PDA

View Full Version : Squat sticking point?

barryisawinnah
10-27-2011, 08:10 PM
This is a pretty normal sticking point for raw squats, right? Just need to keep getting stronger all over?

Thanks
Bryan

6KyJUajI6_Q

theBarzeen
10-28-2011, 08:42 PM
what sticking point?

you mean at the top where you slowed down a little?

Everyone is different. From training multi-ply, when I squat raw I am slower out of the hole but the top half is always fast.....
If you miss a squat, is the top where you would miss it, or is the top just slow?
Sticking point to me is where you'd miss a weight.

barryisawinnah
10-28-2011, 09:02 PM
what sticking point?

you mean at the top where you slowed down a little?

Everyone is different. From training multi-ply, when I squat raw I am slower out of the hole but the top half is always fast.....
If you miss a squat, is the top where you would miss it, or is the top just slow?
Sticking point to me is where you'd miss a weight.

Thanks, yeah where I slow down at is where I miss at. Don't have video of misses though. It is more like the weight will cause me to collapse.

theBarzeen
10-29-2011, 05:46 PM
it could just be a weak upper back.... is it the upper back that collapses or the hips that can't finish the movement at the top?

barryisawinnah
10-29-2011, 06:33 PM
it could just be a weak upper back.... is it the upper back that collapses or the hips that can't finish the movement at the top?

hrmm, not totally sure but I do have lockout issues with deadlift with makes me think it could be upper back.

Does that sound right?

Dank27
10-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Sounds like your upper back may be the main issue. Work on building up you back strength and you will see some great improvement

barryisawinnah
10-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Sounds like your upper back may be the main issue. Work on building up you back strength and you will see some great improvement

definitely

thanks

On yoke walks I definitely feel that my upper back is limiting me as well, so time to really hammer the upper back. Any suggestions out there other than rows really?

theBarzeen
10-30-2011, 11:37 AM
high pulls on a pulley machine ( both high and low pulleys with a rope or strap)
Deadlifts against bands
Deadlifting in the rack from the knees up
kettlebell swings or tosses
safety squat bar work

barryisawinnah
10-30-2011, 02:43 PM
high pulls on a pulley machine ( both high and low pulleys with a rope or strap)
Deadlifts against bands
Deadlifting in the rack from the knees up
kettlebell swings or tosses
safety squat bar work

Thanks, moving back to Florida in mid-December, so I will finally have access to a SSB. Will add in the other things

mastermonster
10-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Here's my input. You're very flexible apparently and can drop fast and bottom out in the hole and basically bounce out of it. Basically a stretchy single ply style suit technique with a raw squat, as in Brian Sider's earlier technique. You are pretty much slingshoting the weight up out of the hole through the weak point (where you struggle slightly at the mid transition point) and then into another strong point (locking the last part to completion). I don't think the weakness is upper back as much as lower back and quads. You're 'throwing' the weight through the point in the squat where they are involved most with the bounce / rebound style you're doing. A lot of good squatter have been successful with this style over the years (easpecially single ply guys). But, it can lead to some knee, quad and low back injuries easily as you go on up in weight. And at 405 raw you're approaching the kind of weight where counting on rebound and momentum can hurt you; especially raw. Bottom line is it may not lead to a long career. What I'd suggest is doing some box squats with the box set to stop you about an inch or so below parallel. Don't sit on the box or bounce off of it. Just go til you feel it and don't alter your squat motion. Just start up from that point. You'll be forcing the quads and low back to engage harder to squat the weight through that point and not be relaxed while it's thrown past that point. Eventually you'll be wanting to squat more weight than you can bounce like that anyway; so now would be a good time to be strengthening all the muscles involved to do so. Good luck!

BloodandThunder
10-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Your back angle starts to open up as you come up. Divebomb squats usually end up as a bastardized GM-Squat lovechild. Keep hitting the squats and work some heavy GMs and remember to keep those elbows down and your chest up. Might want to break more at the hip and not the knee (looks like youhave Oly shoes though).

ScottYard
10-31-2011, 03:12 PM
For me quads and abs seem to affect my lockout

RhodeHouse
11-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I think MasterMonster hit it on the head. You heave the weight through the weak point. Eventually, it will catch up to you and you'll injure yourself.

I'd just try to slow down your dcent just a little bit. Be more in control. Don't go as deep, either. This will lead to some low back issues, especially bending forward out of the hole. When the weights get really heavy, they will win and you'll face plant.

Get your whole body stronger and try to tighten up your form. Be conrolled. if that means slowing down, then do it.

barryisawinnah
11-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks everybody, btw I do not think all my squats look like this one. I guess I was really trying to make sure I sunk this one. Here is a set from a few weeks ago.

NHQmgPRyn2M

edit: upon watching the video again, maybe they all do look like that one