PDA

View Full Version : ME & westside

JSully
10-25-2011, 09:26 AM
what is protocol for how heavy to go on ME day?

I know you work triples until you can't anymore, then drop to singles.. but how heavy are these singles supposed to be? 90% 95% 100%

How many of them do you do?

MarcusWild
10-25-2011, 09:45 AM
The triples part isn't really true. The goal is to do 3 singles at 90% or above.

JSully
10-25-2011, 10:16 AM
The goal is to do 3 singles at 90% or above.

at what point do you stop though? I cant imagine you're shooting for a PR every week, right?

For instance, I hit a PR of 655 last night on deads. 90% of this would be 589.5. So for my ME work, I would work up to 3 sets over 590. So maybe 605, 625, 645 and call it?

I imagine it would probably be just by feel. If 605 feels heavier than usual, then smaller jumps and a lower overall # for the day. In contrast, if 605 flies off the ground easier than ever, it may be a day to shoot for a PR. I'm just trying to see what some other guys are doing in relation to their PRs.

joey54
10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Maybe plan for 5 lb prs in upper lifts and 10 lb prs in lower body lifts each time the exercise comes up in your rotation. Rather than percentages, base your workout on what it will take to achieve that last lift. And if things are going well, maybe even attempt a little more. From discussions with Travis Bell, it seems beneficial not to get too caught up in percents, but focus rather on straining and hitting prs. Sure those with more experience and knowledge will expand.

vdizenzo
10-25-2011, 11:40 AM
You need to be switching up max effort exercises. If I am not mistaken, you should be going for pr every ME session. As far as my triples when working up, I go until I feel like the next set of triples could be difficult. Instead of a triple on that set, I change to singles from there on out.

I know some go by Prilepins chart with how many reps at what percentage. However, I have talked training with many of the strongest people in the world and I can't remember every hearing one person splitting hairs over this. It's load the bar up and move it. Remember, when all else fails SFW!

MarcusWild
10-25-2011, 06:03 PM
You need to be switching up max effort exercises. If I am not mistaken, you should be going for pr every ME session. As far as my triples when working up, I go until I feel like the next set of triples could be difficult. Instead of a triple on that set, I change to singles from there on out.

I know some go by Prilepins chart with how many reps at what percentage. However, I have talked training with many of the strongest people in the world and I can't remember every hearing one person splitting hairs over this. It's load the bar up and move it. Remember, when all else fails SFW!

Exactly. I'm pretty sure the guys at Westide aren't going around with a chart or a calculator to figure out what percent they are using. You go by feel. The goal is to PR. Sometimes it's a small PR, and sometimes it's a bigger PR. You have to know how you feel that day. I usually go for a small PR, and then if I feel good go for a bigger PR. I don't see a point in missing though. I know once my form starts to break down, I usually have one more heavy lift in me.

Lones Green
10-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah if you switch up your exercises correctly, you should have no problem hitting at least a 5 pound PR every max effort session.

RFabsik
10-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Do you guys find even lower weight classes and/or intermediates going up in 5-10lb prs per session?

chris mason
10-25-2011, 09:04 PM
what is protocol for how heavy to go on ME day?

I know you work triples until you can't anymore, then drop to singles.. but how heavy are these singles supposed to be? 90% 95% 100%

How many of them do you do?

You don't work triples until you can't do them anymore and then do singles. You simply warm-up to a 1RM attempt. No ambiguity there. You go for your best 1RM max that day on that exercise with the caveat you don't get yourself emotionally jacked for the attempt. It is a 1RM under calm conditions. If you get jacked every ME session you will burnout your CNS in short order.

MarcusWild
10-25-2011, 09:57 PM
I think it's even easier for intermediate guys to PR. A lot depends on how often you rotate your ME movements. If you rotate them every 3 weeks and expect to hit 10 lb PRs, that's not very realistic.

kingns
10-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Im gonna chime in just to say I get a lot stronger when doing for a 3 rm than a 1 rm. But since my maxes are in the 300-600 lb range as opposed to a top level guy whos various maxes are in the 400-900 lb range, I just dont get the same amount of work a 1rm gives the more experienced guy

JSully
10-25-2011, 11:38 PM
thanks for all the input fellas