PDA

View Full Version : How quick do you eat a meal after the gym?

Jeepmiller09
10-17-2011, 03:37 PM
They title says it all. As soon as I get done I take my Results and my Nitrean. Then about 2-3 hours later I eat dinner with my wife. To long, to short, or just right?

tommygunz90
10-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Ii usually do my nitrean+ right after gym and ill either shower and eat or eat then shower. No pro either just how it happens. I also workout at 7pm so 830 is a little late for dinner time but I work 9-630 so my schedule is messed up as is.

thecityalive
10-17-2011, 04:36 PM
As long as it's within an hour of my workout, I take as long as I need. Opticen is usually immediate, but food (plus prep) follows.

greemah
10-17-2011, 04:41 PM
I have 60% of my daily food intake within 45 minutes post workout. Then I don't eat for 16 hours.. but I'm doing the leangains.com diet so probably not the norm

thecityalive
10-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Intermittent fasting?

Alex.V
10-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Whenever. I usually have a beer shortly afterwards, full meal about an hour or two later, whenever I'm done cooking.

krazylarry
10-17-2011, 11:03 PM
I have a shake during my workout, mostly in the beginning during my main exercise. Than I try to eat a soon as possible, usually under an hour.

bald bull
10-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Protein shake w/ water and creatine right after bf my cardio, then go home shower and eat so like 1-1.5 hrs for a sit downmeal after gym.

Mark!
10-18-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm the worlds worst about after workout nutrition. Probably because I work out, soak in a tub, then go to sleep usually. Next year hopefully my schedule will be working during days instead of deep nights so my workouts won't have to be so crazy. If anything, I down a protein shake after a workout.

Cards
10-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Whenever. I usually have a beer shortly afterwards, full meal about an hour or two later, whenever I'm done cooking.

You, Sir, have some of the best comments and advice.

I do this too, beer included some of the time.

J.C.
10-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm ravenous after training so I eat as soon as possible and don't bother with a shake. Fortunately I only live a 5min walk from the gym so I can usually eat a full meal within 30 minutes of finishing. I'll normally drink a pint or two of milk while I'm cooking.

Holto
10-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Shake with P&C and then a meal within 1.5 hrs.

Hwyman
10-19-2011, 02:58 PM
They title says it all. As soon as I get done I take my Results and my Nitrean. Then about 2-3 hours later I eat dinner with my wife. To long, to short, or just right?

Sounds about right. I try to take in fast acting carbs and protein (currently using Opticen otherwise whey and maltodextrin) within 30-60 mins of working out followed by real food within an hour or two after that.

greemah
10-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Intermittent fasting?

Yep, I've found it the best diet for me for keeping fat off while bulking and an easy way to feel good when on restricted calories

Behemoth
10-19-2011, 05:08 PM
At some point after my workout.

Heracles
11-13-2011, 06:42 PM

A true scholar and gentleman. Some day I'll do this. Granted I work out at 6am.

On a serious note though, I cram the food down in a good ten minutes. Usually 1 cup dry oats, 16oz milk w/ 1 cup condensed milk, and two eggs.

tom183
11-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Anywhere from immediately after to 9-10 hours after if I train late at night.

Songsangnim
11-13-2011, 11:54 PM
1-2 hours after training.

Mr Shadow
11-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Op, you're overthinking this. As long as you eating food, you're fine. Your time and energy is best spent elsewhere...

dynamo
11-14-2011, 12:31 PM
upwards to 8 hours later, depends on my workout, and therefore my hunger, and depends on the food i have on hand. My PWO meal the other day was veggie sticks, those multicolored baked potato sticks, and then after my brisket was done about 3 hours later, I ate a bowl, probably upwards to a pound of meat.

fwiw, I keep my macros in check more on a weekly basis, than a daily. some days I'm just not hungry or my body is only screaming for carbs. Other days I scream for protein, and I'll eat 2 chicken breasts and wash it down with a glass of milk in one meal.

Songsangnim
11-14-2011, 06:34 PM
20-60 minutes after your workout is the time when you should eat something, as it is when your muscles soak up nutrients most effectively. Protein is crucial in providing the amino acids that are needed for muscle rebuilding and recovery. Protein also can increase the absorption of water from the intestines to improve muscle hydration. Studies have shown that eating protein with carbohydrates makes the protein more effective.

Unless you are a competitive lifter of some kind it really isn't going to matter that much.

Mr Shadow
11-15-2011, 06:55 AM
20-60 minutes after your workout is the time when you should eat something, as it is when your muscles soak up nutrients most effectively. Protein is crucial in providing the amino acids that are needed for muscle rebuilding and recovery. Protein also can increase the absorption of water from the intestines to improve muscle hydration. Studies have shown that eating protein with carbohydrates makes the protein more effective.

Lolwut? 20-60 minutes after your workout is not the "most effective" time for a PWO meal. Protein synthesis is heightened after your workout for 72 hours, and peaks around 24-48 hours. Your most "effective" time to eat isn't even on your workout day (not me recommending fasting PWO). Regardless, none of this is really meaningful to any great extent. This is one of those moments where you need to stop over thinking it, eat normal and just ensure you're getting adequate protein.

Also carbohydrates PWO isn't all that big of a deal. Carbs don't directly make protein "more effective". The reason ingesting carbs PWO is such a highly recommended thing is because it helps to blunt catabolic processes that are stimulated by exercise. Weightlifting stimulates both processes - muscle protein breakdown (MPB) and muscle protein synthesis (MPS). Contrary to common belief, MPB is actually needed for muscle growth - lack of understanding this is what gets every bodybuilder's panties in a twist when the words "catabolic" or "catabolism" is mentioned. The only thing that matters is that you remain with a higher net MPS over MPB.

Let's review.... Work out = MPS and MPB, with MPB being higher. Eating protein at all, stimulates MPS. Eating protein PWO increases MPS above MPB. Eating carbs would help blunt MPB, thus increasing the balance of MPS over MPB further. <--- Is it beneficial...? Eh, sure. Will it lead to any meaningful results over just protein? Not really. Does it hurt results? Nope.

Protien or carbs+protein doesn't really matter. Just stick to the basics and make sure you eat PWO.

Unless you are a competitive lifter of some kind it really isn't going to matter that much.

It doesn't hold any significant value to any type of lifter. We're all in this for one ultimate goal - and that is to better ourselves. When it comes to ingesting protein PWO to help us improve (in all areas), it all matters to us equally.

Behemoth
11-15-2011, 10:34 AM
It doesn't hold any significant value to any type of lifter. We're all in this for one ultimate goal - and that is to better ourselves. When it comes to ingesting protein PWO to help us improve (in all areas), it all matters to us equally.

While this is a nuance of an issue for most, you can't negate it as completely pointless for any and all to consider. Perfecting one little discrepancy like this may never materialize into something that will make any difference for the average athlete, but giving attention to 4 or 5 of these little nuances may well add up to a quantifiable difference for a competitive athlete, particularly one at a very high level. I think that's what songsangnim was implying.

Mr Shadow
11-15-2011, 01:02 PM
While this is a nuance of an issue for most, you can't negate it as completely pointless for any and all to consider. Perfecting one little discrepancy like this may never materialize into something that will make any difference for the average athlete, but giving attention to 4 or 5 of these little nuances may well add up to a quantifiable difference for a competitive athlete, particularly one at a very high level. I think that's what songsangnim was implying.

I can agree with that. I don't think carbs PWO is one of them, but I definitely agree that fixing a few minor things can really impact your total growth in whatever goal you're trying to accomplish. Good post.

Songsangnim
11-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Yes, this was what I was getting at... but you articulated it a lot better than I did.