PDA

View Full Version : westside bench questions

Bosshogg300
09-28-2011, 08:33 AM
i am just focusing mainly on bench, and i am doing max upper and repetition bench in place of dynamic and am wondering if i did my repetition bench with a different bench each week working up in percent wise that would be fine or could i do dumbbell press for my main lift aswell when i start to plateau, also could i add more bench movements in place of accesory work on repetition bench day, so i would do my main movement then do like close grip or 4 board then lockouts then my other accessory work or would that put me into to much recovery, the way i have my workout routine set up now is monday max upper wednesday lower and friday rep bench, and my final question is could i seperate my back work from my bench days or is that a bad idea i know that it is not the norm for westside but i am just trying to tweak things and get the most out of everything for strength and size for my upcoming football combine

Travis Bell
09-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Why on earth ignore DE bench?

Bosshogg300
09-28-2011, 11:37 AM
i was having elbow problems and wasnt yeilding much results from dynamic bench so i swithched things up after reading a jim wendler article and am doing 4 week waves alternating between dynamic and rep

brandonlilly3
09-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Not to take away from what Travis might say, I would say far and away the majority of the time, when I speak to guys with elbow pain, they blame the Dynamic day, but I blame ego. Most guys use way too much weight on speed days. When I trained with Dave (Hoff) we both bench well into the 500's raw, and seldom used more than 225 and bands or chain. We varied our resistance but kept bar weight roughly at the 225 mark, we might jump up to 245 or 275 for a set or two, but most of the time it was the same old boring 225. We all made progress, and none of us had pain. I would look at this first. I have seen some guys who bench 405 try to use 315 for "speed sets", Im sure Travis can elaborate on his own experiences, but before I ditched the Dynamic Day, drop way down and work on being as explosive as possible, and see if the elbow pain doesnt subside.

kingns
09-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Even if you only do 135 for 8x3 i think you should still keep DE work. Ive thought about ditching it when my main goal is hypertrophy but the way I look at it is : you done only a few DE sets a week compared with the TONS of reptition work you do with all the accessory work. Adding a few more sets of rep bench wont add much to your program, but taking away the little bit of DE benching will take out a whole component. And also I use 135-185 with varying amounts of bands or chains and bench around 400 raw.

vdizenzo
09-29-2011, 08:36 AM
I am not certain how much I buy into dynamic benching, however, if nothing else it is volume. I also agree many people train it too heavily. I think all too often people downplay the importance of the entire day. If you are training WS the DE day should be treated as importantly as the ME day. JMHO.

*I tried to edit my post so it does not read agree agree and it only says it once. Now that's weird. Am I the only one who sees agree in there twice?

Off Road
09-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Am I the only one who sees agree in there twice?I only see one 'agree'.

Chicksanboy
09-29-2011, 09:28 AM
I agree with Mr Lilly, DE should remain. I do use a bit high percentage than he does, but then again, I dont have any pain yet and Im just using what works for me at the moment. I always use the weight as my guide. If 185 is moving fast, I go up. If 225 is moving fast, I go up. Dont get locked into percentages. But then again, Im not a pro or a record holder, so definately take my advice with a grain of salt please.

Good Luck brothers

Bosshogg300
09-29-2011, 01:44 PM
well i will just remain with the dynamic bench then