PDA

View Full Version : Max lower and Dynamic lower Question

Bosshogg300
10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
i got an idea from jim wendlers 5/3/1 for power lifters, i was thinking of doing for example say this week ill do max upper tonight and Wednesday ill do max lower then Friday dynamic upper then the next week ill do dynamic lower instead of max lower so instead of doing two lower days each week ill switch every week the lower days and would that be fine to do, for i have seen a similar thing when people will deadlift one week and sqaut the next

jordan moffitt
10-03-2011, 06:39 PM
If you're concerned about ME/DE days, why wouldn't you just do the Westside method? I don't know how you'd go about calculating 5/3/1 for speed work or max work.

joey54
10-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Pick one 5/3/1 or Westside. Don't try to make a casserole. When done by someone who knows what they are doing the casserole can be delicious, but when you can't get the ingredients right they turn to shit quickly.

RFabsik
10-03-2011, 10:09 PM
My reading of the original post isn't that he is planning on mixing Westside with 5/3/1. He's planning on doing the Westside workouts. Every week he'd do the ME upper and Dyn Upper day, but on Wednesdays he'd do ME lower one week then Dyn Lower on the following Wed.

Can you make progress if you do ME every other week and Dyn effort on the other weeks? Hoping the extra time off would allow for better recovery. I think this also assumes the upper body recovers faster than the lower.

From a Westside perspective I'd say the answer is no, that training ME and DE that infrequently wouldn't result in detraining. But if you do it, let us know how it goes.

Bosshogg300
10-04-2011, 07:55 AM
RFabsik i am trying to do exactly what you said , and i know its not the conventional westside routine and people will be leary to deviate from the traditional 4 day routine but i feel my lower body responds better than my upper so, im going to try it out and like you said ill rocover better

banger
10-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Don't try to make a casserole. When done by someone who knows what they are doing the casserole can be delicious, but when you can't get the ingredients right they turn to shit quickly.

Now that's pure poetry! I've been looking for a quote to put in my footer. Thanks Joey!

jordan moffitt
10-04-2011, 08:53 PM
If your lower body responds better, why wouldn't you stick to the traditional routine? Good response means good training.

If your upper is lacking, you may want to re-evaluate what has been working and what hasn't. Remember that the Westside Method is all about finding your weak points. It comes to down to something as small as changing your form ever so slightly. You can do the old style of Westside where they change ME exercises every two weeks, or the later style where they change ME movements every week. Something to consider before going a bit off course.

Bosshogg300
10-05-2011, 07:17 AM
thats a good point i am just trying to work alot of conditioning work in with agilty and polymetrics and such and not have my legs sore from my leg workouts that why i thought about going to one day a week, and its not that my upper body doesnt respond well but it just takes alot more work for it to respond like my legs

RhodeHouse
10-05-2011, 12:59 PM
You mentioned plymetric and conditioning work. First - what is the goal of this training cycle? Strength, competiton or conditioning? If it's conditioning, then you cna play around with the template. If it's sternth, then you need to focus on the stuff that's going to make you stronger.

Have focus in training and have a plan. The plan will change, but see it through for the set time you created it for. Otherwise, you'll never really get anywhere.

This is how I would address your issue.

Week 1
Monday - ME Squat/DL
Wednesday - ME Bench
Friday - DE Squat/DL

Week 2
Monday - DE Bench
Wednesday - ME Squat/DL
Friday - ME Bench

Week 3
Monday - DE Squat/DL
Wednesday - DE Bench
Friday - ME Squat/DL

This will allow for plenty of rest for your legs. Remember, have some focus so you can actually make progress.

Bosshogg300
10-05-2011, 07:17 PM
well my fgoals are both i am just trying to find a happy median and get ready for athletics but i certainly want to always get stronger