PDA

View Full Version : wall squats (facing)

JSully
10-19-2011, 08:24 AM
how many of you can actually do these without falling over? do you do them slow and controlled or fast and bouncy?

this doesn't make sense to me. I just squatted down in front of a wall with my forehead, knees and toes touching, and I had to hold onto something just to stay upright. I also don't know what they would be good for, thoughts?

jppoole2003
10-19-2011, 10:05 AM
IMO if you dont know what they are good for you shoudnt do them.
Everything in your training arsenal should have a clear purpose or its a waste.

JSully
10-19-2011, 10:41 AM
IMO if you dont know what they are good for you shoudnt do them.
Everything in your training arsenal should have a clear purpose or its a waste.

I didn't say I was adding them to my 'arsenal'. I just happened to come across them and try them for fun. After failing it made me wonder wtf they were for and if anybody else had done the same thing.

Pure Water
10-19-2011, 11:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJgSna_H69o

Murph1001
10-19-2011, 06:07 PM
I use them to teach high school kids how to squat correctly. It forces you to sit back on your heels. Wall squats and Goblet squats make my life a lot easier.

Brian Hopper
10-19-2011, 10:33 PM
I like to perform wall squats as a warmup and to help me keep my squat form in check. IMO, that's what they are best for. I do them slow and controlled. Sometimes with a broomstick or a mini band around my knees to make me force my knees out.

JSully
10-20-2011, 06:25 AM
I like to perform wall squats as a warmup and to help me keep my squat form in check. IMO, that's what they are best for. I do them slow and controlled. Sometimes with a broomstick or a mini band around my knees to make me force my knees out.
do you hold onto a dumbbell or anything so you don't fall backwards? It just befuddles me how your center of gravity is so thrown off yet you guys can do them without falling backwards.

ThomasG
10-20-2011, 06:45 AM
When I have a client that leans forward too much I put them in front of a wall....

Brian C
10-20-2011, 08:21 AM
One thing Jake, how close of a stance did you use? A narrow stance makes it extremely tough to stay off the wall or falling back. A medium to wide stance works for me(my comp stance)

Brian Hopper
10-20-2011, 09:02 AM
do you hold onto a dumbbell or anything so you don't fall backwards? It just befuddles me how your center of gravity is so thrown off yet you guys can do them without falling backwards.

No, I havent done them with DB's...but I have done them with a cambared bar and some 10lb plates. I mainly do them with a broomstick.

Maybe you are doing them wrong. Are performing them like a free squat? Are you going straight up and down or are you sitting back by starting with your hips? Also, like BC said, what kind of stance are you using?

JSully
10-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Maybe you are doing them wrong. Are performing them like a free squat? Are you going straight up and down or are you sitting back by starting with your hips? Also, like BC said, what kind of stance are you using?

I sat back by starting with my hips. My stance was about the same as my PL squat, about 2-4" outside shoulder width. I just tried again and as soon as I drop into the hole, my center of gravity was so far behind me I fell backwards, lol.. When I squat usually, my knees are parallel with or behind my toes, but my head/upper body is forward enough to counter my loss of balance. Is this a flexibility issue? weak hams/glutes? thoughts?

EDIT: I just did it again with my toes 3" out from the wall and had no issues at all, knees were behind my toes and forehead was touching the wall..

Brian Hopper
10-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Maybe that's what your problem is, you were probably too close to the wall. My feet are usually about 2-3" away from the wall.

JSully
10-20-2011, 05:02 PM
OH, I thought toes had to be touching the wall.. that makes more sense now

Brian Hopper
10-20-2011, 07:22 PM
OH, I thought toes had to be touching the wall.. that makes more sense now

No, I'm sure some can but I can't.