PDA

View Full Version : training your arch

thewicked
10-20-2011, 08:19 PM
been working on my arch and love it but for me to have the arch I need I need to be able to keep my ass down that floats off and on on the press command. When you arch do you drive the weight onto your traps AND shove your low back and hips DOWN into the bench? How do you increase ankle flexibility to allow your feet to come back but stay flat?

Also...what does it mean to carry the bar on your lats? I squeeze my back and tighten up but I feel like I'm still not understanding this concept

ct67_72
10-20-2011, 09:06 PM
video would help.
I go by Tates ideals. if your knees are bent 90 and your driving your legs, your ass has no where to go but up. make sure your legs are either back under you, or out in front of you, at more, or less than 90 degrees.
I had problems lifting my ass, and bringing my feet back under me is what solved it.
you can see my setup fairly well here. feet back under me, hips up. all I can do is drive back.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/driftsil40/bench1.jpg

hope this helps

thewicked
10-20-2011, 09:09 PM
so how do you get your feet that far back and flat? and you still drive your feet hard into the ground with no issue?

ct67_72
10-20-2011, 09:36 PM
sorry, should have said that. feet are not flat, no way to get feet flat that far back. Im on my toes, but still driving my heels down. doesnt matter if they are touching the floor or not, your pressing down through your heels.
heres the only pic I can find that shows my feet. I also try and push my heels out away from the bench, and it keeps me from rolling my feet in on the inside while Im driving my legs.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/driftsil40/benchwarmup.jpg

ChadDresden
10-20-2011, 10:51 PM
I used to have a problem keeping my butt on the bench when I arched. When you get set up, force your knees out and you'll feel your butt go down a few inches.

Dank27
10-21-2011, 09:49 AM
I have a similar set up. I keep my feet as far back as possible. This helps to keep my belly up and my butt down.

mastermonster
10-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Similar to the earlier comment about pushing your knee out. I widened my feet at setup. Find the right width for your legs length and you can drive down as hard as you want and your butt can't come off the bench.

theBarzeen
10-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I gave up on keeping my feet back and just planted them out wide.... I get better leg drive that way.

The idea, either way, is to push the heel down, not the toe, and drive your quads like you are trying to shove your toes through the toe of your shoe.... pushing you back toward the spotter....

good luck

Rob Luyando
10-21-2011, 05:57 PM
reguardless of your foot position the concept of leg drive remains the same. If your ass is coming off the bench you are driving with your toes which will cause you to drive off the bench. If you drive with your heals you will drive up the bench not off the bench. You will also get more power from your leg drive if you drive with your heals. As for increasing your arch work on your getting a tighter and tighter arch and also work you hip flexability.

thewicked
10-21-2011, 06:41 PM
thanks guys I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow or sunday

Christianiron
10-24-2011, 11:41 AM
I used to bench with feet on toes to get better arch, but some feds don't allow it & I got out of the habit. This has been a good thread, nice tips