PDA

View Full Version : Get big without protein

Hartzell84
10-15-2011, 12:17 AM
If you need protein to grow muscles then how are gorillas so big??? 95 percent of their diet is veggies

Mark!
10-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Genetics, evolution, myostatin

Alex.V
10-15-2011, 06:45 AM
If you need protein to grow muscles then how are gorillas so big??? 95 percent of their diet is veggies

...because plants contain protein. They eat a lot of plants, and are fairly sedentary.

Next question.

J.C.
10-15-2011, 07:53 AM
...because plants contain protein. They eat a lot of plants, and are fairly sedentary.

Next question.

OK, riddle me this: How much protein do plants contain, and how much do they eat?

Surely they're muscular because they're highly genetically predisposed to muscle mass, not because they're eating so much vegetation that they're getting 1.5g/lb or some such thing. Because that's what it looks like you're arguing.

Off Road
10-15-2011, 08:28 AM
If we eat from the tops of the trees, will we grow taller like a girraffe?

Alex.V
10-15-2011, 12:25 PM
OK, riddle me this: How much protein do plants contain, and how much do they eat?

Surely they're muscular because they're highly genetically predisposed to muscle mass, not because they're eating so much vegetation that they're getting 1.5g/lb or some such thing. Because that's what it looks like you're arguing.

I'm in no way arguing 1.5g/lb, which would be unnecessarily high for a human as well. I eat around 0.75-1 g/lb of bodyweight, assuming our gorilla friends can get by with a bit less per pound (given their natural predisposition to size, one would assume their bodies are geared towards carrying greater muscle mass), then at 350 pounds an adult male gorilla would only need 200-250 grams a day of protein.

Gorillas eat fairly constantly, and do not JUST eat leafy greens. They eat grubs, roots, bark, etc... and in captivity, they eat around 40-50 pounds of food a day.

Would 40-50 pounds of plants, roots, grubs, fruit, and termites contain 200-250 grams of protein? I'd certainly think so. Spinach is about 40% protein, by nutritive weight. Even a pound of lettuce, one of the most nutritionally bankrupt of leafy greens, has 5-7 grams of protein.

40 pounds of lettuce alone, assuming the lower end of that protein estimate, is 200 grams, which is about what we figured they'd need on the lower end.

ThomasG
10-15-2011, 12:32 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9q00KQnPSqPdLjwYITNycroEj4OchKTHhN60n8luCdYIm7FE-s7imcgziOw

JacobH
10-15-2011, 03:55 PM
This sounds like the start of a great new fad diet...The Gorilla Diet! Get huge and ripped eating nothing but 40lbs of letuce a day.

thecityalive
10-15-2011, 05:48 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9q00KQnPSqPdLjwYITNycroEj4OchKTHhN60n8luCdYIm7FE-s7imcgziOw

After reading Belial's post and seeing this...I LOL'D

This sounds like the start of a great new fad diet...The Gorilla Diet! Get huge and ripped eating nothing but 40lbs of letuce a day.
Can we add the Cayenne pepper diet in there, too?

yayeti
10-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey Belial you seem to have quite a bit of scientific knowledge regarding diet related to bodybuilding. Based on this background what type of diet mentality have you adopted and what does your diet look like?

Hartzell84
10-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Average size of a male gorilla is about 400lbs, no way he's getting that much protein through plants, if so then it's not a good source

Mark!
10-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Average size of a male gorilla is about 400lbs, no way he's getting that much protein through plants, if so then it's not a good source

Seriously...
CLICK ME...do it (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gorilla+muscle+mass)

Cards
10-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Next question.

Today I learned...

If we eat from the tops of the trees, will we grow taller like a girraffe?

OR, I think you need to get out of the house more often :tuttut:

J.C.
10-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Huh, you're right. 18kg of food a day... human body-builders need to up their game.

Alex.V
10-17-2011, 09:48 PM
It'd be really fun... for a day or two.

JacobH
10-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Hey Belial you seem to have quite a bit of scientific knowledge regarding diet related to bodybuilding. Based on this background what type of diet mentality have you adopted and what does your diet look like?

Looking through his journal it looks like a strong emphasis on beer and donuts. :)

cphafner
10-22-2011, 07:13 PM

I believe bears eat mostly berries (and rumored to take down a baby elk or two a season). They eat tons of them, but mostly berries. They look pretty big.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/naturescience/grizzlybear.htm

Behemoth
10-22-2011, 07:54 PM

The only thing his diet is deficient in is the hardcore bro feeling that morons get when they eat nothing but boiled chicken breast and brown rice.

Alex.V
10-28-2011, 06:16 AM
I have a serious lack of that, man. I can't talk about my diet to people in the gym because it's definitely, definitely NOT badass or cool. I lie about it all the time... takes some quick thinking, making up "x cups of this, x grams of that" whenever asked.

Jacob's got it.... I eat whatever I think I need on a given day. And leave some room for what I want. Day to day needs vary in the hundreds or thousands of calories, macronutrient needs vary similarly... and the body is remarkably good at adjusting up or down on a daily basis as needed.

No point in getting too precise- that'd be like putting a spoiler on a dump truck... not gonna make a shit of difference.

J.C.
10-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Every time Belial posts, a new bodybuilder cries. Cries into a waxy-maize, hydrolysed-whey and nitric oxide shake.

dynamo
10-28-2011, 02:31 PM
i'm a rather intuitive eater as well. I stay away from starchy carbs mostly bc they make me feel like a bloated piece of shit. But I do eat whatever I want when I want, and however much of it I want.

I understand fast food will not fill me up. I went to taco bell with my boss yesterday, got the meal #3 two tacos and the taco pizza. I could've eaten 10 of those and maybe been full, but I only had 1 because I know its shit food.

Now with my increased cardio I have upped my starchy carb intake, I had a whole bag of doritos today. I mildly keep track of my protein and fats during the day, mostly as a biofeedback mechanism. If I feel like shit and I can't remember the last time I had a small animal boiled in canola oil then I realize its because I haven't eaten all day.

Overall, I listen to my body, if it craves fat I give it fat, hell sometimes I just drink canola oil because I just want fat and nothing else, other times I'll eat cheese. If it wants protein, and man does it ever want protein, then I give it that too, usually in the form of a wopslop meal in the crock pot since thats easiest for me to make on a sunday and eat all week.

I don't normally crave carbs, but I have been craving them after my cardio sessions so I will get some, and knowing that insulin is anabolic as FCCCCK I will supplement my carbs (pizza, cereal, candy bar, waffles) with a protein shake at the same time.

Also spinach.

Behemoth
10-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Overall, I listen to my body......................hell sometimes I just drink canola oil because I just want fat and nothing else

Also spinach.

Your body needs lithium.

yayeti
10-28-2011, 03:57 PM
lol I dont think I have that intuitiveness (?) that you're talking about. If I ate what I wanted I would probably eat oreos all day long.

BULK_BOY
11-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Every time Belial posts, a new bodybuilder cries. Cries into a waxy-maize, hydrolysed-whey and nitric oxide shake.

LOL!!