PDA

View Full Version : Bombed in My First Multiply Meet...It Wasn't all Bad Though...

ChadDresden
10-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Well, had my first multiply meet (3rd meet overall both were raw) on Saturday (SPF Northwest Iron Wars) and bombed on the bench. I'll get to that later, but to start out, I went into the meet feeling great. About 10 days out from the meet I nailed my 755 squat and 615 bench openers and my bodyweight was at 262. Well I had remembered reading somewhere that some people usually try to bloat up a little bit before the meet and I learned the hard way that I was way too inexperienced to attempt this. I went into the meet at 274, so I gained about 12lbs in less then 2 weeks. I had the goal of getting a 2100+ total, which I know I had the strength for, but I am nowhere near a technician. I had only touched in my Overkill 1 time prior to the meet and the extra weight gain definitely threw my balance off but I'm not making excuses, I just didn't perform. Anyways, warm ups felt great and everything was moving fast and felt light. On the first squat my left knee buckled and I still muscled the weight up but I beat the up call and missed depth. Second squat attempt I took my opener again and got it easily. It felt a lot easier then it looked on video haha. I jumped from 755 to 804 because I had the goal of squatting over 800lbs. It would have been more wise to just do the best I could do THAT day and go around 785ish because at this point being my first meet, anything I do is a PR and something to build from. Well, I missed the 804 and the judges and some other lifters told me my back didn't seem arched hard enough and it looked like my feet were a little too wide for comfort not allowing me to push my knees out as hard as I want. So, I have some things to take away from the attempt at least. Benching (which has been my money lift raw) was a complete shit show for me. I dumped my 622 opener and damn did my shirt feel tight. I touched my 633 second, it was still shaky but felt easy and sailed it back on the way up. Not taking any lessons from my squat attempts, instead of going 633 again and nailing it, I opted for 655 because again, I wanted to bench over 650. I got completely destroyed by it to say the least. Even though I bombed I opted to deadlift. I figured if anything I at least know where I am at in my pull going through a full meet. My 584 opener was easy as it should've been, and my 611 second was even easier. Everyone was telling me to go 650 but after making two bad calls for myself I played conservative and went 639 and got it pretty easily. The lockout was slow but felt easy and I'm pretty confident I could've gotten 650. My best meet deadlift was 560 so that was a 79 meet PR and my best pull in the gym was 635 so it was a 4lb overall PR.

I've been in the gear for about 5 months now, but pretty inconsistently. I can only get up to the gym where my partners train at on Saturdays, so I usually switch between benching in gear and squatting in gear every other week. I train by myself 90% of the time and I am 100% self taught through articles and videos from Elitefts and Westside Barbell and I do all my own programming. That is why I wanted to come to you guys with my meet video so I can maybe get some pointers on technique and some things to work on from some of the experienced competitors on this site. In a month or so, I'll be getting out of the Army and I'll be able to train at Detroit Barbell full time, so at least then I can lift with experienced people full time who can show me the right way. I greatly appreciate any and all input from all you guys on here. Thank you!

Meet Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNUaDaxE6mE

Dank27
10-17-2011, 05:07 AM
Your deadlift looked great. I like that center bar pull to get urself set. Even your other lifts looked alright but you just seemed loose. Your bench set up did not seem like you were comfortable (probably the weight gain). Overall I think you had a good showing for your first meet and you have a lot to take away.

I am in the same boat w/ training alone a majority of the time so keep it up and you will improve. I know a lot of the time my nerves get shot at a meet and I am their physically but not always mentally which is usually worse.

I am sure some of the vets will chime in with a better analysis.

ChadDresden
10-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Your deadlift looked great. I like that center bar pull to get urself set. Even your other lifts looked alright but you just seemed loose. Your bench set up did not seem like you were comfortable (probably the weight gain). Overall I think you had a good showing for your first meet and you have a lot to take away.

I am in the same boat w/ training alone a majority of the time so keep it up and you will improve. I know a lot of the time my nerves get shot at a meet and I am their physically but not always mentally which is usually worse.

I am sure some of the vets will chime in with a better analysis.

Thank you for the reply. I got the center bar pull to set up my deadlift from an Elitefts video Brian Carroll did on teaching the deadlift. I used ever since and it stuck with me. You are absolutely right though, I felt off on the bench from the start. I forgot to mention my last warm up on the bench was 585 to a 1 board. I touched and it flew up, so I don't understand how 40lbs more on my opener just another inch just didn't want to touch. It was most likely my lack of experience and only ever touching one time. As soon as I spread my arms out to grab the bar I knew the shirt was a lot tighter but I thought I should've been able to fight it. Oh well, definitely a lesson learned. I was definitely jittery going into the squats but it all seemed to fade as I got through the meet. Everything seemed so fast when I got ready to take my attempts. Usually I have a mental checklist I go through and I seemed to be distracted to check everything off mentally for my squat and bench. Thanks again though for the reply!

theBarzeen
10-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Everyone gets nervous like that... you learn from it and you'll keep improving. Good first showing anyways.

Obviously, everyone has different ideas on what form works best, but the few points I noticed other than the obvious of being loose:

On squat: you seem off balance on the unrack. When you get your back set, swing your hips under the bar before you stand up with it. When you pick up the bar you never quite lock your hips out at the top and you seem to be fighting it the whole way. After that push your knees out hard and slow it down a little. You are too loose to go that fast. Push your butt back in to the suit harder in the bottom as well, the suit will give you more pop.

On bench: tuck your shoulders back harder, you have a good arch but you are set up on your scapulae instead of your traps. Once you are set don't roll forward to look at your belly, it's flattening you out. Keep your belly up and don't be afraid to fight that shirt. The two that you dumped downward it looked like you just panicked when the shirt tightened up and over tucked/tried to touch too low instead of just pulling it in harder. Same with the one that came back on you. You touched too low then couldn't get your elbows under the bar in time to press it... if this happens and you don't dump it down just try pressing it slower.

Good luck!

ScottYard
10-17-2011, 03:16 PM
I bombed my first 2 meets. Then i dropped my openers and realized gym weights are irrelevant and to open light. Like 100 lbs less than my gym prs. Get back out there and dont let numbers guide you. Just get some lifts in to get your feet wet then try to get prs on your second meet.

ChadDresden
10-20-2011, 10:59 PM
@ Barzeen...

Thanks for the input. I do notice in training that when I have a really strong unrack, I tend do have a more solid lift all the way through. I know that this isn't a mistake, I will just have to practice it. I definitely know what you mean. I am not very good at working the gear and making it do what I want it to yet but I will implement the things you pointed out. As far as bench goes, I will have to actually get on the bench and play with my back positioning to see how I can tighten up more on my traps. A few people at the meet said it looked like my shirt didn't fit me the way they thought it should so like I told you in a PM not that long ago I will make a stop at the Power Pit next month in Mid November when I am driving across country back to Detroit and see what Rudy thinks. Thanks for the tips!

Yea Scott, I definitely did go into this meet blinded by the numbers. That combined with me not being able to work gear very well and being able to hit depth or touch with lighter weights got the best of me. I'm anxious to get back to training this weekend so I can take a better crack at the next one.

SELK
10-22-2011, 08:28 PM
It looks to me that you are a stronger squatter then you think and with some technique work you are going to be closer to 900 then 800. Just need to learn how to sit back and really work with the gear, its hard to explain but it looks like you are trying to outmuscle the squat gear and are fighting against it on the decent. I think getting in more reps in gear would help you quite a bit, real pain in the ass to do while training by yourself though.

looking strong though, every meet you learn a few new things.