PDA

View Full Version : Tips/tricks for increasing appetite?

bloodybob
09-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Ok. So I've been lifting for nearly a year... started out at 145 lbs, could squat and deadlift about 90 lbs each.
I now weigh 171 lbs, can squat ~200 and can deadlift ~225.
Though I'm happy to have made so much progress, I think a lot of guys make a hell of a lot more progress in their first year (true or false?). I think my biggest hindrance is my diet.
I need ~4000 calories/day to grow, but my appetite is just dismal. I could eat around 2000 cals a day and feel satisfied. I don't really love food like most people do, and nearly have to forcefeed myself breakfast.

Any advice on ways to get myself hungrier??

mchicia1
09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Drink more shakes

J.C.
09-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Train really fucking hard.

That was the smart-ass answer, but certain high-intensity programs will normally make you hungrier. Otherwise, just get more calories per mouthful, so add olive oil and cheese to meals. Switch to whole milk. Eat beef instead of chicken.

As for breakfast, I used to be exactly the same and one thing I found that really worked was to drink about a pint of water as soon as you wake up. Fill a large glass full of water and leave it by your bed when you go to sleep. Down it first thing when the alarm goes off, have a shower, and then you should find you have more of an appetite by breakfast time. Going straight to heavy food can be a bit of a shock, but this really helps get things moving.

K Y L E
09-28-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm in the same exact boat as you on this. I started consistent weight training last December weighing 129 and I've stuck with it and couldn't be happier, now I weigh 150 with mostly muscle gains. I'm trying to increase my appetite too in order to get 3500 cals so I can grow (my bw x 25) and I have a hard time stomaching it all. Tips I've found.. eat pasta.. a big bowl of that can equal almost 2000 calories even if you eat it in two sittings that's still helpful. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to as many things as you can, or even just sip it, the taste isn't too bad, and it adds 120 calories to whatever. If you have Nitrean+ mix two scoops of that in with 16 ounces of milk and you got an easy 520 calories and I drink 3 of those per day. Hope you found this a little helpful and let me know if you get any more tips

Spartian
09-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Drink your calories, Milk is great and is high in calories.

krazylarry
09-28-2011, 04:23 PM
2x for shakes, you can drink way more calories than you can eat. And if you want to go the chemical route EQ and GHRP 6.

Off Road
09-28-2011, 04:33 PM
20 rep breathing squats...'nuff said.

Behemoth
09-28-2011, 04:36 PM
dextrose

cic
09-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Smoke marijuana, it will give you the munchies.
Hey, Arnold puffed! :evillaugh:LOL!!

He achieved much more than most will! :hello:

krazylarry
09-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Smoke marijuana, it will give you the munchies.
Hey, Arnold puffed! :evillaugh:LOL!!

He achieved much more than most will! :hello:

Seriously, I know for a fact at least one of the top 5 in the MR. Olympia smokes so he can force himself to eat.

MarkCollins
09-29-2011, 08:51 AM
running does it for me ... cardio actually.

Off Road
09-29-2011, 09:00 AM
running does it for me ... cardio actually.
But wouldn't that be counter-productive to his weight gain goals?

StLRPh
09-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Training hard with squats and deadlifts always helps my appetite. Other options are to make sure you eat food that actually tastes good and is calorically dense and drinking calories works well.

thecityalive
09-29-2011, 11:07 AM
I always want to shoot down an elephant and consume it raw after my deadlift and squat days. High intensity = the way to go.

J.C.
09-29-2011, 11:35 AM
But wouldn't that be counter-productive to his weight gain goals?

I think Lyle McDonald recommends one or two light cardio sessions a week for hardgainers for the same reason.

randelljim
10-11-2011, 06:17 PM
If anything, consider that a blessing that your appetite will only allow so much. What I would suggest is something small when you wake up. A banana, orange, those mini sausage biscuts you microwave. Or drink something. A glass of milk, orange juice, a smoothie. If you have a blender, make your own. You want something healthy and something filling. The healthier you eat, the better your appetite will be. You may never get your appetite up real high, but doing stuff like this can help.

Allen Cress
10-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Appetite is a killer for a lot of individuals, myself inlcluded. After you have gained a significant amout of weight, say 15-20 lbs and have maintained it for at least a month, reduce your food intake by about 200 caloires for about 1-2 months then increase them again by around 500. You can't force your body to gain and if you try it will be counter productive and could cause issues. You wanna coax it more than anything.

Also alternate shakes with solid food meals and make sure you are getting in a good amount of fats as well as they are caloire dense. One of my favorite shakes is Nitrean, frozen blueberries, olive oil, peanut butter, oatmeal all blended together. The serving size of each would depend on your macro breakdown.