PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had experience with Nose Tork?

K Y L E
10-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Last night, some guy who I'd never seen at my gym before came over and started talking to me about benching when I was about to get my last set in. He asked me what I was doing and what my max was, and told me I could easily get 215 if I just "trusted" him. So I figured, "what the hell why not." I loaded up the bar and set up for good form and he told me to tell him when I was ready. I said "I'm ready, lets do this" and he said "ok" and put a white bottle by my nose and said breathe deep. At this point, I'm thinking what the hell is he having me huff right before I bench. So I inadvertently sniffed it since it was right next to my nose and he said "alright, go, I'm not gonna help you." I unracked it, and I put up 215 without much trouble at all. I looked at the bottle and it said "nose tork." Does anyone know whats in there? As soon as I got a little hit of it I felt angry, light headed, and on top of the world at the same time.

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AMNTORK

jtteg_x
10-13-2011, 02:18 PM
its like ammonia poppers but in a bottle...http://www.houseofpain.com/product/lifting-aids-accessories/ammonia.html
its used for medical purposes but powerlifters (and other strength sports) use it prior to a lift to get psyched up. kind of like a slap in the face.

Butcher
10-13-2011, 05:10 PM
I remember the first time I smelled that stuff, along with the first I let a friend take a big wiff. Having someone sniff nose tork for the first time right before they attempt a heavy lift might make for a great story but I don't think its very intelligent.

Dank27
10-13-2011, 05:55 PM
My first experience was for lack of a better term PAINFUL. Keep that bottle like a foot from your face and take a big wif. Not right up to your nose.

I honestly thing it is stronger than ammonia caps

NITF
10-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Never heard of this... does it work? How effective is it?

barryisawinnah
10-13-2011, 06:39 PM
I love it, that said you need to build up a little tolerance at first. Maybe start with the crushable ammonia caps.

K Y L E
10-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Yeah, it was a pretty cool experience to be honest. I mean, I just ordered a bottle for myself and it very may well have helped me add a solid 10 pounds to my recent max bench press since my shoulder injury. It was really harsh on my nose and lungs though. I would recommend it, mostly because I want to see how it effects other people.

chris mason
10-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Things like that should NOT be used regularly in one's training. In fact, getting overly psyched regularly in training is counterproductive as it leads to overtraining.

JohnnyUnreliabe
10-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Things like that should NOT be used regularly in one's training. In fact, getting overly psyched regularly in training is counterproductive as it leads to overtraining.

I definitely agree. I have a training partner who uses it religiously on his heavy training sets and he seems to get nothing out of it when meet time rolls around.

Personally I try to avoid caffeine and nose tork/ammonia in my everyday training so when meet time comes around I'm not accustomed to the effects.

K Y L E
10-14-2011, 01:40 AM

I totally understand what you mean. I just wanted to know what that guy had me huffing right before I geared up for a bench record, and why it worked. We'll see if it still helps me next Saturday (my first powerlifting meet) :)

mastermonster
10-14-2011, 11:46 AM
I agree with Chris. Ammonia will give a sudden rush of adrenaline and that's how it works. But along with the rush come some consequences. We use household ammonia. The Tork is handier though. If you use it all the time you will stress and maybe fatigue the endocrine system from so much adrenaline production and the subsequent crash from it. I'd only use it in the gym a few times to get used to how well your sinuses tolerates it and how close and how big a whiff you can take. To much will d**n near put you out. You'll get a much bigger 'kick' from it at the meet when it counts that way.

Travis Bell
10-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah I've seen a few guys snort too much and pass out when they took the weight out

Mark!
10-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Yeah I've seen a few guys snort too much and pass out when they took the weight out

That wouldn't be cool at all. I've been interested in it, but never used it for one reason or another, maybe in the future though. Nice to see some warnings here though, I would have been one of those just snort and lift guys.

Thuggish
10-14-2011, 06:45 PM
If someone put something up to my nose to huff and I didn't even KNOW him, I'd be tempted to shoot him.

JK1
10-15-2011, 08:37 AM

Yup I agree. Ammonia/nose torque should only be used during a meet and only rarely during a meet.

That said, I do keep a bottle of nose torque in my truck. If I'm driving and falling a sleep to the point caffiene won't pick me up, a hit of nose torque does more than you could ever imagine to wake me up and keep me between the yellow lines.

Ermantroudt
10-15-2011, 12:27 PM
We use a jug of industrial ammonia.

chris mason
10-15-2011, 05:03 PM
You know something else, I simply am too jacked up before any kind of competition from nerves. If I snorted that stuff I would probably have a heart attack... :)

ScottYard
10-16-2011, 07:49 AM
My first meet i saw a guy put two caps up his nose and squeeze his nose to crack them. He then missed awfully. IT wasfunny. Ill echo everyone else and agree to use it for meets only. Use it too much and it doesnt have any effect when you need it to.