PDA

View Full Version : Should I go for it?

K Y L E
10-14-2011, 02:05 AM
I've been doing a squat specialized program that has me squatting 3x a week. When I started the program I could barely put up 175 with piss-poor form. Now the 3rd week in, on the last workout of the program before I re-test my max, I'm supposed to go 5x3 and I planned on doing 190. The last workout I did 5x3 with 185 with (at least what seemed like) perfect form. As of right now, I'm feeling a good amount of pain in my left knee. I've always tried to lift with good form since I plan on lifting for the greater part of the rest of my life, and I don't want to do any damage to my joints short or long term. Should I go for it or say screw the program and take an extra day or two to rest and hit the 5x3 again. I'm extremely motivated to do it, but I don't want to make the problem worse. Anyone want to give me their professional opinion?

mastermonster
10-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah; if you're not using knee wraps now use a light to moderately tight wrap job and see if it alleviates the pain. If so, stay with the wraps 2-3 weeks and then wrap gradually looser for the next 2 - 3 weeks until you've 'weaned' off of them if you lift in a raw fed that doesn't allow them in meets. The wraps can be a great healing aid when used like this so as to not keep aggrevating whatever is stressed and letting it heal as you still train. A little ibupropen during this time will also help relieve any inflamation as well as icing the knee. Good luck.

theBarzeen
10-14-2011, 04:41 PM
it could be that form is falling apart and you can't see it ( this is where a good team comes in handy)

Or you could just be beat up from all of the squatting.

video a few squats, even if only for yourself to watch..... and back off of the volume work...... programs are great starting points but won't fir 100% of people 100% of the time.

Mark!
10-14-2011, 05:58 PM
Recording your set is definitely going to help. Like Barzeen said, even if you just watch it for comparative analysis, it's a great thing to use in your training to see exactly what's going on. I thought form was good until I started filming more sets, it's an eye opener sometimes.