PDA

View Full Version : Looking for critique -DEADLIFT (Video inside)

thecityalive
10-14-2011, 11:49 AM
VChMKGs_i-0

JSully touched a bit on it on my thread down in the video/pics section, but I'm looking for tips.

I noticed I need to keep my head up at the start of the ascent and my ass shoots up as a result of that.

Can anyone Rx my deadlift? (Things I'm doing wrong/right - areas I need to improve strength wise - etc)

theBarzeen
10-14-2011, 04:38 PM
form looks pretty close to where I'd be happy with it.... but what's with all of the cardio? Form shouldn't fall apart with something you can do 6 times+... post a top end set and it might show what needs work. If you hit all those reps with 405, you should be able to hit more than the 424 your signature says is your PR..... my advise? pull more singles and when you do reps, do them from a full stop at the floor.

thecityalive
10-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks. I am in a serious mode of revising my current deadlift structure (or entire training structure for that matter).

RFabsik
10-14-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm looking at the thread more to learn. Overall looked pretty good from my experience. On a few of the reps, it looks like your kneess bow in a little. Keeping them pushed out might help keep the hips involved.

headache
10-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Your form on the first rep looks fine hips low driving through your heels, when you start bouncing it all goes downhill you drop your head on a few of them and you basically take your legs out of the lift. Bouncing gives you alot of momentum and essentially takes weight off the lift. I know alot of big dudes bounce but they got the pr's to back it up, stop at every rep it makes a world of difference when trying to build a strong deadlift and like they said above stick to singles if your gonna do reps make them deficit pulls or rack pulls thats what ive been doing and ive tacked up 70lbs to my pull in the last 6 weeks. If you want shoot me a pm and ill send you what ive been doing for my pulls thats been showing good results. But otherwise like i said that first rep looks great very strong

NickAus
10-15-2011, 02:14 AM
I like the high hips style of pulling so nothing wrong there IMO.

I would have your hands closer together no question, just give it a couple weeks and if its no good go back to the wide hand space.

I am a 220 and I have one finger on the smooth to give you an idea.

basbolstar
10-15-2011, 03:46 PM
agree with Nick.

Looks good though.

chris mason
10-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Your left knee buckles in on nearly every rep. That is due to an imbalance, but you can at least begin to address it by focusing on not letting it happen. Like the others said, when you get to bouncing after the the 1st rep you are basically doing a stiff-legged partial. Reset on every rep.

Finally, was that all one session? If so, WAAAYYYYY too much volume.

thecityalive
10-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks Chris. Noticed that too after analyzing the video. Could that be a hip imbalance?

And yes. That is all one session. I'm gonna revert to singles for deadlift now. I feel my 1RM could be so much higher if I didn't do what I'm currently doing. HOWEVER, this is structured from an article on WBB. Regardless, I (and others) agree that it's too much volume, I've just been following suit/ being stubborn/unsure of how to change it until recently.

joey54
10-15-2011, 05:43 PM
What is the point of starting with your hips so low when the first movement is the hips raising?

RFabsik
10-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Just curious as to which WBB article you read. Because all those sets, with those number of reps and high percentage doesn't seem to be like a dynamic day or a max effort day. Too many reps and at times too heavy for a dynamic day. Too many sets and too many reps for a max effot day.

NickAus
10-15-2011, 09:55 PM
As he said he is going to switch things up now, he has been making good progress so far and that is what it's all about.

JSully
10-17-2011, 10:57 AM
What is the point of starting with your hips so low when the first movement is the hips raising?

this was my point. If you're going to start with your hips low, keep that chest up and shoulders back, lock the lats, take tension off the bar and pull backwards.

if you're going to allow your hips to shoot up, then I think starting that low is a waste of energy, not to mention, the jerk on the bar can really stress the hams.

lots of people deadlift with high hips, lots of people deadlift with low hips. it's what works for you, so long as your back stays straight. I think it all depends on your body type, long arms vs short arms, long legs vs short legs, etc. Something you'll have to play with.

however, my advice would be to perfect technique first before trying different things. I think he should figure out how to keep his hips low and work on weakensses there. Then once he's pulling more comfortably, switching things around slightly to see what may work with his body type.

greemah
10-17-2011, 04:38 PM
So is it normal for people to max out on deads once a week? I always thought it was best to work up to a top set or two

I've always done singles for warmups and worked up to a top 1x5 set

JSully
10-17-2011, 09:53 PM
So is it normal for people to max out on deads once a week? I always thought it was best to work up to a top set or two

I've always done singles for warmups and worked up to a top 1x5 set
depends on your training program.. I've got some of my best progress by working up to a heavy single, double or triple once a week.

thecityalive
10-17-2011, 10:06 PM
So far, the singles are working for me. I no longer have to worry about going though a deadlift marathon any more. More emphasis is on form and power than the endurance/grip race. more of my comments in my journal from today.