PDA

View Full Version : Best Knee and Wrist Wraps For Raw Lifters?

Murderous
10-16-2011, 01:56 AM
Hello.

Does anyone know which wrist and knee wraps work best for raw lifters? Inzer has too many kinds and I don't know if which brand's is better as they all have the same description. Thanks.

NickAus
10-16-2011, 02:14 AM
APT kick ass!

jtteg_x
10-16-2011, 03:20 AM
I use Titan Titanium knee wraps (http://www.liftinglarge.com/newandimprovedtitaniumkneewraps.aspx) and EliteFTS normal wrist wraps (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=300&pid=3017) for raw lifting. They are more on comfort side but works very well enough for my raw 400lb squat/330lb bench. I've use much tighter wraps (EFS super heavy and Titan THP) and they are more for advanced raw or equipped lifting IMO.
Metal all blacks is another great wrap but more on the pricey side

ScottYard
10-16-2011, 07:42 AM
What ever you buy be sure to get two pairs each time. A meet only pair and a gym pair. Wraps wear out and you dont need them doing that on meet day.

Dank27
10-16-2011, 12:37 PM
I used Inzer z wraps forever. After trying out the Rhino wrist wraps I went ahead and got a pair of their knee wraps. They are great and still very comfortable. I am also waiting on pair of the new Overkill wraps that Barzeen uses. I hear a lot of good things about them

mastermonster
10-16-2011, 01:18 PM
I've used Inzer Z wraps and tried a couple of the APT wraps. They are good wraps but no comparison to Titan THPs for me at least. You can look this up for proof if you wish on the APF meet results but I get 100 lbs. raw difference with THP vs. no wraps. At the APF Georgia 2009 in the Classic division (raw with knee wraps) I squatted 650 and gave 705 a pretty good shot (got out of the hole good but stalled about 1/2 way up). 1 year later at the APF La./Ms. Championships I squatted 551 for a 3rd. I squatted it on the second attempt but got reds for depth and did it again and got it. It was a little harder than the 650 a year earlier so maybe even a bit more than 100 lbs.; but at least 100. Nothing I've tried compares to them. I agree with Scott on getting 2 pair. I used my meet set for 1 squat session then put them in my meet bag. After the meet they then become my training wraps and I order new ones for the next meet. My old training wraps are given to one of my teen lifters that are earlier in their wrap experience and can use a pair that's already a bit 'relaxed' to get used to. Saves them a little money for meets too. Then they only have to buy a new pair for meets.

Murderous
10-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. Just a question @ mastermonster, do you mean the wrist wrap or knee wrap version of the THP, or both? BTW how much do you guys think I could get out of knee and wrist wraps if I tie them tightly, having a 220+ raw bench and I am currently recovering my knee so I can't squat or dl right now but my best raw squat was 265 for triples and a 325 deadlift for doubles. I'm 15 so I'm really new to this and I want to compete in raw for starters.

Mark!
10-16-2011, 05:13 PM
If you're squatting with knee wraps, in most federations, you're no longer considered raw. I've never tied my knee wraps that tight, so I have no idea how much extra you're gonna get, some people have reported anywhere from 20 to 50+ pounds. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with training with knee wraps, especially if your federation says it's ok for raw lifters. I train with knee wraps and sleeves from time to time and compete raw, no wraps. I don't think wrist wraps are going to give you any extra on the bench, just going to prevent injury.

Rob Luyando
10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Rhino Power Gear wraps are top notch, reasonably priced and the customer service is 2nd to none. www.rhinopowergear.com

Murderous
10-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Rhino Power Gear wraps are top notch, reasonably priced and the customer service is 2nd to none. www.rhinopowergear.comWanted to go with this one but the first meet I am looking forward to is USAPL so it follows IPF rules, and I don't see rhino wraps on the list. Might start off with a pair of inzers or titans, probably the basic Z wraps everyone uses just to get a feel of it and the basic inzer singlet. Anyways planning on benching only since I am planning on doing two more weeks of hip and knee rehab until I start off with light weights again.

Fuzzy
10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I compete in 2 feds, one is no knee coverage for raw, the other is ProRaw which is raw + wraps.

I only have experience with metal wraps, but I loved the black metal wraps, the silver ones are also incredibly stiff, almost as brutal as APT but not quite as fucked up.

Mark!
10-17-2011, 01:30 AM
I just bought some Rhino wraps, they ship out today, excited to get them. I've used Inzers before but they got really soft and were never as stiff as I thought they should be. Even the knee wraps are the same.

SEOINAGE
10-17-2011, 10:00 AM
I've used Inzer Z wraps and tried a couple of the APT wraps. They are good wraps but no comparison to Titan THPs for me at least. You can look this up for proof if you wish on the APF meet results but I get 100 lbs. raw difference with THP vs. no wraps. At the APF Georgia 2009 in the Classic division (raw with knee wraps) I squatted 650 and gave 705 a pretty good shot (got out of the hole good but stalled about 1/2 way up). 1 year later at the APF La./Ms. Championships I squatted 551 for a 3rd. I squatted it on the second attempt but got reds for depth and did it again and got it. It was a little harder than the 650 a year earlier so maybe even a bit more than 100 lbs.; but at least 100. Nothing I've tried compares to them. I agree with Scott on getting 2 pair. I used my meet set for 1 squat session then put them in my meet bag. After the meet they then become my training wraps and I order new ones for the next meet. My old training wraps are given to one of my teen lifters that are earlier in their wrap experience and can use a pair that's already a bit 'relaxed' to get used to. Saves them a little money for meets too. Then they only have to buy a new pair for meets.

Curious what wrapping style you use to get that 100 lbs. I have seen videos of various types, but the only one I was able to use without thinking I was going to fall over is just the standard wrapping and working your way up with each wrap.

mastermonster
10-17-2011, 10:31 AM
I use both THP knee and wrist wraps. The brace from the wrist wraps will let you control more weight but there is no rebound type help on bench with any wrap.

My wrap style I learned from Garry Frank's guys at Hardcore Barbell. One wrap below the knee then progess up to just above the knee (this is to pin down the patella and patella tendon). Then back down to the mid knee and pile the remainder up around the mid knee. You want as much piled up behind the knee as possible. This amount of wrap behind the knee gives you a lot of 'stop' at the bottom and still gives good rebound out of the hole.

Murderous
10-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Do you guys think you get any safety benefit from using wraps? The thing I think I messed up in my knee was my patellar ligament (patella tendon)

Will wrapping my knee up while going around a few times around this ligament make it safer to squat?

Mark!
10-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Do you guys think you get any safety benefit from using wraps? The thing I think I messed up in my knee was my patellar ligament (patella tendon)

Will wrapping my knee up while going around a few times around this ligament make it safer to squat?

For most people, wrapping the knees is primarily for the safety aspect, not just for added carryover. Even if doing my regular raw squat workout, my knees always feel fresher and like they can go longer without any discomfort when I either wrap them, or use my knee sleeves.

Dank27
10-19-2011, 04:57 AM
I was too in search of a good knee and wrist wraps for raw lifters and came across with the various answers, feel like forum is a best place to find information about anything.

I have found the best and only real way to gauge different wraps and how you like them is simply to use them personally. Recommendations from people are great but not always right for you.

Good Luck

mastermonster
10-19-2011, 09:35 PM

Yes. It will pin down the patella and the patella tendon and keep it as stable as possible.

thecityalive
10-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Anyone got some 411 on the Elite FTS super heavy knee sleeves?

Dank27
10-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Anyone got some 411 on the Elite FTS super heavy knee sleeves?

I have a set. They are really thick and work very well. I personally like wraps for support due to the adjustability and Neoprene (rehband) for injury prevention. They are cheap enough to give them a go though

Rugby Dad
10-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Best Knee and Wrist Wraps For Raw Lifters?

how about none? after all this is raw lifting isn't it?

thecityalive
10-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Some feds allow it for safety.