PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift question

2kool
10-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I need some help with the bottom part of my deadlift. I feel like the weakest part of that lift for me is the first few inches off the floor. Once I get to the knees I know I can get the lift. Probably 90% of my failures are from not getting a good start from the floor. I try to keep everything tight and my back straight with my chest out, but sometimes I lose that tightness in the first few inches. I know the keys to deadlifting (pushing through heels, pulling the bar "back" keeping in contact with shins etc) and I really dont have bad form, I just need tips on how to keep everything tight for those first few inches and get more power off the floor.

Should I work on strengthening my abdominals more?
Focus on some good mornings/stiff leg DL's for my lower back strength?
What lifts can I do to help with this problem? Deficit Deads, etc?

By the way I deadlift "sumo" with a pretty wide stance.

Thanks for your help.

Dank27
10-19-2011, 05:00 AM
I struggle from the same sticking points. Building my confidence right off the platform has been the biggest hurdle for me. I am lifting conventional and am a touch over 6'4 so I gravity working against me from minute one.
Im curious to hear what some of the vets have to say on this matter

Mark!
10-19-2011, 05:31 AM
deficit deads helped me off the floor a lot. High rep, explosive lighter weight deadlifts as well to help with that speed off the floor. Once speed is built up, it's easier to move past sticking points, same as benching. If you have them, bands will help too, if you don't move quick enough off the floor with bands, you won't get to lockout easily. Dang, being 6'4 and pulling conventional must suck, haha.

Dank27
10-19-2011, 06:35 AM
deficit deads helped me off the floor a lot. High rep, explosive lighter weight deadlifts as well to help with that speed off the floor. Once speed is built up, it's easier to move past sticking points, same as benching. If you have them, bands will help too, if you don't move quick enough off the floor with bands, you won't get to lockout easily. Dang, being 6'4 and pulling conventional must suck, haha.

Haha, Yea its not cake walk. Couple that with having the belly in the way (BW Between 305-325) it certainly keeps it interesting. Oddly enough I have a strong lockou and once I hit just below the knee I usually nail the lift. I need to incorporate more speed work but I find when I am doing that I incorporate my lower back almost primarily so I need to concentrate on sitting back a bit more.

Christianiron
10-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Initial drive ,especially with Sumo style comes largely from the legs. Paused at bottom position squats, Jefferson squats, and deficit deads, banded deads are all possible aids IMO.

JSully
10-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Deficit deads did the trick for me with a 2-4" deficit. For 3 months I didn't even pull off the floor. I started with the bar at knee height and dropped down 1-2" every other week until I was 2" above the floor, then I dropped to 1" deficits for 2 weeks, 2", 3", 4", 3" then pulled a HUGE PR (635) @ 2" deficit, more weight than I have ever even pulled off the floor.

Lifter213
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
I need some help with the bottom part of my deadlift. I feel like the weakest part of that lift for me is the first few inches off the floor. Once I get to the knees I know I can get the lift. Probably 90% of my failures are from not getting a good start from the floor. I try to keep everything tight and my back straight with my chest out, but sometimes I lose that tightness in the first few inches. I know the keys to deadlifting (pushing through heels, pulling the bar "back" keeping in contact with shins etc) and I really dont have bad form, I just need tips on how to keep everything tight for those first few inches and get more power off the floor.

Should I work on strengthening my abdominals more?
Focus on some good mornings/stiff leg DL's for my lower back strength?
What lifts can I do to help with this problem? Deficit Deads, etc?

By the way I deadlift "sumo" with a pretty wide stance.

Thanks for your help.

Deficit Deadlifts off a 4" box. Also make sure your pulling every rep as explosive as you can. If you dead sumo style the initial part of the pull is the hardest to get started, so try pulling standing on a box and possibly even front squats to build more quad strength to help with the force of the bar off the ground.

Christianiron
10-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Remember the great lightweight lifter Don Blue.... did deficit deads off a milk crate & insane deadlifting volume

Brian Hopper
10-20-2011, 09:09 AM
My vote is for deficit pulls off a 2-3" platform with straightweight, against bands or chains. Everything you mentioned won't hurt either, but I would definitely work on some deficits.

theBarzeen
10-20-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm 6'4" and pull conventional now, used to pull sumo.
Conventional sounds like a bad deal but if you look at all of the top pullers most of them are both tall and pull conventional....

Slow off of the floor sumo means that your gear isn't right or you aren't working it hard.
You can also work your quads a bit. Shoulder width leg press etc... that's what helped me.

My money is on one of those two..... that, then working deficit deadlifts

If that doesn't work..... come back to the conventional side.....

2kool
10-20-2011, 09:25 PM
thanks for the responses, im going to incorporate deficit and speed work into my routine. alot of people mention quads, are they used more in the sumo deadlift than in a conventional? oh and i dont use any gear and im not tall either. 5 foot 7 on a good day. i used to deadlift conventional but i started trying sumo and felt much stronger. just gotta work on my power off the floor.