PDA

View Full Version : Making weight for a meet

Christianiron
10-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Is it better to stay a bit over desired meet weight & dump a bunch of water right before the meet or to stay close to meet weight year round and try to keep bodyfat levels reasonably low through proper diet/ cardio? ( looking for opinions)

drew
10-06-2011, 01:27 PM
It's best to compete at whatever weight you are at.

JSully
10-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I think it depends on how long of a weigh in you have and what your bodyfat is. Kroc dropped 35lbs to make weight at one point and he was pretty lean when he did it. I wouldn't say this is ideal, but it's an option. I certainly wouldn't try to drop more than 3-5lbs if it was a morning of weigh-in, but if I had a 24hr weigh in and was only 10lbs off from the prior weight class, then I would give it a shot. Just my $.02

Murderous
10-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Ever tried lifting while being dehydrated or being hungry? You'll lose a lot of your strength that way, so staying >10 pounds over the weight class while dropping just enough weight to put you into that weight class seems to be the way to go.

theBarzeen
10-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I feel good cutting 10 lbs of water to make 308#... much more than that and I lose enough strength to make it not worth it. I'm not gunning for any world records in a lighter class, at this point I just want to be as strong as I can be. I ended up SHW at my last meet and that was just fine.

ScottYard
10-07-2011, 11:34 AM
If your chasing a pr or a record I say by all means cut weight. If not just walk in and lift. It's much funner that way

mastermonster
10-09-2011, 09:11 PM
If your chasing a pr or a record I say by all means cut weight. If not just walk in and lift. It's much funner that way

I agree with this. I just cut 11 lbs. to make 242's in about 24 hrs. but it was a day before the meet weighin. I was 248 Thursday night and weighed in at 237 (a little overboard) when I weighed in about 6:00 Friday evening. I was 252 Saturday and lifted fine. I always rebound to more than I started when I cut weigh. I got 2 of the records I wanted. That's about as much as I want to cut comfortably. If I'm not chasing somebody's record I'd rather just go lift at whatever I weigh and try to beat my best #'s and go after the best lifters award.

Fuzzy
10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
I shaved off 11lbs in just under 3 days to weigh in the 209 class (private federation, odd classes) and it was a morning weigh in.

It was horrible to say the least. Had to hot bath the night before and made it by 100 grams. Despite pushing my weight back up really hard I was very adversely affected.

The reason I did this was to win that class at this comp, which has been a huge goal of mine for the year. I did what the fuck I had to to make it. I do NOT reccomend dropping weight unless you are going for a record or to win a weight class. I was outclassed by a good margin in the 242 at this competition.

Despite eating lots, I made a rushed silly mistake and lost my opener on 245kg. Nailed it the second and got 255 on the third. Without the drop I know I was good for a 600lb squat in wraps. I benched 125kg when i should have had 135+, and I deadlifted a very very hard 302.5kg when my best was 322.5 6 weeks before as a comfortable 100kg lifter.

needless to say, it was still enough to win. Just.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302060_10150325215439315_514379314_8291125_486243330_n.jpg

Not a fun experience at all.

24 hour weigh ins are a different beast, and dropping 5-10lbs should not be an issue at all if you eat up and gain all your weight back. Morning weigh ins however... much different.

Just lift at your weight, if you are 3lbs over and can make it by skipping dinner and not drinking past 5pm then you can, but still, better to eat like a horse and lift at your best. This sport is about being strong, not having some @xxx class next to your name.

Next year I will prob do 15lbs to make the 198's for record purposes, but with a 24 hour weigh in that's not an issue.

Be strong, not light.

kingns
10-09-2011, 11:23 PM
ive struggled w this decision too. My first meet 226, second i was 231, next 226 again. The person weighin me in even asked "too lazy to cut?" I thought screw you man I wanna hit a pr. Unless you are going for a record dont cut a lb. I am a week out from my meet, sitting comfertably at 238 and am eating whatever I want. Having to diet the week of the meet would add too much unneeded stress.