PDA

View Full Version : Sodium

kingns
10-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Does loading up on sodium help your strength levels? I am sitting about 4-5 lbs under my weight class limit and am wondering if trying to bloat up will help me at the meet. Does it help and how do you do it?

theBarzeen
10-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Sometimes an extra pound or two can help make equipment fit tighter and etc...

usually though, if you aren't used to training with a good sodium bloat it'll just mess your world up at a meet.... the extra blood pressure will make squats feel rough, the shirt would fit too tight, and deadlifting would be a nightmare.....

I like a little bloat, but I train that way. I eat fairly low sodium all week then on friday nights I up it a bit and eat out. When a meet comes I do exactly what I always do the night before a heavy day, no more and no less.

I tried bloating up for Senior nationals this year.... instead of cutting from 320 to 308, I went from 320 to 335....
my legs turned blue once I got my suit on, I could barely force depth on my opener and lost balance ( which I never do) on my 2nd and 3rd ( a few other lifters also had problems with that platform, but the extra 15lbs didn't help) I ended up having to force an opener bench to touch ( ended up destroying my wrist in the process) and couldn't even get in my deadlift suit so I ended up having to pull raw ( still got 650#!) IN all I totalled 140# lower than what I put up 4 months earlier and I felt crappy about it.....

lesson learned, compete how you train.

Travis Bell
10-08-2011, 05:07 AM
A small 4-5lb bloat always makes me feel better

JK1
10-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Sometimes an extra pound or two can help make equipment fit tighter and etc...

usually though, if you aren't used to training with a good sodium bloat it'll just mess your world up at a meet.... the extra blood pressure will make squats feel rough, the shirt would fit too tight, and deadlifting would be a nightmare.....

I like a little bloat, but I train that way. I eat fairly low sodium all week then on friday nights I up it a bit and eat out. When a meet comes I do exactly what I always do the night before a heavy day, no more and no less.

I tried bloating up for Senior nationals this year.... instead of cutting from 320 to 308, I went from 320 to 335....
my legs turned blue once I got my suit on, I could barely force depth on my opener and lost balance ( which I never do) on my 2nd and 3rd ( a few other lifters also had problems with that platform, but the extra 15lbs didn't help) I ended up having to force an opener bench to touch ( ended up destroying my wrist in the process) and couldn't even get in my deadlift suit so I ended up having to pull raw ( still got 650#!) IN all I totalled 140# lower than what I put up 4 months earlier and I felt crappy about it.....

lesson learned, compete how you train.

Yes! Uneducated or unintentional mistakes with sodium manipulation can and will totally screw you up the day of the meet.

kingns
10-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Ya that sounds pretty familiar. The bench and squat might b fine, but it would probly screw up my deadlift. Ill just do what I normally do. Thanks for the advice