsn_artcls_proteinmyths.html