PDA

View Full Version : Time spent stretching, rehabbing, and recovery.

vdizenzo
10-02-2011, 08:05 AM
I am noticing as I get older I need to spend more and more time on rehab, stretching, and recovery. I struggle with this because when I feel better I forget about it. I am building it into my program permanently now.

Just curious how many of you have built it into your program? Looking back now, I'm surprised I have had the longevity I have had without it. It sure would be nice to be mostly pain free.

jtteg_x
10-02-2011, 08:35 AM
It's been a habit of mine to dedicate 7min+ of stretching before training sessions. I spend more time on lower body sessions as I am cautious with my lower back condition. I'm a bit curious to see how everyone streches pre workout here? Upperbody, I normally do arm circles (forward + backward), double hand lat stretch (standing + crouching), single hand lat stretch, elbow bend toward ceiling, 5lb plate raises, and a bit shoulder work with light or mini band.

edit: been training since 05' and injury free (upperbody wise) and hoping to keep it that way! *knock on wood*

thecityalive
10-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Foam logs, medicine balls, and lacrosse balls are my best friends. Ever since I started reading articles on WBB about foam rolling, I've subscribed to that school of thought pre and post workout.

I also love active release, but when it's pricy, I resort to my lacrosse ball. It simulates someone driving their elbow into my body. Sure, it may be painful as shit, but afterwards, I feel amazing. Sometimes I will just friends to knead out my back for me. Might as well call my back Rice Krispies with all the snap, crackle, n pop that goes on in the fascia. I usually pass out after these sessions in a heated blanket. :clown:

I do stretch, but only light stretching...nothing dynamic. Perhaps a hamstring or pect stretch every once in a while, but nothing too wild.

UncleAl
10-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Before a workout, I'll do foam rolling, a full body warmup (three minutes of bike or rower), and task specific prehab (for example, rotator work before benching). Afterwards, I try to remember to do a few stretches or mobility movements. As far as pain free goes, I doubt I'll ever get out of bed the morning after heavy pulls without falling on my face, no matter what I try to do to prevent it.

kingns
10-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Its really tough to make it a permanent part of your workout. Unless your hurting you dont seem to prioritize it. Like my lower body needs a lot of work so I always work on that, I stretch my hips and legs more on bench day than anything else. But I realize I neeeeed to hit some stuff all the time.
I try to always do these things atleast : Always do the broomstick dislocate stretch every workout (20 reps, bring hands closer when I can) and that covers the majority of my upper body stretching. But for lower body I just stretch before workout, do some dynamic stuff and after more static stretches (prioritize what you need the most, like hip flexor, hams, glutes, then quads and calves).
Im a student so in class I try to sit on one of these spikey balls http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=143&pid=1466 . If I just wedge it under my ham, or butt, or if I cross my leg my piriformis, It seems to loosen me up. (Sit in the back so not too many ppl can see you) I hope when I have a real job I can get away with this. The more you sit the more bound up you get Ive noticed.

ScottYard
10-02-2011, 02:57 PM
I roll in some form or another daily. 5 minutes tops. I do mobility work 4 days per week. Another 5 minutes. I do cardio 2 times per week for 25 minutes. Since I stated all this a year ago I haven't had a strain, tweak or pull that was gym related.

Sensei
10-02-2011, 07:55 PM
I do a little stretching during warm-ups, but most of my stretching is in front of the tube or when I'm otherwise just sitting around. I try to stretch, foam-roll/work on trigger points, ice, etc.

If I had more time and $$, I'd probably get a weekly massage.

Travis Bell
10-02-2011, 09:01 PM
On recovery days I spend 15-30min stretching and a little more foam rolling and hitting the lacrosse ball

Huge fan of it. I spend probably 5min pre workout on normal training days and I'm good to go. I notice a really big difference in my recovery as well as how I feel overall during a training cycle.

When I neglect it, I am much more likely to collect small injuries like pulls or strains.

mastermonster
10-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Since the shoulder replacement I've started (after about 4 months) chain wrestling (instead of ropes) and Indian club movements. I think maybe I wouldn't have had so much shoulder damage if I'd done these all along. It will stay in my pre-workout routine from now on!

mastermonster
10-02-2011, 09:39 PM
P.S. I'm competing Saturday in Baton Rouge just 10 months after the replacement. Louie Simmons really knows his stuff about coming back from this surgery!

RFabsik
10-02-2011, 09:51 PM
If you are looking for a mobility source check out Kelly Starrett's mobility wod. He's the CrossFit guru on mobility, is a trained PT and does a great job hitting all areas of the body. He's worked with Mark Bell as well. Using his vids is a great way to get in the habit of working over the whole body.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/

Cricket_Fire
10-03-2011, 06:58 AM
I wrote up a quick warmup routine recently because I was starting to feel pretty beat up (knees, biceps, shoulder, and most recently hip flexor have all hurt). I got Magnificent Mobility a long time ago, aswell as a mobility vid/ebook from Joe Hashey, and a member of my gym brought me in Assess and Correct. They were all really helpful; went through them, picked out what I thought I might need and got started.

Doing a few dynamic stretches, some glute activation stuff (mega lame but apparently could be the cure for the hip flexor pain lol), and a bit of shoulder stability stuff (band rotator cuffs and YTI's). All in all it takes me about 10 minutes. It's helped a lot as far as I can tell; only been a couple weeks, but I've been very close to pain free.. which has been pretty damn rare lately lol

Just bought a pvc pipe yesterday to roll over

IronDiggy
10-03-2011, 08:49 AM
It's something I don't do often enough. I will generally spend more time warming up if I feel tight and not good, otherwise it's generally straight under the bar. I often forget or am running behind and have to catch up with other people.

On the topic, anyone see the video Chad Wesley Smith put out for his upper body warmup? Would take me 40 minutes to complete heh.

mike mcgee
10-03-2011, 08:53 AM
On recovery days I spend 15-30min stretching and a little more foam rolling and hitting the lacrosse ball

Huge fan of it. I spend probably 5min pre workout on normal training days and I'm good to go. I notice a really big difference in my recovery as well as how I feel overall during a training cycle.

When I neglect it, I am much more likely to collect small injuries like pulls or strains.

I am in total agreement with Travis. Foam rolling and using the lacrosse ball are amazing.

Travis Bell
10-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Chad Wesley Smith's video

TOUVN9oraF4

Very interesting. This is much more in depth than what I do, but I could really see the value in doing stuff like this

BloodandThunder
10-03-2011, 10:14 AM
My warmup for the past few months:
Small time static stretching the hips and hams (got to make sure you can get into proper position)
Foam roll and band traction for upper and lower body
Shoulder dislocates, band face pull and pull aparts, YTWLs, arm circles, should retractions on pullup bar, band rows and arm swings.
I do KB windmills, band GMs, thoratic extensions on GHR, no weight reverse hypers and hypers for erectors and torso.
Do all types of runner swings and circles for legs, firehydrants, buttkicks, reverse lunge to SLRDL, birddogs and glute bridges for lower body.

Then I warmup with the main movement lol. By this time, some other people come put their bag down and throw on 225 on the squat then complain about being tight. I static stretch at night before I go to bed.

Since I've been doing this warmup routine (no matter what I'm doing that day), I have less joint discomfort, better movement patterns, and overall less stiffness in problem areas like hips and lower back. I'd rather cut out 15 minutes of lifting than this if I'm short on time. I also work long hours, don't sleep much, and sit for long periods of the day. So this helps counteract all of that.

I think consistency leads to less injuries and more progress as always in training.

IronDiggy
10-03-2011, 10:35 AM
My warmup for the past few months:
Small time static stretching the hips and hams (got to make sure you can get into proper position)
Foam roll and band traction for upper and lower body
Shoulder dislocates, band face pull and pull aparts, YTWLs, arm circles, should retractions on pullup bar, band rows and arm swings.
I do KB windmills, band GMs, thoratic extensions on GHR, no weight reverse hypers and hypers for erectors and torso.
Do all types of runner swings and circles for legs, firehydrants, buttkicks, reverse lunge to SLRDL, birddogs and glute bridges for lower body.

Then I warmup with the main movement lol. By this time, some other people come put their bag down and throw on 225 on the squat then complain about being tight. I static stretch at night before I go to bed.

Since I've been doing this warmup routine (no matter what I'm doing that day), I have less joint discomfort, better movement patterns, and overall less stiffness in problem areas like hips and lower back. I'd rather cut out 15 minutes of lifting than this if I'm short on time. I also work long hours, don't sleep much, and sit for long periods of the day. So this helps counteract all of that.

I think consistency leads to less injuries and more progress as always in training.

Sounds like me. Except I usually come in, do bodyweight squats, then a few reps with the bar then with 135, and after that I generally make 90lbs jumps to my working weight. I think I need to spend a quick 5 minutes on the treadmill to warmup the legs and do some stretching/foam rolling.

mchicia1
10-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Regardless of age, as soon as you get into the 3/4/5 range on your main lifts, you better be doing active recovery. If I miss a few stretching sessions in a row, good bye lower back and shoulder.

Cricket_Fire
10-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I static stretch at night before I go to bed.

Forgot to mention this too; I run through the little warmup routine I outlined before workouts, but I'm also doing some extra pvc rolling and static stretching mid-afternoon before work (lifting is in the morning). I'd like to do some after my PM cardio session too; only reason I don't is when I'm that sweaty, getting down on the ground means definately getting covered in dog hair from the carpet lol

MrBean
10-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I never stretch. I get better pop when my muscles are tight. But do one week active rehad / recovery at the end of the last cycle.

Travis Bell
10-03-2011, 07:54 PM
I never stretch. I get better pop when my muscles are tight. But do one week active rehad / recovery at the end of the last cycle.

You'll probably be able to get away with that at a 200lb bench, but when you start progressing to heavier weights the only pop you're going to hear is your ligiments

JK1
10-03-2011, 08:09 PM
If you are looking for a mobility source check out Kelly Starrett's mobility wod. He's the CrossFit guru on mobility, is a trained PT and does a great job hitting all areas of the body. He's worked with Mark Bell as well. Using his vids is a great way to get in the habit of working over the whole body.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/

I was just introduced to his website last week. He definately appears to know his stuff. We will be incorporating more of his stuff in the future.

I basically try to foam roll at some point every day. I stretch (pecs, triceps, hamstrings and calves) every day. I'll focus more on stuff like hips on bench days.

Pure Water
10-06-2011, 12:32 PM
I try to do foam rolling, stretching, and skipping/biking before every workout, as many days as I can.