PDA

View Full Version : Looking For More Power

North Country
09-27-2011, 05:44 AM
I am a heavy Kettlebell lifter with aspirations to one day compete in Kettlebell sport competitions. I'm 5'7, weigh 138lb, and can military press a 40kg Kettlebell for 1 rep each side. I have used Kettlebells to get into strength training and lately have been focusing on increasing my weights in the military press and the deadlift, my current DL max is 325lb. I want to own a 40kg military press(6x3) by the end on the year and am looking for advice for building power around this lift. My initial thought is to start hitting barbell presses hard in order to approach the lift from different angles, currently I am going between 40kg, 32kg, and 2x24kg lifts. Looking for some advice out there. Thanks in advance,
N.C.

Christianiron
10-05-2011, 06:29 AM
NC,
Interesting that you got no replies. You mention deadlifts and military presses in particular. If you seek overall power, deadlifts and squats are the keys, IMO. On the Mil press thing, of course you need to practice that lift, but strengthening the entire shoulder girdle with rear delt work, shrugs, lateral raises and hitting OH work in different ways ( barbell, dbell, kbell, seated, standing, beh neck,etc) wil ultimately bring improvement to pressing OH. You might want to try some static holds with heavy weights at various pts along the OH press ROM also. Hit Pr's in various types of presses in different workouts & you will eventually PR the move of choice.