PDA

View Full Version : Drop-in

thecityalive
10-11-2011, 04:56 PM
So I have befriended a few trainers of the CrossFit affiliate in my gym. I am wondering, how should I go about tackling the WOD/metcons?

One big thing I've been a fan of is "leave your ego at the door" when it comes to training, but should I lift more if I can?

More questions as they arise.

StLRPh
10-11-2011, 04:59 PM
check out:
http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewforum/16/

this will give you an idea of how to scale properly. If it's too light just go faster (depending on what you're doing of course)

thecityalive
10-11-2011, 06:10 PM
heh? Just gives me a random assortment of threads/ WOD posts.

StLRPh
10-11-2011, 06:21 PM
the threads are the names of the recent WODs. In each thread is a list of what they suggest to do to scale it down for someone who may need to do it in a way other than prescribed. The mainsite will have a list of the name WODs in the FAQ.

Monday - "Diane"

Big Dawg as Rxd

Women -155-185#

The Porch
15-12-9
225 pound Deadlift
Handstand push-ups or Barrier

Pack:
21-15-9
185 pound Deadlift
Barrier Handstand push-ups or bridged on feet

women 135#

Puppies:
15-12-9
95-135 pound Deadlift
Bridged Handstand push-ups on feet

women 55-65#

Buttercups:
PVC-45# pound Deadlift
Bridged Handstand push-ups on knees

StLRPh
10-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Start with Puppies or Pack and go from there

thecityalive
10-11-2011, 06:38 PM
15-12-9 deadlifts at 225? As someone who is used to volume at a load, I'm sure I'd be able to bump shit up.

StLRPh
10-11-2011, 07:07 PM
The whole thing should be finished in about 5 minutes. 10 minutes at the top end. Use whatever weight works for you to do it in that time frame

Patz
10-12-2011, 04:33 AM
The way I approach it is, if I can move the weight with good form and do it fast enough to get the desired pace, then I'll Rx it.

Some WODs I can Rx but it would take so long that I'm losing some of the benefit of it. That's when I step it down.

chris mason
10-13-2011, 07:01 PM
The way I approach it is, if I can move the weight with good form and do it fast enough to get the desired pace, then I'll Rx it.

Some WODs I can Rx but it would take so long that I'm losing some of the benefit of it. That's when I step it down.

I think that is a reasonable approach.

RFabsik
10-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Keep in mind these are metcons not Max Effort lifts. Some metcons will shock you with the weight. It looks easy on paper but when you blend it with one or two exercises and try to book through them, the huffing and puffing might slow you down. Metcons are trying to work the energy pathways that dominate between say 2-10 minutes (most of the time), whereas Max Effort work is hitting up to the 10second mark. So by nature of the beast, the weights should be vastly different.

With Fran, the first set of 225 always seems easy for me, but the fact that I try to go through it fast but with good form, the 2nd set slows me down. The guys who dominate Fran do all the deads and all the handstand pushups without stopping just 2-3 minutes of pain. If you can do it under 3 minutes, then feel free to scale the weight up. That would rock.

Being newer to the WOD's, I start out with lower weights or the given weights at most before scaling them up.

Enjoy.

Patz
10-14-2011, 05:23 AM
I think he means Diane instead of Fran, but I agree 100%. it can be a real shock when you're struggling to breathe as it is..lol

thecityalive
10-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Perhaps. I'll just Rx it.

mike mcgee
10-14-2011, 12:05 PM
All workouts are scaleable... This means up and down. I usually try to do all workouts RX and keep notes on how I performed, time, reps, rounds, etc... When I do that workout again, if I know I killed it, I can either increase weight or try to complete it faster. Mostly now though I do a stregth bias. I lift heavy on the barbell lifts and use the METCONs more or less as auxillary work. Only you can honestly say whether or not doing RX or increasing the load is right for you. I will say this though, many of the workouts are deceiving. The ones that look the easiest on the whiteboard are usually the hardest. Always try and do a WOD RX first before increasing any aspect of it.

thecityalive
10-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Finally got around to dropping in:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Phoenix6475/th_crossfit.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Phoenix6475/?action=view&current=crossfit.jpg)
http://crossfit-griffin.com/

Weight: 182.6

Endurance:
ROM Drills
Band work
1 Mile Run

Warm-Up: (3 Rounds)
10 Kb swings (light)
10 Goblet squats
10 Rollovers (AKA: Dislocates)
10 Walking Lunges
10 Sit Ups

Working Capacity - AMRAP - 20 Mins:
6 Pull ups
7 Push ups
8 Kb one-arm thrusters @ 35#
9 V-ups

Strength:
Front Squat 3x5 @ 135#

Durability:
Stretch

Honestly, I have no idea how many rounds I did. A lot? The hardest thing was just all V-ups. I have some really explosive pull ups and push ups. It didn't help that I did a near ME squat the day before (check my journal), so all the squatting was just annoying. This was a good opportunity to rehab my shoulder. No heavy loads on horizontal pressing, just body weight. Perfect. Fun fun.