PDA

View Full Version : Who does off the chest pin presses?

thewicked
09-25-2011, 09:09 PM
I've only recently started and love them...especially heavy singles. Who does them and how do you feel it effects your pressing power?

kingns
09-25-2011, 09:37 PM
I do them, I really like them. Only for singles

Mark!
09-25-2011, 11:02 PM
I do em, I like em too. I'll work up to heavy singles, then back it down and do sets of 10 reps, 15 seconds in between each rep.

Christianiron
09-26-2011, 06:47 AM
I have done them & like them, but If I do too often they beat up the shoulders.

Travis Bell
09-26-2011, 09:02 AM
I don't do them off the chest, but about once every cycle or every other cycle I'll do them about 1-2" off my chest

Off my chest seems to wreck my shoulders

Off Road
09-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I don't do them off the chest, but about once every cycle or every other cycle I'll do them about 1-2" off my chest

Off my chest seems to wreck my shouldersThat has been my experience with them too. A couple of inches off the chest relieves any pain.

thewicked
09-26-2011, 02:49 PM
I've been doing them roughly an 1" off the chest and my shoulders feel GREAT after benching. I've been doing singles with 80% of my 1rm after my bench work in hopes to build up my pressing power off my chest. Good idea or bad?

MrBean
09-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Terrific exercise.

Travis Bell
09-26-2011, 06:33 PM
I've been doing them roughly an 1" off the chest and my shoulders feel GREAT after benching. I've been doing singles with 80% of my 1rm after my bench work in hopes to build up my pressing power off my chest. Good idea or bad?

The phrase "too much of a good thing isn't a good thing" applies here. There are lots of other ways to improve your power off your chest.

covpride
09-27-2011, 07:14 AM
The phrase "too much of a good thing isn't a good thing" applies here. There are lots of other ways to improve your power off your chest.

What else do you suggest? I do the pin presses from my chest, I move my grip in some, this seems to relieve some shoulder strain for me.

Travis Bell
09-27-2011, 07:50 AM
What else do you suggest? I do the pin presses from my chest, I move my grip in some, this seems to relieve some shoulder strain for me.

Pausing everything, paused floor press, paused full range, paused with bands, paused DB Bench, cambered bar bench, etc.

If something causes strain to your shoulders, don't keep doing it. Everything in moderation

mchicia1
09-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Pausing everything, paused floor press, paused full range, paused with bands, paused DB Bench, cambered bar bench, etc.

If something causes strain to your shoulders, don't keep doing it. Everything in moderation

Thanks Travis! I never thought of simply just pausing all pressing to help off the chest.

One more question...what exactly is a off the chest pin press? If you are lifting it off your chest, doesn't the bar never touch the pins?

Travis Bell
09-27-2011, 10:10 AM
It'd probably be better termed "chest level" pin press. The pins are whats actually causing the bar to stop, but there is minimal to no space between the bar and your chest.

theBarzeen
09-27-2011, 06:59 PM
I do them 1-2" off of the chest for speed work.

When I get to the pins I pull the bar down/my belly up to mimic what I do in my shirt.... stay tight.... then explode up from the pins.

I didn't like going heavy with them though. To each their own....

jtteg_x
09-27-2011, 07:18 PM
been awhile since i did pin pressing. thanks for the reminder :p

i always do them off the floor as precaution to the shoulders.

Niko_El_Piko
09-27-2011, 10:40 PM
I use them 2/3" from chest, but NEVER as singles. Always as supplemental/2nd for chest, in a rolling exercise chest selection for a 3 x 5 rep scheme.

Christianiron
09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I was talking to Joe DiMarco about those. There was a 60s Muscle Builder article about the Culver City Westside guys doing these, but Joe told me they pretty much abandoned them after a few weeks because of shoulder pain. Joe mentioned if you put a pad on your chest, it takes some of the pressure off the shoulders, as the bar gets cushioned a bit at the bottom. They used pads for heavy benches a lot back then,too, much like board presses today

theBarzeen
09-28-2011, 08:17 PM
I was talking to Joe DiMarco about those. There was a 60s Muscle Builder article about the Culver City Westside guys doing these, but Joe told me they pretty much abandoned them after a few weeks because of shoulder pain. Joe mentioned if you put a pad on your chest, it takes some of the pressure off the shoulders, as the bar gets cushioned a bit at the bottom. They used pads for heavy benches a lot back then,too, much like board presses today

we use this a lot.... just cut an old foam roller in half ( lengthwise so we now have 2 semi-circle foam boards to bench to)

dedsqtbnch
10-06-2011, 06:43 PM
just started a 6 week cycle of this. once my warm ups are done ill do about 4 worksets than 5 sets of 3 off the pins. the only diff is i started 4in from lockout and going down a pin every week working with 110% max