PDA

View Full Version : Training For Heavy DL

North Country
09-27-2011, 05:57 AM
Looking for advice on training to push my DL max up over 400lb. I am 5'7, 138lb and have a max DL of 325lb. I don't use supplements and pretty much follow a healthy poor mans diet(eat what I can afford, when I can afford it) definitely a healthy diet but more from the garden then the grocery. My current training regiment revolves around heavy Kettlebell presses(6 sets of 1 to 6 reps depending on weight) and DL(6 sets 2 reps between 275 and 310) but I only go for my max once every 2 or 3 weeks. Any advice for how to go about hitting that 415lb goal without breaking my back in the process? Thanks
N.C.

dynamo
09-27-2011, 07:00 AM
if you're not keen on following a routine I would just incorporate some rack pulls, and some good mornings and stop maxing out so much.

Kevin K
09-27-2011, 07:45 AM
^^ What he said and also heavy standing ab work. Also, more FOOOOODDDDD!!!

theBarzeen
09-27-2011, 07:02 PM
It depends where your weakness is... where do you fail on a pull? Work that spot.

I would also add some basic work for overall strength.... SQUATS! rack pulls or pulls against bands, leg press, rows.

Tom Mutaffis
09-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Looking for advice on training to push my DL max up over 400lb. I am 5'7, 138lb and have a max DL of 325lb. I don't use supplements and pretty much follow a healthy poor mans diet(eat what I can afford, when I can afford it) definitely a healthy diet but more from the garden then the grocery. My current training regiment revolves around heavy Kettlebell presses(6 sets of 1 to 6 reps depending on weight) and DL(6 sets 2 reps between 275 and 310) but I only go for my max once every 2 or 3 weeks. Any advice for how to go about hitting that 415lb goal without breaking my back in the process? Thanks
N.C.

What is your current sticking point on the deadlift (stuck on the floor, at the knees, lockout)?

Also, do you do any accessory work such as box squats, good mornings, etc.?

bald bull
09-28-2011, 12:46 AM
stiff legged deads off plates, defecit deads, reverse hypers, rack pulls 3 diff levels, leg press(on pull day as ass ex), gm's, shrugs