PDA

View Full Version : Box squat - critique please

thecityalive
10-27-2011, 06:06 PM
SzjvM5HLwVc

Some things I am noticing:
1. I may not be going back far enough or my shins are too angled
2. Slight imbalance of weight (see end of first set)
3. Descent may be a bit fast.

RFabsik
10-27-2011, 07:14 PM
I thought descent speed was fine.

I agree that going back a little more would be better for posterior chain. For geared lifters getting the shins perpendicular or beyond is key. I think for raw lifters, shoot for perpendicular but it doesn't have to be perfect?

As you get better at sitting back, you might want a slightly lower box. Currently it looks to me like you are just at or slightly above parallel.

How are you incorporating the box squats into your routine? I'm used to seeing people use them dynamically or for max effort.

thecityalive
10-28-2011, 09:21 AM
So if this isn't dynamic effort, would you call it repeated effort? I feel like this is a near maximal load just without the ascent speed of a dynamic squat. Perhaps it is one or the other...or something completely out of left field. This is why I welcome critique...This helps me develop my training.

chris mason
10-28-2011, 09:27 AM
You are not sitting back nearly enough and that bench is really too high for box squats.

thecityalive
10-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks, Chris. I figured as much with the height. I think I will just stack some bumper plates on the ground and Rx it.

JSully
10-28-2011, 09:37 AM
I forgot to mention that yesterday, that bench is probably 2-3" too high.

Not terrible for practicing the technique of a box squat, but not going to nail your hams, glutes and hip flexors like a low or parallel box would.

RFabsik
10-28-2011, 11:16 AM
I guess doing 5's starts to be more of a repeated effort method.
If you are leaning toward a Westside Program, I'd stick with their basics before mixing it up with different ranges, percentages etc.

Doing the Box Squats in the DE fashion 8-12 sets of doubles is great because it gives you lots of practice as well as working speed.