PDA

View Full Version : IPF Bans APT products

Fuzzy
10-06-2011, 12:15 AM
http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/63.html?&no_cache=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=755&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=d30341f46629fb8c93afa36f7a391d98&PHPSESSID=23a3c7d1a695a0b0f20048b8ff1e2827

'Dear all,

due the fact that the company APT-Pro Wrist Straps does not fulfill their obligations to the IPF, all equipment from the company APT-Pro Wrist Straps will be removed from the IPF approval list with the date 31.12.2011.

With the date of 01.01.2012 the equipment from the company APT-Pro Wrist Straps will be not longer allowed to use at IPF championships or championships of IPF affiliated member federations.

If you have any complain, please contact directly the company APT-Pro Wrist Straps: www.prowriststraps.com

International Powerlifting Federation'

I hope one day this type of bullshit will end. I wonder what they charge equipment manufacturers for the fees... The part that really fucked me off was 'complain to APT.' I'm sure the insane fee has nothing to do with it.

Obscene.

jtteg_x
10-06-2011, 12:20 AM
that truly sucks because APT made superior wrist wraps. why do manufacturers have to pay for some kind of approval in federations anyways?

Fuzzy
10-06-2011, 12:36 AM
that truly sucks because APT made superior wrist wraps. why do manufacturers have to pay for some kind of approval in federations anyways?

Because they are greedy scumbags.

Other goodies from the IPF. I plan to go IPF after 2012 WPC worlds and have a good crack at a junior worlds title, but I have to consider this.

Must book plane tickets through the IPF, higher cost
Must book at official meet hotel, higher price, failure to do so or staying elsewhere results in the lifter being charged extra

The list is endless. This is basic good old fashioned extortion. I'll just lift single ply in the WPC and compare my total to whatever is done at worlds.

jtteg_x
10-06-2011, 02:28 AM
powerlifting can be a very expensive sport to participate in. I can't imagine how much I spent for all my bench shirts, suits, belts, bands, chains, singlets, entry fees, chalk, wraps and the list goes on...:hide:

-JM-
10-06-2011, 03:05 AM
IPF have banned APT in the past. They also banned METAL around the same time when they had demanded more than double the fees than the year before.

Travis Bell
10-06-2011, 05:22 AM
They charge an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for the approval. It's really stupid.

Just another reason why the IPF sucks

patricky
10-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Now that I'm off drink I eventually want to compete.
I will remain drug free for life so the IPF seems logical.
But the more I read up on it the more bullshit I keep hearing about. I even came across a court file against powerlifting australia who lost the case.

Also I heard once you join the IPF you can't compete in any other comps. What kind of bullshit is that?

UncleAl
10-06-2011, 05:50 AM
...Must book plane tickets through the IPF, higher cost....
Must book at official meet hotel, higher price, failure to do so or staying elsewhere results in the lifter being charged extra
...This is basic good old fashioned extortion....
I'll say! Do they actually check your airline tickets and hotel receipts? What if you say you drove to the meet and stayed at a friend's home?

I'll stick with the APF and Raw United.

Fuzzy
10-06-2011, 05:53 AM
In 2009. 2 top level IPF lifters got banned for competing in a 5 lift fun comp in a Garage in Melbourne. 6 month suspension for the both of them.

Australia's history, and the federation split back in 1991 is a dirty dirty story.

I am as sure as I can possibly be that the current head of IPF Australia, who used to also be the head of drug testing in ASADA, used to supply dbol to lifters back in the 80's. This is the man implementing policies. Other such fun instances have been getting CAPO (WPC Australia) kicked out of a fantastic competition venue that we paid for.

The more and more I see it, the more and more I hate the IPF. It's a shame, I like their standards and equipment, I just hate the people. I would love to go to an IPF junior worlds and pit myself against other 93's around the world, but it's just too much of a head fuck to deal with such shit.

As a gym owner, if I was an IPF lifter, and was seen to be holsting/helping in a non IPF event, I would be banned for 6 months. You read that right, I would get banned for 6 months for helping someone out at my own novice gym only competitions.

Fuzzy
10-06-2011, 06:00 AM
I'll say! Do they actually check your airline tickets and hotel receipts? What if you say you drove to the meet and stayed at a friend's home?

I'll stick with the APF and Raw United.

I lift similar. I lift in the APF of Aus, Capo, and a raw + wraps fed called Proraw, which has cash prizes.

You have to pay through the federation in Australia and they book everything for you.

It's actually madness. I hope more legit feds, such as the WPC keep growing. Now that WPC has raw, single ply and multi, as well drug tested and non drug tested, it can hopefully begin taking away lifters from the IPF.

BloodandThunder
10-06-2011, 07:58 AM
False.
If you compete at IPF Worlds, the Ed Coan rule comes into play. It's also along the lines of competing in non-drug tested meets against banned lifters (thats why Brian Siders got hit with suspension).

If you compete in the USAPL at a local and national level, you can and are free to lift anywhere you want. (However, the Arnold Raw meet was switched to NAPF at the last minute and screwed alot of lifters who went to the RUM meet. This had to do with the fact that Talmant stated he wanted RUM to be a world level competition and the IPF with their new Unequipped World Cup or whatever its called did not like this).

Also, the approved list DOES NOT affect singlets and belts, just wrist wraps and knee wraps from APT. APT is most likely going under and this is what happened to Marathon when they went under.

I agree though the fee is outrageous and only hurts their sponsorship and participation.

Fuzzy
10-06-2011, 08:11 AM
The rules are different in the land down under.

If an IPF Australia lifter is seen so much as wrapping someones knees, or helping to spot at an unsanctioned meet, that's grounds for a 6 month ban.

chris mason
10-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Gee Fuzzy, you dumbass, why would you compete in a federation like that? There are LOTS of others...

Brian Hopper
10-06-2011, 09:31 AM
They charge an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for the approval. It's really stupid.

Just another reason why the IPF sucks

I agree with Travis.

mastermonster
10-06-2011, 10:34 AM
If the lifters in the countries where there are other feds (like most countries) would just swap to another fed that doesn't charge the extortion fee for even a year, the impact would be so bad to the IPF they'd have little choice but to change the policies or go under. As long as you keep competing with them you are 'voting' to keep the rediculous policies in place....that simple.

BloodandThunder
10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
The problem is that in most countries, the IPF affiliate is often state-funded (unlike the USA). Or worse, like the CPU in Canada, which if you don't lift with, you might have to go halfway across the country to find another meet. Choosing another federation isn't an option.

At the same time, don't think for a second Inzer, Titan, and Metal don't make money off of this deal. The IPF is far reaching in other countries, so by increasing their fee, they eliminate the amount of brands lifters wear, which only increases business for the remaining companies that can pay it. The IPF is very poor at marketing, usually being sponsored by none other than the PL companies (and Powerbar wtf). They're essentially rewarding Titan and Inzer for throwing money at their meets. This is why USPF was hesitant to including Raw meets (as to not piss off Inzer).

Most lifters like myself don't give a damn about traveling to world meets and lift locally in whatever feds are available. Not everyone is so lucky.

Tom Mutaffis
10-06-2011, 04:32 PM
I could only understand the licensing if there were something being offered to the companies in exchange (advertising, exclusive group of customers, etc.). Their methodology must be that if they wipe out the equipment firms with crazy high fees then they can eventually charge one company a ton of money since that company will monopolize the federations lifters.

Either way it doesn't seem like the right thing to do in a sport that is pretty much a niche.

APT seems to have hit a rough patch but I have always had good experiences with their equipment and still use their belts / sleeves / wraps to this day (and have for the past 5+ years).

Dank27
10-06-2011, 05:29 PM

The only problem is you can never get them because they do not know how to stock anything.

theBarzeen
10-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Add this to the list of "what will the IPF do next" genius ideas.....

The last time this came up the number being thrown around was $14,000 for licensing from the IPF.... APT is struggling to make ends meet and this is what the IPF does to a struggling small business.

Chris Rodgers
10-06-2011, 06:44 PM
If you had a choice to lift in ANY other federation, I don't know why anyone would consider lifting in the IPF. Unless they were being paid by their sponsors, country, or someone else to do it, it makes no sense. The federation is so anti-EVERYTHING! If you sweat...red lights, wrong color t-shirt...red lights, your mother's, cousin's first roomate in college was married to a guy who once had a phone conversation with Ed coan that wasn't even powerlifting related...banned. Get over yourself IPF, you're not that cool.

jtteg_x
10-06-2011, 06:51 PM
^I lol'd

BloodandThunder
10-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Again it's a two way street. IPF does it to generate some direct revenue and to get in with the companies for advertising. Inzer Metal and Titan have no problem with it since their business is boosted. Why don't all the companies just get together and say f*** you, we're not paying that? They're making money off it.

Again, most USAPL lifters don't give a rat's ass about the IPF. Many just lift there since they're a large organization who run good meets on a consistent basis. The strictness is there to level the competition. It's mostly about placing for large meets where there's 40 in your class. I've lifted in plenty of feds and don't care where I lift as long as the meets ran offer me, the consumer, a good product. I'll adapt to any rules, equipment, or judging.

I believe the IPF really needs to determine if it wants to be a raw federation down the line, because raw lifting is starting to dwarf the single-ply contingent. That shouldn't make the equipment companies very happy.

Chris Smith
10-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Maybe if APT carried more than 2 different pair of their cheesy wraps in stock, their sales would go up, and they could afford to pay the bullshit fee to the IPF?? Their inventory has been horrendous for months now.

cic
10-06-2011, 08:30 PM
APT, seem to be their own worst enemy.
Tough to make money if you RARELY have your products in stock.
No brainer really.
And folks really desire the product.
I'm sure there is a reason, but don't know what it is.
That being said, I like the rules of the IPF, but the rest seems BS.