PDA

View Full Version : repetition training

JSully
10-05-2011, 02:04 PM
In november I'll start my "off-season" for the highland games. This will last until the middle of february or so.

The plan is to practice implements a little less, and hit the weights a little more. Get faster, stronger, etc.

My plan was going to be as follows:

monday = strength speed, big 3 variant + accomadating resistance, focus on keeping weight moderate heavy and over .5m/sec

tuesday = olympic movements & assistance work

thursday = speed strength, big 3 variant + minor accomadating resistance, focus on keeping weight lighter and over 1m/s.

I'm contemplating changing this to monday/wed/fri.. monday being strength as already noted, wednesday being repetition/assistance and friday being speed as already noted.

Wednesday will be either either squats or deads + either bench or overhead presses (to be transitioned weekly) plus assistance work. Will start out in the 50% range for sets of 15 and work up from there over the course of approx 12 weeks. Minimal sets, maybe 3-4 of each, mainly to work on muscular endurance and conditioning. I'll taper down to no less than 8 reps. So, all I'll be doing is exchanging hip snatches and hang cleans for a squat/deadlift variant and bench/ohp variant with high reps. I coul dpossibly even keep the same days and use the endurance stuff as a recovery session to the power stuff.

Discuss plz. I'm interested in others' opionins.

Travis Bell
10-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Ever thought about just doing a pretty standard Westside template?

Creating more strength (read force) is always going to help with your explosiveness as well as accelleration on the throws, which would lead to further distances.

You're kinda halfway there with what you have already, you'd just have to add another day and drop the Oly lifts

JSully
10-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Ever thought about just doing a pretty standard Westside template?

Creating more strength (read force) is always going to help with your explosiveness as well as accelleration on the throws, which would lead to further distances.

You're kinda halfway there with what you have already, you'd just have to add another day and drop the Oly lifts

yes I have, the problem is because of how new I am to this sport. I MUST practice at least 3x/week or I begin to "forget" minor tweaks in technique. They are very complex movements that even with subtle changes can impact the throw by multiple feet. I'd love to lift 4x/week, but there's no way I can lift 4x AND throw 3x and still recover. thoughts?

I was just thinking about doing the RE work instead of the oly movements. Honestly, I'm not trying to be one of those guys looking for advice and doing the opposite so I apologize if I'm coming off that way.

Bruteman
10-05-2011, 03:45 PM
You could still follow the standard template and lift 3 days a week. Just rotate through the days. So week 1 DE squat, ME bench, ME squat. Week 2 DE bench, DE squat, ME bench. Week 3 ME squat, DE bench, DE squat. And so on. I've been doing that along with boxing training and have been happy with the results. Got the idea from one of the older articles at elitefts. Think it was a Tate article, but not certain anymore.

Bruteman
10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
I was wrong. It was Mr. Rhodes.
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/programs/matt-rhodes-3-day-westside-split/

JSully
10-05-2011, 05:30 PM
You could still follow the standard template and lift 3 days a week. Just rotate through the days. So week 1 DE squat, ME bench, ME squat. Week 2 DE bench, DE squat, ME bench. Week 3 ME squat, DE bench, DE squat. And so on. I've been doing that along with boxing training and have been happy with the results. Got the idea from one of the older articles at elitefts. Think it was a Tate article, but not certain anymore.
this makes sense, when would you do RE work though?

edit: upon more thought, I suppose I could do RE stuff after my DE/ME work since I'll only be doing 1/2 ME/DE movements for that day.

I'll look more into this, I appreciate the response.

Bruteman
10-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Here's one you might like better since you want to get some RE work in.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/powerlifting-articles/a-new-look-at-three-days-a-week/

JSully
10-05-2011, 11:05 PM
I was wrong. It was Mr. Rhodes.
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/programs/matt-rhodes-3-day-westside-split/
I really like this. I might just hit up 2-3 sets of high rep (15-20 reps) squats/deads/bench/ohp after each of the primary movements before hitting assistance stuff.

I appreciate the responses. Thanks!!