PDA

View Full Version : Mouth guard

NITF
10-27-2011, 07:10 PM
So I've started to find I grit/grind my teeth when lifted; especially on bench and deadlift. I do this pretty much without thinking about it so I'm finding it difficult to control.
I know this is a bad habit and that it can probably do damage to my mouth and teeth. With this in mind I see 2 courses of action: 1. try to break the habit or, 2. get a good mouth guard.
Now, it might seem obvious that the best option is to simply stop doing it, but I already feel like that may not be the most realistic option. Just seeking general advice/input on this issue and if anyone wants to recommend a good mouth guard.

Travis Bell
10-27-2011, 08:12 PM
I used to grind my teeth, but once I started taking a big breath of air before lifting, I wasn't able to grind them any more.

But if you have to use one, go for it. Not a super big deal. Just be sure you can breath correctly with whatever one you go with.

thecityalive
10-27-2011, 08:23 PM
I saw a pamphlet in my gym in regards to an under armor mouth piece that helps solve this or acts as a non-contact sport mouth guard.

NITF
10-28-2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the advice on breath work/control... will give it a try!

johnnyo_99
10-28-2011, 12:45 PM
i use a mouthguard on all my ME lifts. I tend to clench my teeth very hard and have chipped teeth in the past. nothing wrong with using a mouthguard imo.

Christianiron
10-28-2011, 01:16 PM
I use a cheap MG on heavy lifts and I like it.... would a custom fitted expensive one be even better? I suppose, but its really not in the budget

kingns
10-28-2011, 05:41 PM
I use a mouth guard ALL THE TIME NOW. I get headaches from heavy lifting, not from grinding my teeth and the mouthguard seems to solve that problem for me. THe nice mouthguards cost a lot though. Its sorta a pain in the butt wearing the mouthguard, you look stupid with one in, and its a pain taking it out whenever someone wants to talk to you. But aleviating the headaches is worth it.

theBarzeen
10-28-2011, 08:37 PM
That Under Armor mouth guard is ~$100...... !

I tried a few mouth guards because I used to clench pretty bad. In the end it was just easier to take a big breath and not clench than to have to deal with one more thing on the platform.